Sad news: Roger Hynd has passed away

IIRR DJ was moved to CH in the 3-1 defeat against the mighty Ajax of that time. Johnn Rep Criuff and Arie Haan scored for Ajax with Doddie scoring for Rangers. Unfortunately we lost Johan Cruiff last year and Pete Keizer last week from that fantastic team.

Reference big Rog' the Dodge, here's the story.

Rangers third team played in the Combination League, included works teams like the Corporation transport. After the Berwick debacle, Rangers chased Jim Forrest, George McLean, and Alex Willougby. Despite such foolhardiness, we reached the 1967 ECWC final in Nuremberg against Bayern. The manager saw Roger Hynd play centre forward for the third team against Glasgow Corporation Transport at Helenvale Park. We won 8-3, Roger scored five. Thus, securing his place in the starting line up against Munich.

Roger was part of the Shankly dynasty from the Ayrshire mining hamlet of Glenbuck. Brothers Bill and Bob managed the likes of Liverpool, Carlisle, and Stirling Albion. Roger was Boss at Motherwell in the seventies. I wonder how many of those that turned out for the almost mythical amatuer side, 'the Glenbuck Cherrypickers' survive? The very name evokes tremendous optimism amid a hard life, Roger was the very epitome of that experience.

He played 48 games for Rangers, scoring 5 goals. The club received a £25,000 fee from Crystal Palace in 1968, Roger moved on to Birmingham City in 1971.

This was in the wake of Berwick of course, following which CF Jim Forrest (who had almost a goal game record), never played for Rangers again.

And somewhere I still have the Daily Express of the next day with the headline "Rangers Wives Weep".

RIP BIg Roger

My dad moved heaven and earth to ensure that him, me, my granda, my grandas pal and that guys son could all go to the final. I was only 11 at the time. We'd been to the Berwick game too.

In my mind there is no doubt that Rangers would have won the ECWC that year had Berwick not happened.

Jim Forrest was the most clinical finisher I ever saw and given how the ECWC match went Jim would have got at least two.

Boabie thanks for your reply ,if D.J. is Derek Johnstone it was not that as my memory ties in with other replies.

Mac, I saw big Derek pull off exactly the move you described at Ibrox against Ajax . Was it called the super-cup or similar ?

I very much doubt that Roger, steady centre half that he was would have chased one of his own punts. He was far too disciplined to do that.

IIRR DJ was moved to CH in the 3-1 defeat against the mighty Ajax of that time. Johnn Rep Criuff and Arie Haan scored for Ajax with Doddie scoring for Rangers. Unfortunately we lost Johan Cruiff last year and Pete Keizer last week from that fantastic team.

DJ was moved to that position at his own request. His main failing was that evenings spent in the bar at the Normandy Hotel in Renfrew were catching up with him.

He was a great centre half. But imo, rid of the Kris Boyd malaise could have turned out to be one of the greatest centre forwards we ever had.

Reference big Rog' the Dodge, here's the story.

Rangers third team played in the Combination League, included works teams like the Corporation transport. After the Berwick debacle, Rangers chased Jim Forrest, George McLean, and Alex Willougby. Despite such foolhardiness, we reached the 1967 ECWC final in Nuremberg against Bayern. The manager saw Roger Hynd play centre forward for the third team against Glasgow Corporation Transport at Helenvale Park. We won 8-3, Roger scored five. Thus, securing his place in the starting line up against Munich.

Roger was part of the Shankly dynasty from the Ayrshire mining hamlet of Glenbuck. Brothers Bill and Bob managed the likes of Liverpool, Carlisle, and Stirling Albion. Roger was Boss at Motherwell in the seventies. I wonder how many of those that turned out for the almost mythical amatuer side, 'the Glenbuck Cherrypickers' survive? The very name evokes tremendous optimism amid a hard life, Roger was the very epitome of that experience.

He played 48 games for Rangers, scoring 5 goals. The club received a £25,000 fee from Crystal Palace in 1968, Roger moved on to Birmingham City in 1971.

Roger was at Birmingham when a guy we don't hear much of these days and a great bear, Jimmy Calderwood was progressing from youth to first team football.

DJ was moved to that position at his own request. His main failing was that evenings spent in the bar at the Normandy Hotel in Renfrew were catching up with him.

He was a great centre half. But imo, rid of the Kris Boyd malaise could have turned out to be one of the greatest centre forwards we ever had.

I served him at the Normandy as I was a barman in the discotheque there at that time. I actually think his most drinking was done at the Ferry Inn in Renfrew.

Roger Hynd who was a bit player for us who famously played up front in a European Cup Final and ended up getting himself noted for missing a glaring chance of glory.

In those days Rangers fans were top of the world and as usual expected success...we were very used to it regardless of what was going on over the other side of the river.

Roger was thrown into that Cup Final to make a miracle...unfortunately it didn't work out for us.

A true blue in every sense...RIP Roger.