Partick Thistle 1 - 2 Rangers

I couldn't get to a screen yesterday until just before McKay scored. Rangers were magnificent. Wizardry from McKay and Tavernier, hard work throughout the team and buzzbomb Miller in a diagonal sprint to create the chance for a Jimmy Millar style header from Garner.

Seems I was very lucky to have missed the previous eighty minutes.

Actually my praise of KM is genuine. Just before the winner he had done a forty yard sprint to force a Thistle attacker into a loose pass. You could see him go up a gear for the second twenty when most forwards would be easing off passing the buck to a defender.

Despite losing the ten minutes 0-2 Jags looked like a team.

I didn't notice your post before posting myself in praise of Miller. The run back was just in front of me and to be fair he wasn't able to join the ensuing attack but who would?

Thistle were excellent in the first half and as you say won the 80 minutes comfortably 1-0.

I didn't notice your post before posting myself in praise of Miller. The run back was just in front of me and to be fair he wasn't able to join the ensuing attack but who would?

Thistle were excellent in the first half and as you say won the 80 minutes comfortably 1-0.

I totally agree with you,but isnt your last sentence heartbreaking.What is going to become of us if this continues.

I couldn't get to a screen yesterday until just before McKay scored. Rangers were magnificent. Wizardry from McKay and Tavernier, hard work throughout the team and buzzbomb Miller in a diagonal sprint to create the chance for a Jimmy Millar style header from Garner.

Seems I was very lucky to have missed the previous eighty minutes.

Actually my praise of KM is genuine. Just before the winner he had done a forty yard sprint to force a Thistle attacker into a loose pass. You could see him go up a gear for the second twenty when most forwards would be easing off passing the buck to a defender.

Despite losing the ten minutes 0-2 Jags looked like a team.

You were lucky and saw a different match from the rest of us Scott. We were absolutely dreadful before McKay came on. Dreadful. Thistle could have been out of sight until the last 10 minutes.

I totally agree with you,but isnt your last sentence heartbreaking.What is going to become of us if this continues.

You were lucky and saw a different match from the rest of us Scott. We were absolutely dreadful before McKay came on. Dreadful. Thistle could have been out of sight until the last 10 minutes.

We were indeed dreadful for most of this match, Thistle passed us off the park and made us look a very ordinary team. But it's a fact that ARE a very ordinary team right now, lacking in quality in all positions.

Mackay has it but 10 minutes isn't enough to earn a wage.

What we lack is someone who controls our passing through midfield, someone always willing to take the ball and pass it on. Apart from the back-4, Garner and perhaps Dodoo, we were chasing the ball all over the park with people running into various slots and positions and vacating others. We made it very easy for them ... which in turn did not make them look better than they are.

As with nigh every game since he was introduced, we utilized Bates as the chap to play the ball up front. Someone who is sure not known to hit a precise pass up front (as opposed to Wilson). Hence, 9,5 out of 10 long balls from Bates were instantly returned and cause problems for our defence. I was rather upset that we did it once, but we continue to do it and none of the creative attackers took up that mantle, e.g. Windass. You would hope Kranjcar can stay fit next season, and another likeminded and gifted chap is playing next to him.

Thistle are in the top 6 because they know what they are doing. Play as a unit, soak up pressure and hit the ball to outfield players who are good and drilled enough by now to spot certain weaknesses. E.g. Tav being out of position or can be outdone if two chaps attack his defensive area - as he's got that daydream-moment in every game.

That aside, their whole midfield-to-attack folk looked a head taller and physically stronger than us. While it is good to have technically gifted and versatile folk, you also need someone with a bit of physique to make his presence felt.

And ... we need a leader on the park too.

If we are being brutally honest there are very few players in our starting XI who should be starting next season. A horrible, sobering thought.

I would only really keep, in the starting XI, :

Foderingham

Wallace

Miller

That is about it to be honest with other possibilities such as Holt & McKay depending on which one shows up. The rest just aren't good enough - though I would give leeway to Kranjcar and Rossiter to see if they can get, and remain, fit.

If we are being brutally honest there are very few players in our starting XI who should be starting next season. A horrible, sobering thought.

I would only really keep, in the starting XI, :

Foderingham

Wallace

Miller

That is about it to be honest with other possibilities such as Holt & McKay depending on which one shows up. The rest just aren't good enough - though I would give leeway to Kranjcar and Rossiter to see if they can get, and remain, fit.

I would add Wilson but that apart completely agree with your assessment (see my Pedro's Choices thread) and would be surprised if PC thought any different.

I would add Wilson but that apart completely agree with your assessment (see my Pedro's Choices thread) and would be surprised if PC thought any different.

Wilson looks cultured but is too prone to concentration lapses. Also not strong enough. And I say that as someone who was excited to see him return.

Guys here looking for wholesale changes to our squad are fated to be disappointed imo.

The money simply isn't there to bring in 8 or 9 new men. Journeymen approaching the end of their careers and maybe 1 or 2 of Pedros pals and that will be it.

The main question will be the wasters and under-talented players we currently employ - will they move on ? I fear not.

Next season we'll be going for 2nd in the league. That will be seen as a success and anybody looking for more is deluding themselves. Again, imo only.

The following season will be the tester as to how good our manager is.