[FT] RB Leipzig 4 - 0 Rangers

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of negativity on this Rangers forum & others following yesterday's defeat in a friendly.

There's only one single positive I can take from that friendly.

The amazing fans who at great expense travelled to watch it!

Just home, absolutely cracking trip :)

I hope you got in OK.

I met a guy who is perhaps semi-disabled (if that's not a contradiction in terms) following a hip operation and he said the stewards were anything but helpful.

I trust there was a way for you to avoid all those steps and that your chair did not take off on the ice rink outside.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

There's only one single positive I can take from that friendly.

The amazing fans who at great expense travelled to watch it!

I'll accept the compliment on behalf of all those who travelled, Bearman. :D

That said, I think there must have been fair few who didn't make it out of Berlin, as it didn't look to me that we had the much talked about 8,000 in the stadium out of the 18,000+ crowd. I know that a lot had bus arrangements but I don't think there were more than a couple of thousand on the march from the square to the stadium.

It wasn't an easy trip for those (me included) who left it too late to get cheap flights with one stop to Leipzig; and on the back I heard that some of the troops were stranded, in or en route from Dusseldorf I think, as their first flight was delayed and they missed their short connection.

I think the Leipzig breweries will have to work overtime to replenish their stocks :drink:

James Tavernier was a sensation last season when he got the ball, worth the entrance fee alone, his feat of surpassing greats Sandy Jardine's and John Greig's scoring record for a defender in a season was superb even although it was against Championship sides (I believe there's not much difference in class between the divisions, as those contesting the Scottish Cup Final ultimately proved) I honestly expected him to step up to the next (small) level with ease.

Very disappointed that he has appeared to 'down tools'.:(

James Tavernier was a sensation last season when he got the ball, worth the entrance fee alone, his feat of surpassing greats Sandy Jardine's and John Greig's scoring record for a defender in a season was superb even although it was against Championship sides (I believe there's not much difference in class between the divisions, as those contesting the Scottish Cup Final ultimately proved) I honestly expected him to step up to the next (small) level with ease.

Very disappointed that he has appeared to 'down tools'.:(

He was completely out his depth (as were Halliday and Holt) against Leipzig. There was one crazy spell in the first half where he twice passed the ball straight to RBL players and then the next time he had it one ran up and easily took it off him.

I just think that a lot of these guys especially Tavs and Holt looked great against very mediocre opposition but simply aren't good enough to step up to SPFL level never mind a top class German team like RBL.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I hope you got in OK.

I met a guy who is perhaps semi-disabled (if that's not a contradiction in terms) following a hip operation and he said the stewards were anything but helpful.

I trust there was away for you to avoid all those steps and that your chair did not take off on the ice rink outside.

Frankly it was an utter shambles, there was myself and another wheelchair user.

We had to pick our tickets up at the stadium which sounds easy but was a nightmare. We asked a steward where the ticket office was and he pointed in a direction, so off we went and had to be carried up the first tranche of steps and proceeded towards a portacabin with Tickets written on it but they didn't have our tickets, took them 15 minutes on the phone to find out where we had to go which was 3/4s the way round the stadium and when we got there had to be carried down a similar set of steps by some obliging locals. We then had to cross the road to buy our tickets then go back across the road to the stadium and try to find a way in but nobody seemed to know where the lift was it took 10 minutes to find someone who did. We then had to go up 7 stories in the lift go 100 yards along a concourse then cross a bridge and enter the stadium concourse. David Martin or who ever did the recognisance couldn't be arsed to find out about the disabled facilities sadly this has been the case since the much maligned Lawrence MacIntyre departed, had a couple of run ins with him but at least he remembered that disabled fans were part of his remit not an inconvenience that could be ignored when it suited which has sadly seems to be the attitude of his successors.

Was 10 minutes late in getting in but once inside the experience was completely different, the viewing are which runs virtually the whole length of the front of the upper tier of the main stand was on a par with the finest I've ever seen, a lady came out and gave us fleece blankets and asked if we wanted anything from the kiosk, the toilets were absolutely first class state of the art .