Club Statement: Joey Barton suspended for three weeks

This is clearly a very serious issue.

It's a pity the club won't offer clarity on why this action has been taken.

There might be a good reason for this or even a not so good reason = given the way everything about our club is handled by the MSM and the slavering hordes of our multiple enemies online, anything we say is dangerous and can inflame situations. Even a sensible, calm statement from Ibrox leads to apocalyptic headlines.

''Neither party will make any further statement or comment on this issue.''

You bet your last pound when MW does his press conference prior to tomorrows' match the first question will be about Barton!,now the club have stated in their statement the above quote!,I do hope if any reporter asks about him they will get ejected,or MW gets up and leaves!................

Release a statement prior to the Press Conference stating that if anyone asks a question about Barton the press conference ends there and then. Simple

There might be a good reason for this or even a not so good reason = given the way everything about our club is handled by the MSM and the slavering hordes of our multiple enemies online, anything we say is dangerous and can inflame situations. Even a sensible, calm statement from Ibrox leads to apocalyptic headlines.

We're obviously bound by employment law so that's probably the main (and valid) reason.

Release a statement prior to the Press Conference stating that if anyone asks a question about Barton the press conference ends there and then. Simple

You would think before the press conference starts they will be told!

Can't see a way back for him now. Yes, it'd be useful if the club gave us more information but at the same time that is just giving the MSM further reason to get all over-excited. I think the majority of us recognise that Warburton will have his reasons, and he'll be making a decision for the benefit of the club.

Most important thing is the team getting back to winning ways.

I would think he was handed a letter drafted by our lawyers:

1) detailing the complaint against him (breach of club rules)

2) referring to his subsequent media comments (possibly also a breach of club rules)

3) referring to his already having been advised to stay away from the training ground last week

4) formally suspending him for three or four weeks (including or excluding last week, depending on how last week was framed)

5) warning him that any repetition would lead to the immediate termination of his contract for cause.

I would then think that off the record, Warburton would have suggested it might be best for him to find a new Club. I suspect that is the main reason for the three weeks, because in football terms that's a heck of a long time and unlikely to be justified by the events. (There used to be a "rule" that the maximum suspension in contract terms was two weeks (wages), not sure if that still applies.) I would also think that the suspension would be on full pay. Nothing has been said to the contrary.

Since we only have Barton's version of events it is difficult to judge but IF he is subsequently dismissed then he might have a good case on the grounds that the initial action (first and final warning) was not justified by the events; but it looks like Rangers would be prepared to take their chances and any award by a tribunal would be reduced by a percentage to reflect his part in the events.

FWIW I don't think he has played that bad for us!,everybody seems to be jumping all over him just now,but his play hasn't be terrible,IMO.

He hasn't been any better or worse than the collective tbh. On one hand it would be interesting to see what he would bring to the table in a fully function team but on the other hand, I fail to see why bought him as we already had Halliday, Holt and now Rossiter that can all play a deeper role.