"Some Rangers fans need a wee reality check - the Ibrox club is still on the up"

the Board said a Director Of Football was a priority 3 months ago

so where is the update on that?

surely they should gave been in place before any manager was appointed and definitely before another round of transfer business is started

Methinks we had two or three main targets whom we really wanted, but for one reason or another, neither of these targets wanted to come. We don't know much more about any more targets, so one can assume that the rest wasn't deemed good enough and the project was shelved. At least for the time being.

The club never had a DoF before and we don't know what PC's opinion on that topic is (do we?). It makes you wonder why so many "suddenly" seem to think that having a DoF is an imperative, or else all goes down the drain.

Methinks we had two or three main targets whom we really wanted, but for one reason or another, neither of these targets wanted to come. We don't know much more about any more targets, so one can assume that the rest wasn't deemed good enough and the project was shelved. At least for the time being.

The club never had a DoF before and we don't know what PC's opinion on that topic is (do we?). It makes you wonder why so many "suddenly" seem to think that having a DoF is an imperative, or else all goes down the drain.

I just think that the lack of the appointment of a DoF is being used as a rod to beat the board with. SR stated that the appointment was being made 'imminently" and since then, total silence. The board could have come out and stated that the appointment would only be made in the summer (if that is their intention) or that following discussion with PC, they have revised their thinking and will not be appointing a DoF. There is a great deal of basic information that could be shared with the supporters, which would have avoided much of the speculation.

because the board aren't qualified to do it

putting aside the appointment of both managers, how would you describe the value for money from transfers?

without the DoF how will this be stopped from happening again?

what exactly is our scouting network for new players?

I think Drew's comments are quite welcome as they offer a pragmatic view of where we are.

Yes, things are far from ideal but they've been a lot worse and things could easily turn more positive over the next few months. A strong finish to the season, an obvious roadmap from the board, 4 or 5 good signings and we'll be in a better position.

I renewed my season ticker the other day as I'm confident we'll see more progress next season.

I have stopped splitting posts up to answer every line, but in this case I'll do it ...

because the board aren't qualified to do it

That is a personal opinion and if we ask 10 people about it, we would get all sorts of subjective answers. The main problem is that we won't get all the info we want and even if, there will be more questions again that will go deeply into the business structure and won't be answered.

At times it makes you wonder how people do come to this conclusion though. IMHO not much different than going to a shop, looking for e.g. iPhone 7 in blue and if they don't have it right there, you tell them that they can't do their job properly. If a suitable DoF is not there, the Board can't clone one.

putting aside the appointment of both managers, how would you describe the value for money from transfers?

I would assume that you include wages and budget et al as well, as the "transfer - value - for money" would leave us with, Dodoo (not bad), Rossiter (looked good), Hodson (or was he a freebie?), Alnwick (no comment), and Garner. The rest were freebies.

Who can tell how a fit Rossiter and Kranjcar will have impacted in our team? IMHO, our main downfall was - MW tactics apart - the inability of our settled players from last season to bring their form to the Premiership. Waghorn, Tavernier, McKay et al, far too inconsistent and hardly able to hit the goal.

Of course, even with Garner included, our squad's players' TF value on average is somewhere between 150 and 250k. Taking that into account, you probably got value for money, only that the value wasn't up for Rangers' standards.

without the DoF how will this be stopped from happening again?

What gives you the impression that a DoF is by default any better than what is being done right now with transfers?

what exactly is our scouting network for new players?

Good question and one for the Board answer. Methinks we got quite a few scouts at youth level and we simply don't know (sic!) who we have looking at players these days. In turn, I do assume that we get all sorts of info from the various agents and will in turn look at this or that player offered in closer detail.

PC has three coaches next to him, plus JJ now. I would assume that they all have - to a certain degree - contacts that they can draw upon. But I doubt they will share that info with anyone.

I think the strongest statement the Board could possibly make is in the Summer transfer window.....anything else is simply paper-talk.

As for the DoF....obviously the plans/timeline have changed (for the time being). They are are allowed to change their mind you know!!!

This is where statements can cause problems.....many folk believe that the contents are then set in stone & can't be altered. If a followup statement is issued detailing the change, they then get slaughtered for having no direction/leadership. Eg. DK is still been "hounded" over his £30m/childrens inheritance comments from 3 years ago.. PC still gets his "Best squad in the country" comments fired back at him (in the media).