To be fair,Eck is in a bit of a predicament,nobody expects us to win, we don't need to win, but IMO we should have a go at them as we'll never have a better opportunity to do so, if we sit back then that will suit Italy as they can be very patient, we aren't good enough to sit and hold on to anything, our style is up and at them, if Eck decides to sit in then for me there is no place for Boyd, if he decides to go for it then Boyd should play as he is our main goal threat, IMO we should go for it and see what they are made of, imagine if we scored first, how would they react, personally i think they would shit it, GO FOR IT ECK.....!!!!!!!

I agree to a point Ian but not the old hit our heads against a wall game as we tried in Holland a few years ago and lost 5 i think it was. We have to play smart and hold it tight We have to hit them at the halfway line and play from there. If we challenge too early we will make the park too big and their skill will rip us apart. We do have to stay being dangerous though to hold their defenders from being extra midfielder's.

I dont agree with going 4-4-2 and just having a go. If it was a one off game then yes.

We need to look at the bigger picture in the group as its a marathon and not a sprint. A point in Italy gives us a cusion over them and we just got to worry about Ukraine and France after that.

I would go 4-5-1 but be attack minded. Id get 3 in the centre midfield running and going for every ball and hope to nick something on the break. This is why id maybe opt for Burke on the wing to try and break away.

I dont agree with going 4-4-2 and just having a go. If it was a one off game then yes.

We need to look at the bigger picture in the group as its a marathon and not a sprint. A point in Italy gives us a cusion over them and we just got to worry about Ukraine and France after that.

I would go 4-5-1 but be attack minded. Id get 3 in the centre midfield running and going for every ball and hope to nick something on the break. This is why id maybe opt for Burke on the wing to try and break away.

I can understand those who argue 4-5-1. However I don't see us scoring if we play a negative formation with negative tactics and think it's inevitable the Italians will, so it would just be a case of when they score and how much we get beat by.

As I say, one defeat away to the World champs would not decide our fate. So rather than settling for defeat, why not aim higher?

Plus if we go 4-4-2, with a genuine goal threat it gives them something to think about as they know they cant just bomb forward like they could if we were 4-5-1 (as pete has pointed out). Playing the extra man may force them to be a bit more conservative as conceding could be terrible for them and hecne take pressure off our back 4.

A team should always play to thier strengths,our strength is high tempo and taking the game to our opponents,the last time we played there we played really well in the second half,could/should've scored, just play the way we play, the only way we can play

4-1-4-1 it is then with Dailly coming in. Not too sure about Dailly as he hasnt really played well or much for West Ham this season. But Im happy with the rest of team.

West Ham United's Christian Dailly is poised for a recall to the Scotland starting line-up for Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier, BBC Sport believes.

Manager Alex McLeish is expected to adopt a more conservative 4-1-4-1 formation against Italy in Bari.

Dailly will be given the holding role in front of the defence.

Steven Pressley will return to the back four, Scott Brown comes into midfield, with Stephen McManus, Gary Teale and Kris Boyd dropping on to the bench.

It means a lone role up front for Kenny Miller, despite the striker's recent lack of goals for Celtic.

But the Scotland boss has told the Tartan Army to expect a positive approach, pointing out that France played a similar system in beating Italy earlier in the campaign.

"I hear about this one up," said McLeish. "We've got to defend well.

We want to get three or four people forward and into the box

Scotland manager Alex McLeish

"We're not going to play any different to the way France played at home, for instance, when they won 3-1.

"It's going to be similar tactics. But it doesn't mean that, when we get the ball, I don't want the players to go forward.

"We want to get three or four people forward and into the box so it can quickly become 4-2-4, because we've got players with energy and capabilities to do that when you consider the Lee McCullochs of this world, players who can get up and down the pitch all day."

But the shift in tactics following Saturday's 2-1 win over Georgia at Hampden means no place for Rangers striker Boyd, who opened the scoring, Wigan winger Teale, who supplied the cross, and Celtic forward Craig Beattie, who came off the bench to grab the winner.

Hibernian's Brown wins his place after impressing as a substitute against Georgia, while Pressley's experience wins the vote over Celtic team-mate Stephen McManus.

Pressley missed Saturday's match through suspension after being sent off against Ukraine in October.

Scotland will enter Bari's San Nicola Stadium five points ahead of the Italians at the top of Group B, although Roberto Donadoni's side have a game in hand.

Injury has deprived the hosts of defenders Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Grosso, while playmaker Francesco Totti has ruled himself out of international action until September.

Goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon was unable to train on Monday after struggling with a stomach bug but is likely to be fit.

Roma midfielder Simone Perrotta has recovered from a muscular injury and should play alongside Mauro Camoranesi and Antonio Di Natale in support of lone striker Luca Toni.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scotland team (likely): Gordon, Alexander, Pressley, Weir, Naysmith, Dailly, Brown, Ferguson, Hartley, McCulloch, Miller.

I change from the weekend win over Georgia - Brown in for Boyd. McManus keeps his place ahead of Pressley.

Gordon

Alexander

Naysmith

Weir

McManus

Teale

Brown

Ferguson

Hartley

McCulloch

Miller

I'm glad Boyd isn't playing up front himself cause he can't play the position and I'm I'm glad Dailly isn't starting either cause he's too old.

Poor defending at the goal, someone totally lost their man.

As we're creating chances I'd be tempted to put Boyd on as Miller doesn't look like being able to hit a coo's arse with a banjo tonight. Play him off Miller.

Teale looks a bit out of his depth again, not sure why he continues to get a place tbh, I've just not seen him do anything decent in a blue shirt.