Kris Boyd: SFA sent Rangers down...

...and our Scotland teams are paying the price now.

I’M not saying it’s all down to the SFA.

You can hardly blame Stewart Regan for the fact that Grant Hanley can’t defend.

But when the people on Hampden’s sixth floor offices allowed Rangers to be kicked out of the Scottish Premier League there was always going to be consequences.

And this Scotland team right now, is just one of them.

I thought it privately at the time and I’ve seen nothing to make me change my mind in the years since.

My old club should never have been treated the way they were.

But for me, there is no getting away from the fact that the national team has suffered as a direct result.

Scotland needed to have players at Rangers playing at the highest level.

Instead, the club found itself in the third division with all their top players moving on.

Since 2012 we’ve had one of our biggest clubs — in fact, to my mind, THE biggest club in the country, wasting its time.

Previous Scotland managers had a number of Rangers players to choose from and they knew what they were getting.

They were players who had a winning mentality — something which just isn’t there in that team now.

I don’t mean this as any disrespect to anyone.

But players playing in the English Championship or wrong end of the English Premier League don’t play with the pressure of a Rangers or Celtic player.

At Ibrox and Parkhead second place is last place.

You have an expectancy you need to deal with and if you can’t handle it then you’re at the wrong club.

With Scotland now we have guys who don’t have that winning mentality because they don’t need it at their clubs.

They can play five matches, win two, draw one and lose two and their supporters will be happy with that.

Well, I’m sorry but that’s no use to anyone. Certainly not Gordon Strachan.

Like I say, it’s not the reason Scotland lost to England because that was down purely to the finishing and defending.

I actually thought the team played alright.

Managers, coaches and players will know where I’m coming from here when I say that had the game been from 18 yard box to 18 yard box and played possession — with a goal given for every ten completed passes — it would probably have finished ten each!

But we were dire at the back with big Hanley’s performance everything I feared it would be.

I said it last week in this column, I wrote about how I was sick to the back teeth of seeing him making the same mistakes.

Well at Wembley nothing changed.

I genuinely hate to slate the big man because he’s doing his best. But frankly, his best isn’t good enough.

Is this down to the fact he’s had more minutes with Scotland recently than he has done with Newcastle?

You could point the finger at him for all three goals, he was that bad.

I predicted we’d be weak at right back if we played Callum Paterson and said Ikechi Anya should be given that role, also writing that Craig Gordon should be given the nod ahead of David Marshall.

Wallace was the man I wanted at left-back and I thought he had a good game, in fact he was my Scotland man of the match.

But it was that central position at the back which terrified me and, it gives me no satisfaction to say that’s the way it turned out.

It wasn’t much better up front.

I thought Leigh Griffiths made decisions of a player who was trying too hard to impress his manager, rather than keeping it simple.

He had that great chance to slip Robert Snodgrass in but tried a shot — all because he was desperate to make an impact himself.

Listen, who am I to criticise anyone having a pop at goal but when you make that decision you simply MUST score

That’s the harsh reality of where we are right now. We’re not good enough.

But you can’t tell me that’s down to the manager which is why I hope he decides to stay in the job.

I know some people want him out, pointing to the lack of progress.

But if the wee man walks then what changes? We still have the same players for the next guy to pick from.

We still have a lack of talent and ability coming through the ranks.

It’s worrying times for Scotland supporters but for me the country’s expectations don’t match what’s available.

If Strachan does go I don’t see it getting any better any time soon.

Who would I have IF he quits?

That’s a difficult one but put it this way, I don’t think it would be the worst thing in the world if the SFA looked abroad.

It didn’t work when Berti Vogts was appointed but I think we’re more likely to accept new ideas now.

I was at Rangers when Paul le Guen was manager and in all honesty, as players, we weren’t open enough to the things he wanted to do.

He had bold ideas and it seemed so far removed from the norm that it was frowned upon.

Now a few years down the line, I think players are more receptive to different ideas.

Even at my club Kilmarnock we have a manager who has completely altered when we train but everybody has bought into it.

So maybe this is the time to go back down the road of appointing a foreigner.

But that’s only if Strachan raps it and I really hope that doesn’t happen.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7260814/Kris-Boyd-SFA-sent-Rangers-down-and-our-Scotland-teams-are-paying-the-price-now.html

Is this the first time a Rangers player has admitted publicly that they were against Le Guen?

"I was at Rangers when Paul le Guen was manager and in all honesty, as players, we weren’t open enough to the things he wanted to do.

He had bold ideas and it seemed so far removed from the norm that it was frowned upon.

Now a few years down the line, I think players are more receptive to different ideas."

Is this the first time a Rangers player has admitted publicly that they were against Le Guen?

"I was at Rangers when Paul le Guen was manager and in all honesty, as players, we weren’t open enough to the things he wanted to do.

Now a few years down the line, I think players are more receptive to different ideas."

Le Guen's signings cost him job more than anything

It should be remembered too that it was the SFL clubs who put Rangers in the bottom division.

I've never understood why the SFA let them do it

The SFL clubs followed their rules and guidelines. No fault on their side whatsoever The SPL was at fault, and consequent actions by them only underlined this.

I was going to post the same so for all the Le Guen haters you can now read it for yourself.

Ferguson and Boyd were like a knife in the back and that is part of the reason I can't stand any of the 2 of them.

I was going to post the same so for all the Le Guen haters you can now read it for yourself.

Ferguson and Boyd were like a knife in the back and that is part of the reason I can't stand any of the 2 of them.

I think it's a well known fact that players were partly responsible for the PLG debacle,however are the same players responsible for his continued failure since?,let's not forget the fact PLG was/is a dud!

Edited by ian1964