Is There Any Point In New Signings Under MW

Dodoo is one player that kinda vexes me....

We he not touted as being an £8-9m player down south - we got him cheap due to the cross-border development fee. Straight away the plan should have been, get him in the team and keep the interest from down south, then punt him on for a healthy profit. We can't do that is the lad isn't playing.

I agree that the Dodoo scenario seems odd. The signing that vexes me, most, is that of Garner, following which, that of MO'H.

These are his two most expensive players, and one rarely starts, while the other is an automatic choice, despite seeming to be a striker who doesn't, well, strike.

I am sure that Garner is a good runner, and that his metres covered stat will be impressive, but really, is this what the team needs?

Dodoo is one player that kinda vexes me....

We he not touted as being an £8-9m player down south - we got him cheap due to the cross-border development fee. Straight away the plan should have been, get him in the team and keep the interest from down south, then punt him on for a healthy profit. We can't do that is the lad isn't playing.

Bang on the money!(excuse the pun)

I agree that the Dodoo scenario seems odd. The signing that vexes me, most, is that of Garner, following which, that of MO'H.

These are his two most expensive players, and one rarely starts, while the other is an automatic choice, despite seeming to be a striker who doesn't, well, strike.

I am sure that Garner is a good runner, and that his metres covered stat will be impressive, but really, is this what the team needs?

A 4-4-2 with a penalty box striker and Garner would suit best.

i agree with the 4-4-2

i'd go 4-4-2 diamond or 4-3-1-2

ANYTHING to get 2 up front and the one would be BM to get him on the ball as much as possible

that would still leave license for the full backs to offer width

If I was an investor putting money in I'd be very nervous allowing MW significant cash to spend. We haven't really improved the squad significantly since summer 2015. In following windows we have wasted in excess of £2.3m on MOH and Garner, as well as others.

To sign 5 central midfielders in the summer and then find ourselves scrambling for 2 more on loan in January pretty much sums up the state of our recruitment at the start of the season. An element of bad luck, yes, but how many of 11 signings actually improved us? One? Two? Awful record.

There seems to be a general consensus between everyone apart from MW that playing 2 up top could be the answer. With the defence and midfield a bit more fluid. I agree with McKay in the middle. Get him on the ball as much as possible. I think MW gets the rest of the season but he has to Adapt. This is by far his biggest test as a manager, it's whether or not he can change his style. It shouldn't be a hard decision for him to make

I've seen a lot of people, including me, question last summers signings and lack of signings in January. Did Dave King not give MW a transfer budget etc... However when you look at the team since Jan last year. I.e. MOH, is there any point in MW making signings? He does not play them in favour of his favourites. Has DK said why give you funds for players when they sit on the bench! I was reading David Bates interview, seems a good promising young defender. Unlikely to be any worse than what we've seen, I just worry he will never feature and end up away!

You mean like Hill, Barton, Kranjcar, Windass ? All of them were playing regularly and were his signings from last season.

As for Bates, how often have you seen him play ? Elfideldo attends the vast majority of U20 games and says that a) he was surprised we even took Bates on in the first place and b) that his performances aren't even close to warranting a start with the 1st team.

Sometimes we just "wish" someone a game because it suits our agenda.

Edited by craig

We've been very unlucky with Kranjcar and Rossiter. Had Kranjcar still been in the side he would probably be running every game. If they had stayed fit then Hyndman and Toral wouldnt have come and with Hyndman it might be we get him again in the summer which would be a boost.

Crooks has been a concerning one, there must have been something not picked up in his medical. We knew Windass came with an injury and he has been in and out. Id say one policy we must put in place now is not to sign anyone carrying so called short term injuries.

If we go on a winning streak again of about 5 games and play some good stuff then the opinions about MW will probably change. I just dont see who could possibly replace him at the moment.

AFAIK Crooks wasn't injured when we signed him on pre-contract - he got injured after signing last January I THINK.

You mean like Hill, Barton, Kranjcar, Windass ? All of them were playing regularly and were his signings from last season.

As for Bates, how often have you seen him play ? Elfideldo attends the vast majority of U20 games and says that a) he was surprised we even took Bates on in the first place and b) that his performances aren't even close to warranting a start with the 1st team.

Sometimes we just "wish" someone a game because it suits our agenda.

Kranjcar (before the injury) and Windass have not been playing regularly. Hill has played the most and would go as far to say he is a regular along with garner. Was it 11 players signed in the summer and 2 play regularly?

Take your point on Bates, I don't know much about the lad, however our defence is threadbare and has been the main area crying out to be strengthened since las season. Hill has been good, but he 38! Senderos went out of favour for getting sent off, not sure what's happened to Wilson, so we are left with Bates. If his signing is being questioned then should MW not be question for singing him? It takes me back to an original point that I cannot see what MW it trying to do and I question if he knows himself.