Rangers to appeal Rob Kiernan's red card ahead of Celtic clash

To me he's slid in 2-footed and his right foot clearly takes the St Johnstone player on the back of the ankle.

SzClcnP.png

A straight red no argument. Whatever fouls were perpetrated on McKay are totally irrelevant.

Personally I'd be thankful it rules him out of the Celtic game, he'll cost us there again for sure, he's no match for Dembele.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4275306/Rangers-set-appeal-Rob-Kiernan-s-red-card.html

PS: Sorry about the added thumbnail, no idea how that got there.

3DDAB2AE00000578-4275306-image-a-61_1488466084784.jpg

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Sorry about the added thumbnail

The appeal will be thrown out, no problem. From behind, outstretched legs and studs showing.

And there should be no argument either ... IF such tackles were all handled the same. But they aren't. We've seen similar stuff before, where the offender gets away with a yellow and a stern talking to.

Gordon kung-fu'ed two players outside the area and got two yellows. Brown does that every other match and gets his standard 75th minute yellow, on a bad day. The standard is not just mediocre, but the use of the cards is erratic as well.

Edited by der Berliner

Every other club tries it so why not us.

The thought of Senderos or Wilson playing scares me even more,

In the recent games that Senderos has played, I've thought he's been considerably better than Kiernan. Yeah, he's made a few mistakes, not nothing as bombscare-esq as Kiernan makes on a regular basis.

The Appeal is not only doomed to failure bad very bad from a timing perspective.

If the 2 game ban had been accepted then whoever has to step into the breach would play v Hamilton and then Celtic; however with an appeal next Thursday, one assumes Kiernan will play against Hamilton and then there will be uncertainty all next week until the result is known, meaning that whoever is coaching will need to plan the team for either outcome.

Hardly the best preparation for what will already be a very difficult fixture.

Rangers should think again and withdraw the appeal.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I do not believe that there is any possibility of an appeal winning, but perhaps the Machiavellian in me is considering whether there isn't another purpose in this i.e. highlight the general poor standard of refereeing in Scotland. No doubt they will show the tackles on McKay in the same match as mitigating circumstances. Although I do not believe that there is a plot for all referees in Scotland against Rangers, there is no question that we are not getting our share of the 50/50 decisions and when it comes to Clancy and Thompson in particular, it does appear that there is an agenda. Just too many 'mistakes'.

For all the contempt that I hold towards Lennon and Celtic, they have had very few marginal decisions going against them since the time of the Refs strike. Perhaps as we continue with our dignified silence mentality we may be trying to find a more measured approach?

The refereeing the other night was atrocious (not for the first time from Clancy at Ibrox this season) so I'm glad the club are defending the player here.

I still think it's a very soft red card. A stupid challenge no doubt but I'm not convinced it was worthy of anything more than a booking.

I do not believe that there is any possibility of an appeal winning, but perhaps the Machiavellian in me is considering whether there isn't another purpose in this i.e. highlight the general poor standard of refereeing in Scotland. No doubt they will show the tackles on McKay in the same match as mitigating circumstances. Although I do not believe that there is a plot for all referees in Scotland against Rangers, there is no question that we are not getting our share of the 50/50 decisions and when it comes to Clancy and Thompson in particular, it does appear that there is an agenda. Just too many 'mistakes'.

For all the contempt that I hold towards Lennon and Celtic, they have had very few marginal decisions going against them since the time of the Refs strike. Perhaps as we continue with our dignified silence mentality we may be trying to find a more measured approach?

The tackles on McKay are NOT mitigating circumstances for Kiernan's reckless challenge.

If Rangers want to highlight any perception about unfair or poor standard of refereeing then this is not the way to do it.

They should look at the season as a whole and if they can find examples of Rangers players being punished for tackles that others are not then they could make a case and that might influence future events; but tacking that on to a lost cause in the case of Kiernan is counter productive in my view.