Rangers v Progrès Niederkorn - Failure is not an option

Considering the team is only 3 weeks into pre season training the result was the most important part of last nights match.

I thought we played well in the first half and could/should have score a few more goals, we fell away a wee bit in the second half which at this stage is probably expected!, the team just needs to keep working hard.

Didn't the team we play last night hail from a place with a population of 2000? We should be gubbing such minnows by a cricket score, regardless of our circumstances. I bet most of our players earn more individually than their entire squad does.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Didn't the team we play last night hail from a place with a population of 2000? We should be gubbing such minnows by a cricket score, regardless of our circumstances. I bet most of our players earn more individually than their entire squad does.

Aye!, we should be, but we never!.

... a 30m pound side with Brenda at the helm managed to get beaten in Gibraltar before the season actually started. It is coming from the farce that UEFA has made of the European competitions.

But having said that, it is akin to how the German governing body runs the German FA Cup, where all teams enter the competition essentially before the season starts and you end with loads of big guns falling to minnows every single year. Bayern met their Waterloo in 1994 (and it has never been changed since then) against TSV Vestenbergsgreuth, essentially a real pub-team.

We're still not right in MF either. We started with three recognised MF players: Holt , Jack & Krankjcar. I don't see how we needed two defensive MF players which what Holt & Jack are.

Then Krankcjar went off & the creativity ended there & then

I think we should be looking at five in MF: three central & one on either flank.

Technically there were 5 in midfield...

Most did say that we'd only need one DM, but when we played with one we were far too open. It might have been other players failing to adapt, but having one did not work. We looked a lot more comfortable with two. We need more creativity from Miller (If he has to play...), Dalcio and Waghorn when Kranjcar goes off (he can't play 90 minutes). I think we missed McKay.

We're still not right in MF either. We started with three recognised MF players: Holt , Jack & Krankjcar. I don't see how we needed two defensive MF players which what Holt & Jack are.

I think we should be looking at five in MF: three central & one on either flank.

the full backs were so far forward we pretty much were

I don't see Holt as a DM. He may have played there last night but he is better at breaking between the lines further forward.

I doubt the Progres approach will change much in Luxembourg. They will continue in the same style of packing the area because realistically if they don't they will be hammered and they know that. They will do exactly as they did at Ibrox and hope to nick something on the break or at a set piece.

And the chances are that's no different from what we will generally face in the SPL and particularly so at Ibrox. But in saying that this team is still short of full match fitness and understanding and we all clearly saw the difference just one man can make when Kranjcar began to drop out of it and left.

So given that we're not yet up to speed and still have several faces to come in including possibly still unsigned faces and given the difference just one man can make I still feel encouraged to say 'you aint seen nothing yet'