Rangers 2 ( Kiernan, McKay) v Hearts 0 post-match discussion

Surely not. He's running forward, over the line and comes straight back on. As it happens umpteen times per game. Nothing deliberate whatsoever.

I think the thing is that there is no provision within the law as stated for such incidents as running off due to momentum and if you tried to insert such provision it could then be open to abuse making it hard to referee. It's simpler just to call it as the law states it. If you go off the pitch momentum or otherwise you're on the goal line if you come back on till there is a break in play.

He could easily have stopped. Imho

I thought that too. He's a footballer for crying out loud and he isn't flying. The Rangers player next to him is moving just as fast as he is and he easily stops and moves off to his right when Wes makes the save and the ball goes over there. They're supposed to be able to stop and turn on a tanner moving much faster than that. Cowie made a decision to trot off for whatever reason and that's an example of why it would be problematic to start entering provisions into the law.

Edited by JFK-1

I think it looks to me that as he was off the pitch, our defence no longer treated him as a threat, and so he wasn't marked when he came back on. I think this is the reason for the rule. There was no real need for either player to step off the pitch and dally there, and while it's understandable in a kick-about, there's plenty of more pedantic rules we ignore which are used in a top class match. The reason for this rule to me is obvious, and professional players on high salaries should know them and play by them.

For me, the letter of the rule was used here, and in this case it was necessary to apply the spirit of the rule. The "goal" was unjust.

But looking at the footage, I'm also leaning towards the opinion that there is a 50/50 chance he could have conventionally been offside.

It is hard to tell exactly when the pass was played, as even in slow motion he is onside just before and offside just after as Wallace moved his leg rapidly forward.

attachment.php?attachmentid=651&d=1481642273

When you look a the still, it's very difficult to see if the Hearts player is offside. A view along the line would be better, and so the linesman had a better view. At best, you'd give him the benefit of the doubt as being level.

Now seeing it's so difficult to call with a still, then live, it's impossible to get it exactly right, and I'd put something like that down to a toss of a coin type of bad luck.

However, the off the pitch rule overrides that anyway, and so it's pretty moot.

I think it looks to me that as he was off the pitch, our defence no longer treated him as a threat, and so he wasn't marked when he came back on. I think this is the reason for the rule. There was no real need for either player to step off the pitch and dally there, and while it's understandable in a kick-about, there's plenty of more pedantic rules we ignore which are used in a top class match. The reason for this rule to me is obvious, and professional players on high salaries should know them and play by them.

For me, the letter of the rule was used here, and in this case it was necessary to apply the spirit of the rule. The "goal" was unjust.

But looking at the footage, I'm also leaning towards the opinion that there is a 50/50 chance he could have conventionally been offside.

It is hard to tell exactly when the pass was played, as even in slow motion he is onside just before and offside just after as Wallace moved his leg rapidly forward.

attachment.php?attachmentid=651&d=1481642273

When you look a the still, it's very difficult to see if the Hearts player is offside. A view along the line would be better, and so the linesman had a better view. At best, you'd give him the benefit of the doubt as being level.

Now seeing it's so difficult to call with a still, then live, it's impossible to get it exactly right, and I'd put something like that down to a toss of a coin type of bad luck.

However, the off the pitch rule overrides that anyway, and so it's pretty moot.

From that image....look at the Hearts player @ the right.....he still has a foot on the line - ie. on the field of play??? While he is not directly involved in the play, it could be argued that in such a close space, his involvement could be critical following a ricochet.

If he is deemed to be on the field of play, he is therefore offside, regardless of Cowie's positioning.

I predict we're going to see a lot of this type of thing. No matter how well we play or how convincingly we win excuses will be dug up about how some trivial little incident would have 'changed everything' plus referees and the SFA too apparently according to the latest Hearts conspiracy are conspiring to help Rangers.

Personally i'm confident even if that goal had stood that we would still have beaten them. That incident marked the only really good chance they created the entire match. It was their 1 shot on target in the entire match.

Jamie Walker has had his yellow card, issued against Rangers on Saturday, rescinded.

The winger was booked for simulation by referee John Beaton during a first-half incident at Ibrox.

Hearts appealed the decision at Hampden today and the claim was upheld, meaning the caution has been removed from Jamie’s record.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/5603

So you can appeal certain yellow cards. Wonder when this was introduced ... and whether it will work i we try that. Just remind yourself of Halliday's ridiculous sending off last season, where he received a yellow + red for "gesturing".

Edited by der Berliner

So you can appeal certain yellow cards. Wonder when this was introduced ... and whether it will work i we try that. Just remind yourself of Halliday's ridiculous sending off last season, where he received a yellow + red for "gesturing".

Think Tavernier should have his yellow card at pittodrie wiped from the record if this is the path we're going down. There is indisputable TV evidence proving he made not just a legitimate tackle but a superb tackle for which he was yellow carded and we were robbed of a throughly deserved point.

I think you can only appeal a yellow card if it is for simulation/diving!