Why Rangers should close the gap without spending heavily

Silly to say but after Murty's reign and Pedro's first game we might just have the ready made striker already i.e. Waghorn.He has finally been given the chance to play as centre forward and looks a different player IMO. Remember we have Hardie scoring at Raith who hopefully will be given his chance next season.

It was very clumsy wording Pete - apologies. I meant we are three positions away from having a first eleven that's good enough to challenge, but we need a strong squad because injuries are inevitable and we don't have the strength in the squad to get through an entire season.

What do you think?

We definitely need defenders who can defend. While I really like Hill, I don't think he can take us to the next level and if the boss is going for the high press then we need far speedier defenders. I would say we need 2 good defenders. Unfortunately Kiernen and Wilson couldn't tackle a fish supper but I think both may be okay as squad players. If we could get Hyndman and Toral on a permanent basis I would be thrilled. We also don't know how Rossiter will come on and Jordon Thomson is another name that might play a role in the midfield position. If Hyndman and Toral leave then we will definitely need the midfield strengthened. I would try and get Waghorn's contract renewed and we don't yet know what Dodoo can do. Pedro has talked about him and his game time a few times and brought him on on Saturday so he may see something Warburton never. I know in my own life what can happen if a manager takes a dislike to you so I can imagine how Waghorn and Dodoo felt. Can Ryan Hardie make a step up? He scored yesterday against Dundee UTD Sorry for King Kenny but I would let him go I think he has ran his race. A lot of if's and but's but I would say we need 5 new players in total but we may not have to look far to find them. Only the manager can see how far the Loan players have come.

Edited by pete

A consistent goal scorer and a bit of presence in central midfield would have us looking a very different prospect. Centre back might nice too. Might not be enough to beat them to the league but would be enough to beat everyone else and run them a bit closer.

I still think Garner may prove to be a prolific scorer utilised to suit his style and properly supported. Rossiter could still be a revelation in midfield if we can get him fit and keep him that way and Niko too will return with a full pre season behind him.

While the centre back position is indeed something of an ongoing problem that will hopefully be solved during the next window. Presuming we will have Euro football to offer that prospect may prove attractive to the right kind of player.

I still think Garner may prove to be a prolific scorer utilised to suit his style and properly supported. Rossiter could still be a revelation in midfield if we can get him fit and keep him that way and Niko too will return with a full pre season behind him.

While the centre back position is indeed something of an ongoing problem that will hopefully be solved during the next window. Presuming we will have Euro football to offer that prospect may prove attractive to the right kind of player.

Although he's not the only guilty party, had Garner shown any hint of a speck of the ability to hit a coo's erse with a canoe paddle, we would not be in our current position, IMHO.

With regards to the initial point about the closing the gap, if you take the 8 games we have drawn and turn them into wins you already have an extra 16 points and then turn some of the defeats (Aberdeen, Hearts) into draws or wins you are edging closer to 20 more points than our current total. I also cannot imagine Celtic having the same season if there is a team within touching distance of them. They have been playing with zero pressure for much of this season.

Let's wait and see before being so negative - IMO the board backed Warburton pretty well in the summer. Hopefully they will do the same with Pedro.

They backed Warburton pretty well in comparison to Hearts and Aberdeen. Objectively for a club of our size? We spent peanuts and we got monkeys.

They backed Warburton pretty well in comparison to Hearts and Aberdeen. Objectively for a club of our size? We spent peanuts and we got monkeys.

I never know if you're serious or not, but since you managed to get me to bite, you might as well reel me in. Our recent financial results show that what we spent was almost exactly proportionate for a "club of our size". The fact is that MW was supported well in the summer but for a number of reasons the signings haven't performed. What we spent was much more than peanuts and what we have are players that deserve more credit and respect than being called monkeys.

So go on, please tell me you weren't being serious.

I never know if you're serious or not, but since you managed to get me to bite, you might as well reel me in. Our recent financial results show that what we spent was almost exactly proportionate for a "club of our size". The fact is that MW was supported well in the summer but for a number of reasons the signings haven't performed. What we spent was much more than peanuts and what we have are players that deserve more credit and respect than being called monkeys.

So go on, please tell me you weren't being serious.

Before I answer this, do you think Celtic are a bigger club than us?

Edit:

What we spent was much more than peanuts and what we have are players that deserve more credit and respect than being called monkeys.

What? Monkeys is exactly what they are.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy