Should we play 3-5-2 ?

There's no doubt Lescott not signing may be a disappointment to some of us but if there was any doubt about his fitness or he had a change of mind then it's a bullet dodged for me.

And I'm not convinced Senderos has played enough games over the past couple of years to merit a contract.

We're looking at defenders because we're conceding too many goals particularly at set pieces.So what now ?

I'd suggest a 3-5-2 (5-3-2) system. At least for just now anyway. The back 3 would consist of wilson, Kiernan & Matt Crooks who at 6'5" should be able to take responsibilty at set pieces leaving wilson & Kiernan markers.

The 5 would consist of a central MF three of Barton, Rossiter & probably Forrester. Both FB's Wallace & Tavernier would provide the width in attack & defence as a3-5-2 going forward & a 5-3-2 defending.

Up front would be Garner(or Miller) with either McKay, Waghorn or O'Halloran supporting.

Thoughts ?

His injury is over but his fitness is weeks behind the rest.

Yeah that's fairly evident, there is no chance he will be going in anytime soon as I have seen the manager comment that he will be playing a minimum of two under 20 matches before he will get a sniff at the first team. That will be like watching the hulk bully those boys.

There's no doubt Lescott not signing may be a disappointment to some of us but if there was any doubt about his fitness or he had a change of mind then it's a bullet dodged for me.

And I'm not convinced Senderos has played enough games over the past couple of years to merit a contract.

We're looking at defenders because we're conceding too many goals particularly at set pieces.So what now ?

I'd suggest a 3-5-2 (5-3-2) system. At least for just now anyway. The back 3 would consist of wilson, Kiernan & Matt Crooks who at 6'5" should be able to take responsibilty at set pieces leaving wilson & Kiernan markers.

The 5 would consist of a central MF three of Barton, Rossiter & probably Forrester. Both FB's Wallace & Tavernier would provide the width in attack & defence as a3-5-2 going forward & a 5-3-2 defending.

Up front would be Garner(or Miller) with either McKay, Waghorn or O'Halloran supporting.

Thoughts ?

We aren't conceding many goals from open play though so with that being the case you don't have the need to change the formation. What you/we really need is to get Crooks fit and then find a place in the team for him - however, that assumes that he brings more to the team than just an aerial presence at defensive set pieces.

The goal we lost against Accies was error-ridden but also involved some bad luck with how it bounced around to end up with Crawford - but the formation wasn't the issue in that instance, it was just poor defending.

That said, playing a 3-5-2 might be a way of getting Crooks into that team. But it also then displaces individuals as well. Tav and Wallace would be wide in the "5" leaving 3 through the centre - you would have to think Barton and Rossiter would be certain starters (though I would consider Holt over Barton), then one from Kranjcar and Forrester - or you could even have McKay playing the "10" in front of them - which in essence makes it a 3-4-1-2 - up front I would partner Waggy and Dodoo.

The more I see it the more I like the look of it - but it would also leave us exposed defensively to any team playing wide - Tav and Wallace would have to be very disciplined.

Something needs to be done. If we start conceding the number of goals we were conceding towards the end of last season we have absolutely no chance of winning the title.

I was dreading every time Dundee got corner or free kick in the 2nd half last week. We must sort this out before we play the yahoos

Edited by RANGERRAB

It's a moot point really, because we have no say in the matter. Interesting to think of possible combinations with the 3-5-2. I like the formation -- Juventus have done wonderful things with it with the tactical nous of Conte at the helm -- and you can see us adopt it with our current squad quite easily.

I think Craig makes a good point: we're not conceding from open play so there's no real need to change formation. We must sort out set-pieces, which is a different problem entirely. We could bring in certain players, like Crooks, to provide a more physical threat, but that can be done with the current formation.

I don't think it's physicality -- although it has played it's part as we do have a small team. I think it's organisation. How many times have players just not marked their man?

Edited by Rousseau