Rangers agree deal to sell Billy Gilmour to Chelsea: The fee could reach £600,000

I do have an issue with kids going to pro-clubs. The churn rate of boys is appalling, the number who simply drop out wouldn't be tolerated in any other profession. Professional football clubs are by and large poorly run, with erratic football cultures, short-termism and self interest embedded in their DNA. They are no place for children.

I also don't buy into this not being an easy decision because of the money. The boy's from Ayrshire, not a shanty town on the edge of Brazzaville. He already has a comfortable life in one of the wealthiest, Western liberal democracies in the world. I mean let's get some perspective here, if he doesn't make it in football there are still thousands of opportunities open to him.

As for the mentality, he may well believe he can be a world beater, maybe his parents too, and maybe they are correct. But Rangers have helped get him where he is now and some degree of loyalty isn't too much to ask. And if for any reason they don't want to stay at Rangers then Chelsea is a bizarre choice of club to join. They've literally not produced a first team player from their own ranks since John Terry. They'll had 3 managers by the time the lad turns 18.

I agree with you about the coaches though!

Will reply when not on the phone. I disagree on a few of your points, you will be unsurprised to hear :D

I have from a close friend of the family, that their motivation and aspirations for Billy at this stage in his career as based purely on Development. Nothing to do with money......yet.

Also told me that whilst the laddie comes from good stock, the family are most upset at some of the advice his 1st team mentor has been giving him "never mind school and exams, concentrate on football" type of thing.

To such a degree they felt strongly enough to call a meeting and bring it to the attention of the management team at Auchenhowie.

Maybe a minor issue, but any negatives come into play when the kid and his family are making decisions on Billy's future.

I have from a close friend of the family, that their motivation and aspirations for Billy at this stage in his career as based purely on Development. Nothing to do with money......yet.

Also told me that whilst the laddie comes from good stock, the family are most upset at some of the advice his 1st team mentor has been giving him "never mind school and exams, concentrate on football" type of thing.

To such a degree they felt strongly enough to call a meeting and bring it to the attention of the management team at Auchenhowie.

Maybe a minor issue, but any negatives come into play when the kid and his family are making decisions on Billy's future.

Sounds like making excuses.

Aye, that makes sense, take him out of school and move him to London would be the obvious reaction to that...

Sounds like making excuses.

Why not use the terms "possible reasons" rather than wielding the excuse cudgel somewhat liberally? We hardly know and Rangers supporters are probably not the best people to look for an objective judgement, are we? (And yes, some will sure reply that they can evaluate the situation objectively ... to which others might reply: excuses! ;) )

Edited by der Berliner

No disrespect to you or your source - but that makes little sense to me.

Billy Gilmour is still a part of the Academy and I know for FACT that Craig Mulholland is a GREAT believer that education is paramount at the Academy - so much so that he fought tooth and nail and was, thankfully, successful in convincing the RFC hierarchy that they needed to offer an educational aspect at Rangers and in the past year have partnered with one of the local schools so that Academy players can be schooled together in the same school. I don't believe that Billy is a part of that as I think he is still at Grange Academy in Ayrshire - but the fact remains that the leader of the Academy greatly believes in the educational aspect of an Academy player.

Admittedly his 1st team mentor (assuming it is someone on the 1st team playing staff) will have a different perspective - but if what you say is so then the family are making a little bit of a mountain out of a molehill - all they needed to do the 1st time Billy told them what he was told was to request a meeting with Mulholland and it would have been sorted to the family's satisfaction.

Either way, hopefully the lad stays as he could gain invaluable experience in our 1st team within the next 12-18 months which would stand him in far better stead than heading to Chelsea's Academy and being loaned out to numerous outposts where the football on show will be very poor.

Edited by craig

I can remember when clubs might buy a prospects mum a washing machine to smooth a deal ,changed day's I wish the boy well wherever he goes .

John Fleck's family were bought a house.... just imagine what the big teams down south will offer these days....

i remember being shown a house, bungalow, that John Lawrence apparently built for Baxter; it is still there, on Dumbreck Road.

A home of his own, built by John Lawrence...........

Edited by Uilleam

No disrespect to you or your source - but that makes little sense to me.

Billy Gilmour is still a part of the Academy and I know for FACT that Craig Mulholland is a GREAT believer that education is paramount at the Academy - so much so that he fought tooth and nail and was, thankfully, successful in convincing the RFC hierarchy that they needed to offer an educational aspect at Rangers and in the past year have partnered with one of the local schools so that Academy players can be schooled together in the same school. I don't believe that Billy is a part of that as I think he is still at Grange Academy in Ayrshire - but the fact remains that the leader of the Academy greatly believes in the educational aspect of an Academy player.

Admittedly his 1st team mentor (assuming it is someone on the 1st team playing staff) will have a different perspective - but if what you say is so then the family are making a little bit of a mountain out of a molehill - all they needed to do the 1st time Billy told them what he was told was to request a meeting with Mulholland and it would have been sorted to the family's satisfaction.

Either way, hopefully the lad stays as he could gain invaluable experience in our 1st team within the next 12-18 months which would stand him in far better stead than heading to Chelsea's Academy and being loaned out to numerous outposts where the football on show will be very poor.

I have no doubt my source is well connected to the family, on his mobile he showed me umpteen pics of Billy and messages from the laddies dad.

He told me the issue was particularly concerning as the advice from his mentor to forget about schooling (and yes he is a first team member and a senior on at that) was unsettling the kid and compromising his academic results.

Now guys I'm only reporting what I've been told , I have no axe to grind either way in this debate, and there is always 2 sides to every tale. and it could very well be the case that his family are making something out of a throwaway remark or even Billy is just deflecting from disappointing exam results.

Personally I have no doubt that our club have given him the best opportunity to develop and coaching possible and hope he goes on to fulfil his potential.