Let us wonder...

Clearly no quick fixes: we're not spanking vast sums so patience is required. Agree that the spine is an issue. Central defence has looked more solid in the last few months but the midfield, which did so well last year, has been all over the place. Up front, I'd say our conversion rate is laughable, except I'm not laughing one bit.

A centre back (especially if Hill goes) a couple of good signings in midfield, plus a striker who can actually fucking strike would make us a different prospect, IMHO. Might not be enough to overhaul Sporting Leprechaun but would run them a lot closer. Is it realistic for us to spend on three or four signings?

agree the defence is performing better just now but still feel a commanding centre half is a must going forward

Everything is a must, unfortunately, but we'll have to prioritise. Sorting the midfield and adding a competent striker have to be the first priorities, IMHO.

I'm confident we're going to lose 2, maybe even 3 centre backs in the summer so this has got to be the priority for me. Senderos and Hill are out of contract and don't see them being renewed, I also don't see Kiernan being kept unless we can't find somebody else.

Midfield, we have the returning Rossiter and Kranjcar (assuming both stay fit of course) which will be like new signings.

Up top, think Kenny will be moving on, and if not, spending more time on the bench as I can't see PC not signing a CF when his team is based around high pressure.

I think in 12 months time we will be asking how much longer we have to put up with the manager and speculation about his replacement for the summer will be rife. I obviously hope this is not the case but I have no confidence in him, or the recruitment process that brought him to us.

Now, for what I can realistically hope for. Still in the title race by the split but perhaps trailing by 10 points or so. Clear in second by the same margin. Have reached the final of both cups and win one. Reached at least the final qualifying round of the Europa. Got rid of at least 10 players from this seasons squad and replaced them with better players for much the same budget. I believe this is achievable if we work in the proper markets - i.e. not buying from the most expensive country in the world and bringing in 3rd tier players from Wigan and Accrington.

Now what I can dream for - one or two quality signings plus a few others that improve the team, neck and neck for the title, won a cup, reached the Europa group stages.

I keep telling people that are talking of it being impossible to stop 10IAR that when we won our 6IAR, the bheasts were in 4th place 15 points behind (once converted to 3 for a win) and that was with us dropping about 10 points in the final 6 games due it being won so early. We were at least as far ahead of them as we are behind just now. Football can be changed around quickly. All we need to do is improve our side enough that we comfortably are better than the rest. In a two team league this should not be difficult given our resources compared to that of the others. Then we see what happens when a team that has had no pressure on them for 6 years comes under pressure in a title fight. I am certainly looking forward to this challenge, and hope it is 2017-18 that we see it.

Football can be changed quickly but that needs both a plan and finance. They were far behind, as you say. But then they changed from buying the likes of Biggins and Slater to buying the likes of DiCanio and Van whatsisname. That's what changed. Later Larsson, Sutton, Hartsob and so forth. Players on wages that are unthikable when we were at 6inarow

Edited by SteveC

I think in 12 months time we will be asking how much longer we have to put up with the manager and speculation about his replacement for the summer will be rife. I obviously hope this is not the case but I have no confidence in him, or the recruitment process that brought him to us.

Now, for what I can realistically hope for. Still in the title race by the split but perhaps trailing by 10 points or so. Clear in second by the same margin. Have reached the final of both cups and win one. Reached at least the final qualifying round of the Europa. Got rid of at least 10 players from this seasons squad and replaced them with better players for much the same budget. I believe this is achievable if we work in the proper markets - i.e. not buying from the most expensive country in the world and bringing in 3rd tier players from Wigan and Accrington.

Now what I can dream for - one or two quality signings plus a few others that improve the team, neck and neck for the title, won a cup, reached the Europa group stages.

I keep telling people that are talking of it being impossible to stop 10IAR that when we won our 6IAR, the bheasts were in 4th place 15 points behind (once converted to 3 for a win) and that was with us dropping about 10 points in the final 6 games due it being won so early. We were at least as far ahead of them as we are behind just now. Football can be changed around quickly. All we need to do is improve our side enough that we comfortably are better than the rest. In a two team league this should not be difficult given our resources compared to that of the others. Then we see what happens when a team that has had no pressure on them for 6 years comes under pressure in a title fight. I am certainly looking forward to this challenge, and hope it is 2017-18 that we see it.

I have to agree re the manager. i don't see what he brings to the table to be honest. our play has gone from 71% possession to not being able to put 3 passes together. Somebody mentioned he likes High pressure well I have seen nothing of that in the last few games. I also think he is making the same mistake as Ally in setting his team up worrying about the other team too much. When he is giving a discription of his tactics and view on the game I have no idea what he is talking about and I doubt that the players do either. As you say I hope we are wrong.

Edited by pete

I have to agree re the manager. i don't see what he brings to the table to be honest. our play has gone from 71% possession to not being able to put 3 passes together. Somebody mentioned he likes High pressure well I have seen nothing of that in the last few games. I also think he is making the same mistake as Ally in setting his team up worrying about the other team too much. When he is giving a discription of his tactics and view on the game I have no idea what he is talking about and I doubt that the players do either. As you say I hope we are wrong.

One major complaint from many about Warbs was that he was too focused on us & not enough on the opposition - what's it to be??

I think whatever the justifiable reservations we have about PC, he deserves a chance to put his own slant on the team and to then be judged on results.

As for the differences between Warburton and PC, I'm sure there are those much more competent to describe in detail, but PC will adopt some of the Mourinho style, with the focus on attacking play, pressure and transition (i.e. from defence to attack, attack to defence).

One major complaint from many about Warbs was that he was too focused on us & not enough on the opposition - what's it to be??

Happy medium? Personally I think Warburton had the right idea he just never bought the right players to pull it off. I prefer the possession game but with players that can open other teams up and a defence that can defend.