Ally McCoist: I have no regrets over time as Rangers manager

I don't know what to make of that article?? Was he drunk while being interviewed?? His style of football was just awful. What's that got to do with "timing"??

He has never thought there was anything wrong with his style. He says it is myth that his teams didn't play attractive football, his actual words re this were along the lines of "if you repeat a lie often enough people start to believe it".

Edited by SteveC

The Rangers News was always telling us that Ally was, 'some chanter' when karaoke beckoned.

Maybe Ally should seriously explore becoming a chanteur of chanson? A duet with the little sparrow is a must.

Maybe he could do Jacques Brel (one of those pesky famous Belgians).

"We had joy, we had fun, We had seasons in the sun".........

Id wonder if those who slate Ally would have done anything different with regards to his salary had they been in his shoes.

On the football side of it his tactics was well off and the players didn't look fit. There was a spell early is his days where we did actually play well and won some good games, I recall a win at Fir Park when we were full blown attacking. But then it went out the window.

His footballing side and financial side are two different things, and like I said I very much doubt those who criticise him would have not picked up the same salary had they been given it.

I think the man deserves a bit more respect taking his legendary playing status into consideration.

Id wonder if those who slate Ally would have done anything different with regards to his salary had they been in his shoes.

On the football side of it his tactics was well off and the players didn't look fit. There was a spell early is his days where we did actually play well and won some good games, I recall a win at Fir Park when we were full blown attacking. But then it went out the window.

His footballing side and financial side are two different things, and like I said I very much doubt those who criticise him would have not picked up the same salary had they been given it.

I think the man deserves a bit more respect taking his legendary playing status into consideration.

I'd have earned it. So that's different.

I'd have earned it. So that's different.

That's fair enough. Your only entitled to whatever your employer pays though. Is Wayne Rooney worth 300k a week? And should he drop 50% next year when his form continues to decline? No I don't think so. No footballer will give us or offer a drop in wages.

Edited by Gribz

That's fair enough. Your only entitled to whatever your employer pays though. Is Wayne Rooney worth 300k a week? And should he drop 50% next year when his form continues to decline? No I don't think so. No footballer will give us or offer a drop in wages.

If his effort doesn't drop then he's fine.

Ally didn't care how we played because playing well is harder work.

His boss should have demanded more or sacked him.

If hedoesn't regret the years we wasted under him I despair. I certainly do.

I can always recall leaving the stadium the day we lost at home to Annan and thinking McCoist would surely do the honourable thing and resign by Monday.

But there was no chance of it was there ? McCoist knew he was in his first and last managerial position & was going to get every last penny out of it regardless of whether it was Rangers or not.

McCoist had a budget which dwarfed the lower leagues of Scottish football but you'd never have guessed it. Part time coaches out-thought him as he'd little or no tactics or gameplan. The football was often horrendous to watch & the team didn't look fit enough either.

By the time we were halfway thro' the championship in what should have been our final season outside the top flight the game was well & truly over for Ally. A trip to well-organised QOS was the final nail in the coffin. Gardening leave duly followed trousering an eye-watering £ 750k p.a approx, a salary we couldnt afford which could be put to much better use elsewhere.

Ally might have no regrets. My only regret was he lasted as long as he did

McCoist was there to keep the fans eyes from seeing what big hands and his pals were up to. McCoist was only the tip of the iceberg .

McCoist as a player will always have my respect. As a manager he was an absolute disaster and his playing career deserves no mention whatsoever when discussing what we got for our money with him in charge.

McCoist was there to keep the fans eyes from seeing what big hands and his pals were up to. McCoist was only the tip of the iceberg .

As a manager he was an absolute disaster .

Correct. I am not doubting his managerial inabilities. But my point is would anyone who slates him have done anything other than take the salary? I really doubt that.