Rangers are Disappointing Me - and I want us to be better

That's great about your Asian pal. I'm happy to hear anyone is a Rangers fan.

Yes I said the media plays a role, but you've missed the point.

I don't know exactly where the perception comes from - the crucial point it that it exists.

If you think Ibrox is welcoming to all Rangers fans, great, I agree, but of course we think that. There are people out there - potential Rangers fans - who think they aren't welcome to support the team because of some aspect of their background. Even if that's not true, that's a perception I am dying to see go away.

It's not enough, for me, to just point the finger at the press, even if they deserve it in most cases - I just think we as fans, and the club, could go above and beyond to make the experience more welcoming

You're the one who is missing the point. They're all illustrating to you that this 'perception' exists only in your head fed to you by an anti Rangers media section you're actually assisting in perpetuating it.

And again in my opinion it's nothing but attention begging in a pre season where we have installed a new manager and virtually an entirely new team and at this crucial time you come along with this bizarre waffle.

It's interesting to note that we're 8 pages into the thread and the only person to make abusive comments about a religious organisation is the OP. Who is the intolerant bigot?

Quote me, please.

Bluedell edit - "loony Orangemen"

Edited by Bluedell

You're the one who is missing the point. They're all illustrating to you that this 'perception' exists only in your head fed to you by an anti Rangers media section you're actually assisting in perpetuating it.

And again in my opinion it's nothing but attention begging in a pre season where we have installed a new manager and virtually an entirely new team and at this crucial time you come along with this bizarre waffle.

If you think i'm the only who recognises this perception about the club, you're in a bubble, plain and simple.

Again, while I am excited to talk about the club with fellow fans, I don't crave your attention. I wrote an article and wanted to discuss it with fellow fans. I'm enjoying most of that discussion because I think it's an important one.

I don't get the last point, like me discussing a topic like this "at this crucial time" is the least bit damaging to the club. As the article states, the specific things that brought me to write the article are recent incidents from the OO walks this year as well as discussions with friends (both fan and non fan)

Edited by RiverBear7

I am certainly very passionate about the issues, but i'm not trying to force anything on the club or the support. The whole point is that I don't give a shit what you believe (unless it is of a bigoted nature). In fact, the article is about the idea that it's the bigots who control the image of the club, and the ordinary, diverse fans you speak of, who I know exist (because of course they do) deserve to be better represented.

Of course there are some fans for different backgrounds - perhaps many, but that doesn't change what I see from many others, who don't feel able to join in. I don't see what's so bad about saying we could try a little harder to make the welcoming reality more obvious.

As i've continually said, I have the opposite of love for Celtic, but saying 'they're bad too' is no defense. We should strive to be better than them in every regard, on and of the pitch

When have you ever seen a paramilitary banner being raised at Ibrox? When have you ever seen effigies of Celtic players hanging from the stand. When have you heard of referee's having their windows smashed by Rangers supporters? If your opinion is that their support is not worse than ours then you walk about with your eyes shut.

When have you ever seen a paramilitary banner being raised at Ibrox? When have you ever seen effigies of Celtic players hanging from the stand. When have you heard of referee's having their windows smashed by Rangers supporters? If your opinion is that their support is not worse than ours then you walk about with your eyes shut.

Well you and I and everyone but him are obviously in a bubble. Right? Plain and simple.

I skirted over this thread a few days ago and didn't pay it any attention. Then I saw it went on for a few pages so realised there must be more to it. I found the link in the o.p.

Just a couple of points - I've followed Rangers for around 60 years. I'm not and never have been Orange.

Why does the poster take all that time and trouble to talk about Rangers and the O.o. ? Why is it so important to him ?

When the o.p. talks about " the bigots who control the image of the club, and the ordinary, diverse fans you speak of, who I know exist (because of course they do) deserve to be better represented " maybe he should take a look across the other side of the city because no matter what the media say, that is where the REAL bigots, and at a fairy high level amongst their supporter reps too are based.

Believing in a culture is one thing. Openly supporting religious terrorists is another.

In short, o.p. I don't believe you. Kiddyfiddler Street is only a Google search away.

Again, as i've continually said, I have the opposite of love for Celtic, but saying 'they're bad too' is no defense.

To add a bit extra though, of course some of their stuff is terrible, you'll get no arguments from me, but it's the same for them. It's a minority with loud voices while the majority stick their head in the sand. I don't know who is worse - I don't think there's a definitive way of measuring who is worse. It's always struck me that Rangers and Celtic are different sides of the same coin.

But again. Who cares about Celtic. I'm talking about Rangers.

I skirted over this thread a few days ago and didn't pay it any attention. Then I saw it went on for a few pages so realised there must be more to it. I found the link in the o.p.

Just a couple of points - I've followed Rangers for around 60 years. I'm not and never have been Orange.

Why does the poster take all that time and trouble to talk about Rangers and the O.o. ? Why is it so important to him ?

When the o.p. talks about " the bigots who control the image of the club, and the ordinary, diverse fans you speak of, who I know exist (because of course they do) deserve to be better represented " maybe he should take a look across the other side of the city because no matter what the media say, that is where the REAL bigots, and at a fairy high level amongst their supporter reps too are based.

Believing in a culture is one thing. Openly supporting religious terrorists is another.

In short, o.p. I don't believe you. Kiddyfiddler Street is only a Google search away.

I'm sure we won't agree on everything - perhaps anything - but thanks for taking the time to read. All I want really is a conversation.

The OO is not at all important to me in itself. My only close experience of it - as the article states - is with a young boy I used to work with who went on marches, and while I recognised positive aspects of his place there, I also saw some bigoted views being passed on to him as a result. It's important to me also because - whether we like it or not, it's associated with our club.

The second point I think doesn't really matter, not to let Celtic off the hook, but as i've said before - i'm not talking about Celtic here. All too easily we are faced with realities about our club and we instantly point the finger at the other team or the press rather than really look at ourselves.

So going back to my comment you quoted. You say you're not an Orangeman - are you happy that the club is so heavily associated with them? with some of the things they do/say?

Well you and I and everyone but him are obviously in a bubble. Right? Plain and simple.

Let's put it another way. Yes, I have never seen anything so extreme at Ibrox during games, no.

But I have seen the SDL on match day, I have seen footage of Rangers fans singing the Famine song and other sectarian songs both in the stands and away from the ground, I have been personally told that i'm not welcome at Ibrox because I believe in Scottish Independence, and so on, and so on. It's nonsense to think that there's not bad on both sides.

Edited by RiverBear7

Again, as i've continually said, I have the opposite of love for Celtic, but saying 'they're bad too' is no defense.

To add a bit extra though, of course some of their stuff is terrible, you'll get no arguments from me, but it's the same for them. It's a minority with loud voices while the majority stick their head in the sand. I don't know who is worse - I don't think there's a definitive way of measuring who is worse. It's always struck me that Rangers and Celtic are different sides of the same coin.

But again. Who cares about Celtic. I'm talking about Rangers.

I never said they are bad too, so there you are putting words in that were not said. Our supporters in general are not bad. While we do have a dark side to our support it is very minimal and certainly no where near as bad as the east side terrorist supporters. Yes I do dislike the add-ons to our songs and some of the things you do say can be better.

Motherwell supporters on the pitch standing inviting us to a fight. When have we done that? Hibs supporters attacking our players. Again when have we done that? I would say Ibrox is one of the safest grounds to go to.