Celtic and Rangers could finally quit Scottish football...

I would assume that one way or another, UEFA will be involved. Else they'll block the path of any Atlantic League team to their competitions. As well as players playing within that league. They are as money-grabbing bastards as they are power-hungry. There is a very medieval Roman Catholic church like either us or nothing attitude there, no matter their own failings and corruption (which is also akin to the medieval RC).

The big question remains are the finances. What Scottish football gets now is peanuts compared to other countries. If that does not change, either through UEFA changing formats (no laughing at the back) or better TV deals, a Atlantic League would be the logic consequence. And, of course, it is a UFEA-created problem. I doubt the SFA and the rest of the Premiership teams will do anything other than oppose any such plans (unless they are involved), as they are quite content with having the OF about. If they drop out of the Scottish league, their future looks even more bleak than nowadays.

I would assume that one way or another, UEFA will be involved. Else they'll block the path of any Atlantic League team to their competitions. As well as players playing within that league. They are as money-grabbing bastards as they are power-hungry. There is a very medieval Roman Catholic church like either us or nothing attitude there, no matter their own failings and corruption (which is also akin to the medieval RC).

The big question remains are the finances. What Scottish football gets now is peanuts compared to other countries. If that does not change, either through UEFA changing formats (no laughing at the back) or better TV deals, a Atlantic League would be the logic consequence. And, of course, it is a UFEA-created problem. I doubt the SFA and the rest of the Premiership teams will do anything other than oppose any such plans (unless they are involved), as they are quite content with having the OF about. If they drop out of the Scottish league, their future looks even more bleak than nowadays.

UEFA and the SFA will both object unless somebody fills their pockets with gold and I doubt the idea is so popular that there is money to burn. I can't see it myself.

And in another 6 months time when yet another guy we've never heard of comes up with another idea I doubt if I'll see it then either,

no they won't.

The Atlantic League will be division 2

think you'll get promotions and relegations

No chance the knew champions league will end up a closed shop , we are heading down the NFL route

It wont be long before money takes over and a European Super League replaces the CL and MLS teams will be invited. The summer ICC games are growing and money always talks so changes in Football will come with globalisation. With that in mind and the state of Scottish Football an Atlantic league would be appealing if it was set up right. Id also try to pull in the Portuguese clubs Porto, Benfica and S Lisbon although these 3 are bordering being in with the big boys especially now that Portugal won the Euros.

If the SPL and SFA aren't going to make changes to the game for better and at least try summer football and a 16 or 18 team top division then these type of leagues has to be looked at. I know I would rather be travelling to Amsterdam or Copenhagen than the grounds in Scotland.

People can say these teams are "pub teams" but I doubt we'll (Old Firm) be beating them on any kind of regular basis. The sides mentioned are big (and historic) teams from small leagues, like ourselves; this is our level with the money involved.

I've always been excited about this idea, but it appears every few years so I'm not pinning my hopes on anything happening soon.

As things stand it's the only way forward for a team like Rangers stuck in a league like the SPL. I feel if it happened it could quickly become a big money earner as the teams involved began to strengthen from the new influx of cash. Doesn't anybody get the feeling that a closed shop champions league would become stale to viewers and that this would be an entertaining weekly alternative?

Wont the viewing public want to see a competition involving teams from their own country rather than watching the relative handful of foreign outfits in the Champions league? It could also rope in teams from some of the CL countries also locked out of the champions league. And how sweet would it be if it ultimately eclipsed it?

Wouldn't be surprised if those with money in Britain will whip up a "British League" with two tiers, even if it will mean that only two or three teams from each part other than England are involved, while the respective associations/leagues get a "annual fee" for the loss of their top teams and a possibility of a promotion slot for each countries' side. The Northern Irish, Welsh and even Scottish associations will bite the hands off anyone dangling an e.g. 10-20m annual payment* in front of them (still peanuts for Sky), for the "loss" of their prime teams. That money would be a welcome money injection over there, no matter how long the respective teams last in the British League. Sky could likewise use it as a marketing excercise, i.e. "we make British football strong again" ...

Obviously, it would mean that the CL participants would be drawn from that British League, but would that stop the likes of the OF from participating, if they earn 90+ million a season from TV deals alone?

*Pending on the participation of teams from those leagues.

Edited by der Berliner

The Champions League is already stale and boring. I haven't really been interested in the group stages for a long while. And even the latter stages throw up the same fixtures year on year. It needs a massive overhaul but they want the complete opposite. They would be delighted with Barca, Real, Bayern and 1 other in the semi's every year.

An atlantic league could be great for the Scottish game but the bosses wont like it now they've got their minimum 4 OF fixtures back