Rangers tax case to be heard by UK Supreme Court next month

What??? What sort of statement is that? "We all know we are guilty". Why bother with a justice system then. Those pesky romans and their legal system! What you or I think is right or wrong morally is not an issue. Morals are for those who believe in fairy tales. Fairy tales were constructed for children.

The legal system is there to separate what is "legal" and what "is not legal. In this case "taxable" or "non taxable"(as Ian points out).

In our case, the judges who are sitting are without question there as they are the most experienced and educated for that position. Should it be the case that they stick to legalities and facts they should rule in out favour. If however they decide "common sense" is now the rule of law, then clearly those pesky romans didn't know what they were doing....

Sanitation...Roads......Look on the bright side shall we???? Do do do do dooooo...

Sarcasm :D

in theory they were loans which didn't need to be repaid for 100 years or whatever but obviously the 'trustee' would be dead by then & loan never repaid

Unless it's seen as a debt in which case it would be paid back from their estate, no?

It could be something like whether it was a loan or not. Common sense says that a payment that will never be repaid is not a loan.

I don't think that the "common sense" argument was primarily to do with the fact that the Trusts established loan facilities. It was, I think, concerned with the fact that qualification for a Benefit Trust depended directly upon the beneficiary being employed by the Company, and hence disbursements to the employee's Trust would be seen, by that bastion of "common sense", the man on the Cessnock subway, to be part of a remuneration package, and hence taxable.

I have no idea whether this argument will prevail at Supreme Court. It did occur to me at the time that the CoS's verdict was somewhat odd, and at odds with received wisdom. Drummond Young, as I have said before, showed his hand when, in the verdict, he declared that, without EBTs, the Club would not have been able to afford the calibre of player it employed, a clear irrelevance to the legalities, and pure speculation, even to the layperson.

That opinion, rather than any declaration of fact, gave me cause to think that he, at least, wanted to sink the Murray/Rangers case, for reasons other than those which were strictly matters of law.

What his Lordship said was straight out of the book of tim hopespeak. But there is nothing about his background to suggest that he would have the remotest interest in football let alone Rangers and the other lot.