Banner for Saturday

I would guess an international and even English audience would have no idea what a fenian is but they do know what IRA means.

True enough, but how often do they use that abbreviation ... or how often have they sung it in past games (on Sky, with or without us) and there has been no fallout whatsoever?

True enough, but how often do they use that abbreviation ... or how often have they sung it in past games (on Sky, with or without us) and there has been no fallout whatsoever?

Even better if they use the unabbreviated title because here in the US that's just as well known and maybe even better known than the abbreviation is and since Americans are so insular I expect the same applies everywhere.

In the US the older generation knows it from the news and the younger from Sons of Anarchy which I have never watched a single episode of but apparently they feature heavily in a season of it.

Even better if they use the unabbreviated title because here in the US that's just as well known and maybe even better known than the abbreviation is and since Americans are so insular I expect the same applies everywhere.

In the US the older generation knows it from the news and the younger from Sons of Anarchy which I have never watched a single episode of but apparently they feature heavily in a season of it.

Unfortunately in America the IRA have a large support so anything IRA will be appreciated by the people that want to hear it and the people who don't will be Rangers supporters. I doubt if the neutral American will listen enough to care.

Unfortunately in America the IRA have a large support so anything IRA will be appreciated by the people that want to hear it and the people who don't will be Rangers supporters. I doubt if the neutral American will listen enough to care.

The irony of some people in the USA supporting a terrorist organisation is mind numbing by not surprising? Many years back not long after 11/9 I started seeing a girl from the US. She was a physicians assistant and worked in the local community doctors so a bit like a GP and not uneducated.

I had a few debates with her over various paradoxes and enjoyed them. However on a few times that I remember on this subject, on asking why the USA seemed so blasé and hypocritical on this particular issue(Irish terrorism) she couldn't elaborate on her answer and simply smiled when answering "it's because we can honey" "we're Americans".

I'm not having a pop at anyone from the USA just pointing out that many on various topics have no wish to gain knowledge on certain issues and are happy to follow like sheep.

Edited by cooponthewing

There is no proscribed list.

Police decide on offences and arrests based on context only. PF then decides whether to prosecute before Sheriff decides punishment if any.

It is all very, very subjective which is one of the new Act's biggest flaws.

On a sidenote: has it been determined or laid down what is "sectarian" in this new offensive bill by now, and which songs can be sung and which are No-Nos? Or is it still a decision of the Match Day Commander and the policeman (aided by stewards) at hand?

It was only ever designed to stop Rangers fans singing about f*****s

There is no proscribed list.

Police decide on offences and arrests based on context only. PF then decides whether to prosecute before Sheriff decides punishment if any.

It is all very, very subjective which is one of the new Act's biggest flaws.

Bang on. Its a minefield that has stoked division and resentment. Apart from the obvious ones suck as "Fenian" (directly targeting Rangers supporters) everything else is depending on how its used or sung or where it happened?? Was implemented to criminalise Rangers fans and unfortunately for those who drafted the bill it has also implicated many others which has caused quite the stir! Not what was intended.

She was a physicians assistant and worked in the local community doctors so a bit like a GP and not uneducated.

Nothing would surprise me, it's a nation where millions know nothing about anything outside their own state far less their own country. Vast numbers can't place the US on a map despite the fact it's a continent sized land mass.

I talked to a woman who was actually a primary school teacher who thought Scotland was a place 'somewhere in England'

When the Crimea incident blew up a couple of years ago many wanted to go to war with Russia because they thought Crimea was a place some where up North in the US. They don't grasp war with Russia isn't like kicking Arab ass and would be a conflict to put WW2 in the shade.

More than half the population think angels are real and the Earth is only ten thousand years old at most while humans appeared on it exactly as we are right now by magic spell in a single day some six thousand or so years ago and Jesus will be coming back in their lifetime. A good conspiracy theory will always be given more credibility than demonstrable reality.

I know more about the governance of their country and the history and geography of their country than most of them do.

you only have to look at "The Quiet Man" , the John Ford movie with Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne, to see how the IRA is portrayed as young scamps with boy scout uniforms to see how misinformed Americans are about the IRA