Banner for Saturday

Any reminder shouldn't be done by song, as it comes across as if we're celebrating what happened.

It is all about banners. Something like ...

Penn State paid $60 million - how much did you pay?

This is how the NCAA handled Penn State back then:

The Freeh Report had far-reaching outcomes for Penn State. The NCAA used the Freeh Report in lieu of its own investigation to impose sanctions on the Penn State football program. On July 23, 2012, the NCAA imposed a $60 million fine, four-year postseason ban, scholarship reductions, and vacated all victories from 1998 to 2011.[10] These sanctions were considered to be among the most severe ever imposed on an NCAA member school. NCAA President Mark Emmert stated that the sanctions were levied "not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture and daily mindset in which football will never again be placed ahead of education, nurturing and protecting young people."[11] The Big Ten Conference subsequently imposed an additional $13 million fine.[12] In 2014, the NCAA reversed course. It rescinded the postseason ban, restored scholarships, and re-credited Penn State and Paterno with their victories from 1998 to 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

Of course, it is rather cynical banter, but essentially just that. As we can see above, they happily sing along about the 66 dead and Davie Cooper ...

Must be age,I'm the same,can't be arsed with it all,but ecstatic if we beat them

Same here, Ian. I don't know if it is just age - the Martian followed by TLRB, Reid etc. and then 2012 and their behaviour has meant I never want to be on the same planet far less the same pitch as them and would rather never see them again. Yetit is in my DNA to go through the ceiling when we score and then skywards roof if/when we win.

I am working this Saturday and will only be able to glance at the scores at certain times.

Nerves will be well and truly shredded

Edited by SteveC

Same here, absolutely hate watching on the telly and it seems to get worse as the years go on. Ihave been quite happy not playing them in recent years.

Me too!, I don't mind watching it on TV too much but attending is not so appealing,having said that I have my ST and will attend the Ibrox fixtures,unless I'm away working.

It is all about banners. Something like ...

Penn State paid $60 million - how much did you pay?

This is how the NCAA handled Penn State back then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

Of course, it is rather cynical banter, but essentially just that. As we can see above, they happily sing along about the 66 dead and Davie Cooper ...

It may be "just" cynical banter. But I, for one, would rather we rise above it. It isn't banter to the victims. We are appalled, and rightly so, when they sing about the Disaster or Davie Cooper or even Ian Durrant's injury - so in making banners about "Penn State" or anything remotely along the lines of child abuse (sexual or otherwise) then we really have no right to be offended when they do sing those songs about the disaster etc. It is hypocrisy.

You cant have it both ways. Being offended by their mocking of the 66 is perfectly reasonable. But to then find it as only "banter" when talking about young children's lives being effectively ended thanks to some sadistic beast is hypocrisy in the extreme.

We are far, far better than that - or at least we should be.

It may be "just" cynical banter. But I, for one, would rather we rise above it. It isn't banter to the victims. We are appalled, and rightly so, when they sing about the Disaster or Davie Cooper or even Ian Durrant's injury - so in making banners about "Penn State" or anything remotely along the lines of child abuse (sexual or otherwise) then we really have no right to be offended when they do sing those songs about the disaster etc. It is hypocrisy.

You cant have it both ways. Being offended by their mocking of the 66 is perfectly reasonable. But to then find it as only "banter" when talking about young children's lives being effectively ended thanks to some sadistic beast is hypocrisy in the extreme.

Different angle.

Penn State was rightly fined for their people's sins. The Yahoos kept their stuff hidden and even when it became officially known, they did nothing to atone ... nor were they taken to the cleaners. We are being e.g. chased for songs that are not even sectarian ... but are deemed so by this lot and their cohorts. Asking for a level playing field openly may change that.

Edited by der Berliner

I really hope we keep the songs above anything that can be held against us. Everyone at home in front of telly or catching it on radio should be listening to anything that comes from them that is remotely sectarian/pro terrorist and anti Protestant.They should report it to the authorities and if sky do not apologise on air then complain.

This all seems childish and OTT, and I agree, it is, however make no mistake that this lot and their cohorts will/would do just the same, and worse, to us. Normally we are not ready so let's be aware this time and report anything unsavoury at the farmyard. Having said that, all this can only be done if we don't stoop to their sewer licking depths!. So if we do, and the full song book comes out, best just sit and watch the match lads lol.

Different angle.

Penn State was rightly fined for their people's sins. The Yahoos kept their stuff hidden and even when it became officially known, they did nothing to atone ... nor were they taken to the cleaners. We are being e.g. chased for songs that are not even sectarian ... but are deemed so by this lot and their cohorts. Asking for a level playing field openly may change that.

And you honestly think a "Penn State" banner would ensure a level playing field ??

We BOTH know the answer to that - and we both know that rather than a level playing field we would, rightly, be treated like lepers.

Further, Penn State were fined because the NCAA's regulations allow for it. On what grounds could the SFA as footballing authorities fine Celtic ? You are trying to equate two different systems and jurisdictions when they can't be. Morally sure, but legalistically they are very different systems.

Sorry Craig, I'm once again going to disagree with you. Maybe you just haven't thought about it but you are equating the mocking of victims of accidental death with the mocking of covering up perpetrators of paedophilia, which is a bit extreme.

Paedophiles are NOT victims and you seem to be accidentally condoning doing nothing about them. Hushing up such stuff has led to so much suffering by children so I can't understand your attitude about it being hypocritical to condemn the cover ups.

The suggestion that demanding justice for victims of paedophiles is equal to actually celebrating accidental mass deaths is something I find quite appalling.

I don't condone the using of the Torbet stuff for point scoring, it's too serious, and always want any banners we show and songs we sing to be totally about Rangers (and seem to be in a tiny minority there) - BUT to me, the two things you equate are completely diametrically opposed, and only encourage the brushing under the carpet of horrific crimes.

I can't subscribe to that.