Club Statement - Gilmour joing Chelsea in the summer

RANGERS can confirm that agreement has been reached for our under-16 player Billy Gilmour to join Chelsea in the summer.

The agreement will provide Rangers with a significant sum for a young player who has yet to play first-team football, and further significant amounts could be due based on milestones being reached. We are pleased with this outcome and believe this deal represents good value for Rangers.

... Everyone at Rangers wishes Billy well for his future.

Full article here: https://rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/club-statement-76/

Good luck to the young man, hope he does brilliantly there, but I have my doubts. Also well done to the Academy for developing a player that generates a transfer fee in excess of anything we would receive for any current first team player!

Good luck to him, the money received should help this summer, although, i do hope some of it goes back to the academy.....

Also, like the part that says "further significant amounts could be due based on milestones being reached" however, with the way Chelsea run their youth system, i hope that doesn't get null and voided if they release him for free......

Wish the boy all the best for the future but think it's a terrible move for him

It's a sad situation indeed.

I agree with you it is a poor move (I don't like superlatives generally) from a footballing perspective - his opportunities will be limited with Chelsea given even just the quantum of youth players they have on the books down there (2 seasons ago they loaned over 50 youths out and last season it was in excess of 30 I believe).

From a financial perspective it is probably a life-changing move for the lad. Don't be surprised if he is on something ridiculous like 10k a week (or even more - someone on Twitter even suggesting he is on 40k a week - I know, I know) - with a 3 or 4 yr deal that is just way too much money to reject, whether we like it or not.

And, the sad reality is, even if he broke through into our 1st team the chances of ever making a switch to Chelsea are largely limited.

Can't blame the boy - just shows how the rich leagues continue to get richer and the poorer leagues are left further and further adrift. And UEFA don't care either because the big leagues have them running scared incase they form a breakaway.

There's not many young chaps who would turn down the chance to go to a big London club, glamour, wealth, prestige. Plus a nice increase in the pay. Just hope the club get a nice return for him.

500k - plus potential add-ons.

Good luck to him. Garner aside, does that make Billy worth more than the rest of our squad? On a serious note, I hope the club can make this a trend rather than a one-off. We need to develop more of these talents. If they stay then great, and if they go at least we can reinvest it. Either way, it's a great deal for the club.

I wonder if these deals have buy-back clauses these days. It might be useful if he finds himself in a rut at some point and wants to return. Having said that, the only time I can remember us being in a position where we were willing and able to do that was with Trevor Steven when he went to Marseille.