I hope you die': Old Firm shame as minute's silence broken at Ibrox

'I hope you die': Old Firm shame as minute's silence broken at Ibrox

A minute's silence was observed at Ibrox for the 1971 disaster - but fans interrupted the tribute with insults.

News

Play

Disruptive fans at Ibrox broke a minute's silence before the Old Firm game this afternoon.

The silence was being held for the 66 Rangers fans who lost their lives in the Ibrox disaster of 1971.

A shout of "I hope you die" was heard ringing round the stadium just seconds before the minute silence was up. It is not known which side the shout came from.

The silence was well-observed by the Rangers team

Players from both sides were seen shaking their head in disappointment when the observation was disrupted.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers insists Glasgow derby is the best in the world and Scottish football should be proud of it

The majority of fans held the silence, which came after Lisbon Lions legend Bertie Auld pleaded with Celtic supporters to observe the silence, saying: "Remember those who died and pay the people involved the respect they deserve.

“Something like the Ibrox disaster brings you down to earth and I am sure the fans will remember that.”

Players from both sides were seen shaking their heads after the silence was disrupted

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers seconded this plea, saying: "The tragedy at Ibrox was one which affected Rangers FC and so many other people across Scotland.

“It transcended football and also involved Celtic so closely.

“As we have done many times, we’ll pay respects and remember sincerely those who lost their lives in tragic circumstances.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/i-hope-you-die-old-9540156

I thought that is a pleasant surprise that the Record have this as a headline. Then I read the bit I have marked in red. I think they know fine well where it came from.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/i-hope-you-die-old-9540156

I thought that is a pleasant surprise that the Record have this as a headline. Then I read the bit I have marked in red. I think they know fine well where it came from.

Maybe but maybe not. It didn't come from the same place that the shouts started from as it was much clearer. Someone (or a few) of them started shouting which caused others to shout at them (and perhaps them to respond) and then this one line came out much louder and clearer. It often happens when one idiot breaks a silence that others shouting them down make a louder interruption.

I'm not sure in this case if it was not someone shouting "I hope you die" to those who had already interrupted the silence. I'm not saying it was, I'm just saying that it is far from obvious.

Edited by SteveC

I know this might not be popular but I think it's time to keep this within Rangers itself and not involve any other club.

I've been thinking that, too. In a way it seems like giving into morons but the thing is that out of thousands of people, most of whom will have been on the bevvy, it only takes one to make a noise that then kicks off a backlash noise. It's always likely to happen, I'm afraid.

I think you will always get morons at these minute silences. It may be time to stop them altogether; we seem to get them now for events nothing to do with football. It's too embarrassing to have them constantly interrupted and modern people have no respect. I remember the days when everyone stopped for a funeral procession; now they're all in too much of a hurry to get to their work or whatever.

The first shout definitely come from the away support but was answered by a moron from our support,I am in Sandy Jardine stand and heard it quite clearly.

What was more moronic to me was the light display in 66/67 minutes,obviously aimed at the disaster.

The first shout definitely come from the away support but was answered by a moron from our support,I am in Sandy Jardine stand and heard it quite clearly.

What was more moronic to me was the light display in 66/67 minutes,obviously aimed at the disaster.

The light display was for the Lisbon Lions, stupid maybe but that was what is was for.