Gordon Smith open letter to Dave King

I notice that St Johnstone had a scintillating tilt at the Europa Cup.

For years, press and pundits, across the board, preached the doctrine that Rangers could only be measured by their success in European competition(s). Now,

they preach the doctrine that Rangers should appoint one of the usual suspects, one of the good football men of Scotland, whose collective record in against the continent is embarrassing.

I am reminded of the time when Dick Advocaat was unveiled, and the delight as we realised that The Man was not to be someone, with all respect, like Alex Totten, or Bobby Williamson, or Alex Miller, good Rangers' men all, and knowledgeable about the Scottish game, but lacking the x factor, and awareness of the wider game.

Today's cri de coeur from Gordon Smith reminds me somewhat of those days. 2017 should have no place for The Old Pals' (Scotland) Act 1872; no matter the subsequent amendments, it remains substantially the same: outdated, outmoded, and out of place.

Of course, Rangers did break the mould with Souness, did break the mould with Advocaat, and lately has broken the mould with Caixinha. The first two worked out;

I think that it is too early to tell with the third.

For years, Scottish football was derided as two bald middleweights fighting over a rather small comb; harsh, but largely true. Now, If Rangers doesn't show some adventurous, ambitious thinking, and dispense with the provincial and the parochial, then really it is on its less than merry way to Welsh League obscurity.

I'm in general agreement but I feel Souness "worked out" because he could hardly fail given the disparity in resources. I'm not sure how much DA "worked out" was - I'll never forget the OF gubbings - given his resources. An odd mixture of glorious and catastrophic. He never stood up to the Martian. We also broke the mould with Le Guen, btw, not on your list, I see! Despite all that......I do mainly agree!

Edited by SteveC

Don't give a toss about this letter what concerns me is we don't play anyone until the 6th August now it might be to late to line up some decent friendlies , so take the club out and about phone up some junior sides they could always do with some gate money sorry lads but this team is being run like old Eric Smiths pub team whom I had the pleasure to play for

I'm in general agreement but I feel Souness "worked out" because he could hardly fail given the disparity in resources. I'm not sure how much DA "worked out" was - I'll never forget the OF gubbings - given his resources. An odd mixture of glorious and catastrophic. He never stood up to the Martian. We also broke the mould with Le Guen, btw, not on yur list, I see! Despite all that......I do mainly agree!

I clean forgot about P le G!

He was a dismal fail.

DA brought in cracking players, and the side was often great to watch.

If Gordon Smith would have defended his position within the SFA, against the bias and agenda against him from the usual suspect including the mhedia, with the same standard he expects DK to attain,. I would think , well he knows what he's talking about, he didn't though did he? I'll ignore his pleadings on this.

I'm in general agreement but I feel Souness "worked out" because he could hardly fail given the disparity in resources. I'm not sure how much DA "worked out" was - I'll never forget the OF gubbings - given his resources. An odd mixture of glorious and catastrophic. He never stood up to the Martian. We also broke the mould with Le Guen, btw, not on yur list, I see! Despite all that......I do mainly agree!

Dick Advocaat had the problem of coming up against one of the greatest football brains in the world, Wim Jansen. Even today in Holland he is still classed as one of the most knowledgeable people in football

Edited by pete

Dick Advocaat had the problem of coming up against one of the greatest football brains in the world, Wim Jansen. Even today in Holland he is still classed as one of the most knowledgeable people in football

Advocaat never faced Jansen when he was Rangers manager

No, he came in and faced the "dream team" - and it really was :-) of Barnes and Dalglish and walked it. then O'knel came in and ....well, you know the rest

Edited by SteveC