Who is the best player ever to have played at Ibrox.

Again - A generation thing which will have various great answers.

Mendieta for Valencia was terrific on the night. 99-2000 was it?

Lothar Matthaus for Bayern but he didnt play well.

Giggs for Man Utd.

As Gunslinger said - Buffon - best goalkeeper of all time for me.

The list is massive when you say who is the best who has played there. But it should be given to someone in a Gers Jersey.

Another good question would be who is hardest player to play at Ibrox.

Terry Hurlock was an animal :D

But Big Duncan Ferguson wins that easily :champs: Battered burglars - there is no competition.

For Real in the EC.

Okay thanks. I can't really remember seeing Puskas but my father was totally taken away with him. I think my father attended the Hampden final when Real Madrid beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3.

In terms of Rangers players that I've seen: Baxter, Laudrup, Gascoigne and Ronald de Boer in that order. However, for pure football brain, de Boer gets it every time.

I would have to give opposition players a lot of thought and I wouldn't argue with any of the names mentioned but there were several in the 2 time European Champion Inter Milan side of 1965 who were at their peak: e.g. LB Giacinto Facchetti, No 9 Sandro Mazzola and the deep lying No 10 Luis Suárez, the lynch pin in the catenacchio system.

"Suarez originally achieved prominence as a creative inside forward or attacking midfielder for the great Barcelona team of the 1950s before he joined Inter Milan where he reached his prime as deep lying playmaker for the legendary Grande Inter team of the 1960s. He played a pivotal role in the success Herrera's Inter Milan side, and was one of the primary creative forces in the squad, due to his ball skills, vision, and passing range."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Su%C3%A1rez_(footballer,_born_1935)

As an aside, on a February night in 1965 when the snow had been cleared and was piled high at the side of the pitch, Rangers came within a late George McLean header off the bar of recovering a 3-1 away loss to take Helenio Herrera's side to a 3rd game in the Quarter Final (there was no "away goals" rule in those days and Rangers had already defeated Red Star Belgrade 3-1 in a Preliminary Round Play-off at Highbury). Inter went on to beat the legendary Liverpool side of Ian St John, Roger Hunt, Tommy Smith et al, 4-3 on aggregate in the Semis and a Benfica team boosting an outstanding forward line of Jose Augusto, Jose Torres, Eusebio, and António Simões 1-0 in the final.

I'd give Juan Riquelme of Villarreal an honourable mention.

_41364638_riquelmeceleb203i.jpg

He broke the mould. Understanding, mental speed, respect for the game and love for the ball. And The Best Speaker Ever. I will miss you Roman,” tweeted the journalist Juan Pablo Varsky to his 579,000 followers. The veteran sports columnist Horacio Pagani described Riquelme as “the second inventor of football; the first were the English over one hundred years ago”. And the former Real Madrid player turned TV pundit Quique Wolff suggested Boca retire the No10 shirt as a mark of respect.

Perhaps the pinnacle of his career was in 2006, when his presence at Villarreal put the small club on the European map, and his steady, slow leadership of a complex orchestra was at the heart of some of the most wonderful World Cup football Argentina have ever performed."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/27/juan-roman-riquelme-argentina-football-retires

In theory he played left midfield but constantly came inside and ran the game from the centre circle. Rangers held on doggedly in the last-16 Champions League tie and twice came from behind through Lovenkrands and Buffel to draw 2-2 before going out on away goals 1-1 in El Madrigal to the side that then beat Inter Milan before going out in the semis to Arsenal.

Going back to best player it is worth quoting Mr HH:

"Alfredo Di Stéfano was the greatest footballer of all time - far better even than Pelé. He was, simultaneously, the anchor in defence, the playmaker in midfield, and the most dangerous marksman in attack."

Di Stefano played in all five of Real Madrid's European Cup wining sides of 1955-1960 and was 37 when Real played at Ibrox in the First Round of the European Cup in 1963; but he made the pass to Gento who tore past Bobby Shearer and crossed for Puskas to score the only goal of the match.

Edited by BrahimHemdani