Rangers are Disappointing Me - and I want us to be better

In my view the poppy should be a symbol of respect for all those killed in wars. Not just our boys but the enemy as well. It means the futility of war to me and the unnecessary loss of lives. Some choose the armed services but many were conscripted in

For me it's just respect to those lost ones

Edited by colinstein

I disagree with you there Oleg. It's only an opinion I hold, however every citizen should show respect in wearing a poppy. Men and woman for generations past, present and in the future have given, and will give, the ultimate sacrifice (I agree with the tabloid rags though).

The very least you would expect is that once a year we wear a poppy to symbolise our thanks, and their sacrifice. Those who do not are the ones who need to have a good look in the mirror. I wonder if most would be bold enough to put their lives on the line for us?

Back to the groin brigade. Those who hide behind masks and plant bombs to murder are cowards. I have no doubt they already know that.

I do not agree with anything you've said above on any level however it is your right to express your opinion. I wear a poppy but it tends to be White.

I'm 40. When I was at school (a proddy one before anyone asks..) you only saw folk like teachers wearing a poppy, and then only in November. My 2 grandfathers both served in world war 2. I can't remember either one ever wearing a poppy, and my mums dad in particular was right into his army reunions & stuff.

Now we have Rangers scarfs on sale all year round with the poppy, and every club in the country (bar one) has them on their strips come November. That's fine, but does it mean folk today are more patriotic or care more about our war dead than my grandad's generation did? Don't make me laugh!!

Every politician should wear one in the week up to Armistice Day, but not in October. There's no need for TV presenters or performers to do so unless they actually want to.

Every politician should visit the war cemeteries in Belgium and France once a year especially the NZ and Canadian ones to remind them who our friends were and the German ones to remind them of the humanity of former foes. In fact I'd make TV and sports stars do the same. Might concentrate their minds a bit.

I'm 40. When I was at school (a proddy one before anyone asks..)

That would actually typically be non denominational. There were Catholics at my secondary school and though you could probably have counted them on one hand they were there and still Catholic. On the other hand it would have been impossible for me to attend any of the local Catholic schools even if I had wanted to which I didn't.

It would appear the OP has achieved his "objective".

I'm interested in what you think the objective is?

For me, while I will always love the club, I think we've become way too insular, and for some, less critical/individual when it comes to their views, simply because it's the opposite of Celtic (they're just the same). I'm not trying to tear the club or the fanbase down, but i'd like to see us evolve a bit.

I am just curious if many people agree with me. From this forum it seems some do, to different extents, and many don't.

I'm interested in what you think the objective is?

Is that address to big blue devil or anybody at all? If it's anybody at all I think the objective is very simple. Attention begging.

I've been going to Ibrox for the best part of 30 years and have had a season ticket for almost 20.

I've never seen any trouble and anyone telling you the stadium or its environs are scary are pulling your plonker. Unwelcoming to away supporters - yes, to an extent but that's the case with any ground. However, there's no danger or threat.

Someone else has said something similar elsewhere, so I want to clarify further.

I have been going to Ibrox most of my life too, and to me, it's not any more dangerous than another ground. However, there are two fairly key things to consider.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, because I may be, but I would guess that, like me, you're a white Scottish male, and possibly identify as a Protestant (again, absolutely nothing wrong with that). But I think for people who don't fit that description, while of course you won't recognise it from your experience, I think Ibrox is a lot more daunting idea.

I can't stress enough, i'm not saying Ibrox or the fans is openly hostile to different kinds of people - what I am saying, is that most people I know who aren't white Scottish males have the idea that they won't be welcome. For example, I have a couple of friends from Europe, and they instantly were more interested in Celtic because they got the feeling that they wouldn't be welcome; similar with people I've talked to from African countries. Of course, that's not conclusive, but I think it's probably representative of some people.

Yes, the media plays a part in that, no question, but again, maybe it means we should have a look at the fanbase and see if there's anything we can do to be more welcoming?

Let me give you an example. I saw this today: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/07/25/society-to-welcome-syrian-guests-to-cup-tie/

Not only is it a nice gesture for the refugees who will go to the match, but it shows to the whole community that this club is for everyone who follows the team. That's all I want for Rangers, and we should surely want as many fans as we can get.

Is that address to big blue devil or anybody at all? If it's anybody at all I think the objective is very simple. Attention begging.

For what purpose? I understand it's been fairly unpopular, but i'm just trying to have a conversation about my football team. It's a forum after all. If you think it's attention begging, don't respond. Simple.