The Fifth (formerly Semi-Annual) Official Gersnet Dinner

C9w2ZetWsAAT_CN.jpg

Once again apologies for not organising something at the end of last season or the beginning of this season.

To be honest I was sorely tempted to "go out at the top" given that the last Dinner was easily the best and I had made a conscious decision to step back from some of the more contentious debates on here. At the same time I have spent a fair bit of time out of the country this year.

However, back by popular demand it would seem http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?81740-Is-there-any-word-on-a-Christmas-do-yet (and thanks for that).......I present some thoughts on the

The Fifth (formerly Semi-Annual) Official Gersnet Dinner

First the date.

Looking at forthcoming home fixtures, we have:

Saturday 3 Dec v Aberdeen (too soon)

Saturday 10 Dec v Hearts (possibly do-able but probably too soon and based on past comments most folk didn't really want a Gersnet Christmas Dinner)

Saturday 31 Dec v Celtic (not suitable)

Saturday 4 Feb v Ross County (good option but someone else would need to organise as I'll be in Spain that week and at Malaga v Espanyol that weekend)

Saturday 18 March v Hamilton (possible, although personally I wouldn't be able to commit to that date until the New Year)

Saturday 1 April v Motherwell (possible, although personally I cannot commit to that date as I expect to be in the US for an old friend's 90th birthday)

Saturday 15 April v Partick (not suitable for me as it's my birthday)

then we're into the post-spilt games.

Post-split fixture dates:

Round 34 - Saturday 29 April, 2017

Round 35 - Saturday 6 May, 2017

Round 36 - Saturday 13 May, 2017

Round 37 - Tuesday 16 May & Wednesday 17 May, 2017

Round 38 - Saturday 20 May & Sunday 21 May, 2017

There are also possible home cup ties but again these are at relatively short notice.

Therefore the best option might be for someone else to organise for 4 Feb.

If you want me to do it then I could try for 10 December, although at short notice it will be difficult to get a restaurant and guest speaker; or else wait to the end of the season post -split games when we would have 3/4 weeks notice of the last home game (assuming we would be at home on the 13th or 20th of May).

In terms of venue, we have had two at Malaga Tapas and two at Indian Brasserie. Leaving out questions of food preference (both can provide a steak or something like that if necessary), then -

In my opinion Malaga Tapas provided the best service, with tapas and paella lending themselves to serving a large group at one time. In addition when they had the café next door (for the 2nd dinner with Dave Smith) it was ideal for a speaker. However, the drawback is that they are 2 miles from Ibrox and it can take a while to get there by car or taxi in the post match traffic. In addition they don't have the café any more so we would only be able to get the restaurant to ourselves (or more or less to ourselves) if it was a Saturday or Sunday lunch time KO so we were there mid afternoon.

The big advantage of Indian Brasserie is that they are only 5 minutes walking from Ibrox and if we can guarantee mid twenties in numbers they will give us the restaurant to ourselves at least for 2/3 hours; but again IMO they struggled to serve more than a couple of tables at one time and some people had to wait a while for their food despite pre-ordering.

So I took a look at La Fiorentina (see I have been thinking about this) http://www.la-fiorentina.com/ which is at the junction of Govan Rd and PRW about 1.25M from Ibrox; so about 20-25 mins depending how fast you walk or 5 mins by car or taxi; so a good compromise in terms of distance. The big attraction here (apart from the name) is that they have a back seating area that they would give us to ourselves, if we can guarantee 25 covers which would be more than the first three dinners but less than last time (when we did have exceptional guests). A slight drawback is that they serve the drink from the main bar, but I don't think that's a major issue and there may be ways round that like buckets of beer. It would also be a change in terms of food.

So there you have my thoughts. Personally I would rather wait now till the end of the season but by all means go ahead if someone else wants to organise 4 Feb or I can possibly do 18 March.

Post comments here and I'll put up a poll if necessary for date and/or venue.

Edited by Frankie
Added link to other thread

Very impressed with your research BH, you should plan weddings! Seriously, good effort. I quite like the end of season idea, and I will pretty much eat anywhere. I walk past La Fiorentina on way back from Ibrox into town, never been in it but looks good. That's the only one I can comment on?.

Very impressed with your research BH, you should plan weddings! Seriously, good effort. I quite like the end of season idea, and I will pretty much eat anywhere. I walk past La Fiorentina on way back from Ibrox into town, never been in it but looks good. That's the only one I can comment on?.

Kind of you to say, maybe I missed my vocation.

La Fiorentina has a pretty good reputation, you should take a look.

It will be good to see you and other new faces.