Chelsea beat Man City in race to sign Rangers wonderkid Billy Gilmour

Didn't the recently appointed UEFA President come out against the stockpiling of youngsters by rich clubs? Hopefully something will be done, but think it will be too late to benefit us with BG. Also, to be fair, we tend to poach a lot of youngsters from other clubs, so to complain (provided Chelsea's approach was within the rules) would be a bit hypocritical. If we are getting £500k, that is probably about 10% of our total outlay for the first team squad, for a young man with undoubted talent and potential but who is certainly very far from the finished article. I do think it is a shame though as I just cannot see any first team opportunities at a club like Chelsea (or any of the top EPL clubs) whereas if Billy stayed at Rangers, there would be far greater opportunity. However financially, if he keeps the nut screwed on, this could set him up for life, so can see it from both sides.

Assuming this is true ...

Hope we put in a nice sell-on clause. Even just 5% or something. Lowly Hansa Rostock did that when a very young Toni Kroos went to Bayern Munich ... and got a healthy reward later on, when he went to Spain for mega-bucks.

We probably have to live with these scenarios for quite some time, and purely pragmatically, for a Scottish club getting 500k for a 15-year old is quite handsome. Going by what they pay down there, if he behaves and develops nicely, he could stop working in 5 to 10 years time ...

If this is true?, this is just a development fee and not an actual transfer then surely we couldn't have a sell on clause attached!

If this story was true I'd suspect we would be hearing it from a more informed source than a couple of sites who do nothing more than pass on second hand stories or rumour as fact.

"We understand" is what most of those sites should change their names to.

I'll file under shecht for the moment.

Looks a terrible move for him, and for Rangers. However, with these youngsters likely being offered £20k+ odd per week at 16 years old, it's little wonder many are tempted to go down south.

Just look at the boy Islam Feruz that joined Chelsea from Celtic at the age of 16 (in 2011). Now aged 21 he has 0 Chelsea appearances and is on his 5th loan from the club - currently at Swindon... If he had stayed in the dark side of Glasgow he'd more than likely have broken into the first team.

It's little wonder Scottish football is in such a state when the best young talent like Gilmour are snapped up at 16 by EPL elite, put on luxury contracts, then farmed out to lower league clubs before being offloaded by the EPL team a few years down the line.

I thought the cross-border compensation was capped at £250K? Was this not what we were told and what we paid Liverpool for Rossiter, despite him having a (no laughing) valuation of around £6M at the time if he went to another English team?

True, but teams are lining up to nab Gilmour so they may be tempted to try to get an agreement ahead of having to fend off other teams who have also offered 250k.

I don't think this is a done deal as yet though - these rumours have been abounding for months - though it was thought he would be choosing Arsenal over Chelsea when I heard them a couple of months ago.

Personally it would be tough for him to not accept a deal with Chelsea as they will undoubtedly be paying him a ridiculous amount of money for such a young kid. However, professionally I think Chelsea is a very poor move for the lad because, as was said, they bring in quantity and throw kids on the scrapheap as soon as they don't see value in them. Two seasons ago they had no less than 53 young players out on loan.

Whilst I would much rather see him stay with us it will be very difficult for such a young lad to not see the pound signs and see that he could secure his family's future.

As an FYI, his young brother is on the books at Killie - some decent genes in that family :D

A post on FF from a relation to the lad.

Default Re: Billy Gilmour Signs For Chelsea? (Unconfirmed Speculation)

The situation is this -

Billy is out of contract in the summer

A host of top European teams have made contact, Chelsea, Arsenal etc

Rangers have allowed Billy to visit a few teams as reported in press

NO formal offers have been made because he is only 15

Billy has not decided but undoubtedly has options

As I've posted before, stuff about sources from parents, contracts at Chelsea with houses etc are all crap

Nothing is agreed

It may happen, but at this moment it hasn't

Rangers are very much in the running, the wee man played on Saturday too in bounce game

As for some of the comments, get a ****ing g

Edited by chilledbear

Money talks----Gilmour walks.Hes not the only one by any manner of means.Its all a bit depressing really.Smaller nations and clubs are being raped by champions league and sky money.

Its fecking disgraceful. No incentive to rear young players,none. A few pennies thrown to the peasants.

True, but teams are lining up to nab Gilmour so they may be tempted to try to get an agreement ahead of having to fend off other teams who have also offered 250k.

I don't think this is a done deal as yet though - these rumours have been abounding for months - though it was thought he would be choosing Arsenal over Chelsea when I heard them a couple of months ago.

Personally it would be tough for him to not accept a deal with Chelsea as they will undoubtedly be paying him a ridiculous amount of money for such a young kid. However, professionally I think Chelsea is a very poor move for the lad because, as was said, they bring in quantity and throw kids on the scrapheap as soon as they don't see value in them. Two seasons ago they had no less than 53 young players out on loan.

Whilst I would much rather see him stay with us it will be very difficult for such a young lad to not see the pound signs and see that he could secure his family's future.

As an FYI, his young brother is on the books at Killie - some decent genes in that family :D

We had some decent jeans in our family too.:D

A post on FF from a relation to the lad.

Default Re: Billy Gilmour Signs For Chelsea? (Unconfirmed Speculation)

The situation is this -

Billy is out of contract in the summer

A host of top European teams have made contact, Chelsea, Arsenal etc

Rangers have allowed Billy to visit a few teams as reported in press

NO formal offers have been made because he is only 15

Billy has not decided but undoubtedly has options

As I've posted before, stuff about sources from parents, contracts at Chelsea with houses etc are all crap

Nothing is agreed

It may happen, but at this moment it hasn't

Rangers are very much in the running, the wee man played on Saturday too in bounce game

As for some of the comments, get a ****ing g

Not blaming the lad in any way,fact is ,he would be mad to sign for us(all things considered).