Rangers v Dundee match preview

On the first of May 2008, Nacho Novo scored one of the most memorable goals I have ever seen. It was a moment in my life I will never forget. I had watched wee Nacho score many a goal however, this was special, I watched it with my late partner, Jean, and it was the kick that took us to the UEFA cup final in Manchester. I remember being on my knees and then royally screaming in delight as the wee man scored that penalty that took us to the final.

Nacho was brought to Ibrox from Dundee on 06th July 2004, for a cost of around £450k, in my opinion and that of many others, it was an absolute steel, as he would go on to score many a goal for Rangers, and arguably none more so than that night in Italy. There have been many players who have donned both dark and light blue, Bomber Brown, Claudio Canniggia, Gavin Rae and Zurab Khizanishvila spring to mind, however I am sure there are many more that will come to mind, and have had the privilege of wearing the light blue after a spell at Dens Park.

On our first meeting with the dark blues this season, a superb first half display and goals from Harry Forrester and Kenny Miller were enough to see off a spirited second half performance from the home side. It must be said however that although our performance in the first half that day was exceptional our second half performance was like many this season, well below par. At the end of the match we walked away with three points and a satisfactory 2-1 victory at a venue most had expected a very tough match. We welcome Dundee to Ibrox this Saturday, a welcome return to premiership football after the mediocrity, at best, of the international break. A very brief point from that break is that I felt big Waldo had an excellent game at left back, personally I hope he saves himself for first team football with Rangers. Our last match at Ibrox saw us leave with a comfortable 3-0 win and our display was by far the most composed, professional and pleasing to watch of the season. We took the foot of the gas after around 60 minutes, which left the final 30 minutes of the match very pedestrian, Kilmarnock sitting in and we were not looking to add a gloss finish to what was already a job well done. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day, the respect that was shown from the fans during our remembrance, was, as usual a credit to themselves and the club. It was a fitting way to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice and those who are left with life changing injuries due to the selfless courage in defending our country and our freedom. It was also my privilege to be there with my niece who at 8 years old shows great understanding and respect for those who defend our nation.

The only down side to the performance mentioned above was the following performance away to Ross County, which was dreadful. However, best not to dwell on negatives and look at the positives of our last home match and look to replicate that fine performance again with a good performance and victory against what will surely be a well organised and motivated Dundee side under manager Paul Hartley. I still hope that MW will stick to the team that played so well against Kilmarnock, starting with MOH and Garner up front. I genuinely feel at the moment that side is the strongest we have and we should perceiver with it until we may think about strengthening during the transfer window. Playing a 4-3-3 of Foderingham in goal with a back four of Tavernier, Kiernan, Hill and Wallace. Our midfield again comprising of Halliday, Holt and Windass with MOH, Garner and Miller up front. I know there are many who are of the opinion that miller should be rested from time to time, I felt he was our best performer in Dingwall and he always look available. I notice Garner is showing good signs and although he didn’t look great in the highlands, none of them looked anything to should about and I felt he was and is coming on to a game. I suspect it may be Millers work ethic that is rubbing off on him. Let’s hope they all pick it back up this Saturday. I will predict a 3-1 home victory, I have not had a coupon up this season, Saturday would be a good time to start. It would certainly be nice if we had the luxury of being able to call on someone of wee Nacho’s ability and terrier like personality at the moment in front of goal.

That night in Italy is a fond memory of which I have many spending watching Rangers with my late partner Jean. It will be a year on 22nd of November since she passed, fighting a battle she couldn’t win, one many of us know all too well, against a cruel and unforgiving cancer. Jean was a Rangers supporter since birth and like us all, Rangers was a way of life. It’s been a long and hard year for me which has been made just a little more tolerable from time to time, coming on here and posting or like this, writing a preview for a match. It’s a genuine big thanks to everyone on here for their rantings of the day which have frequently cheered me up. It goes without saying that this Saturday I will lay some flowers for Jean and will be thinking of her when we take to the field. A good performance and three more points will be the order of the day.

C’mon Eh Bears!