Pedro: Carlos Is Working Hard

It's not unusual for players coming to another country to take a few months to settle. Mkhitaryan never played for 3-4 months under Mourinho and now he's a key player, as he wasn't ready; and he was a 28 year-old international.

I agree that people are perhaps panicking a bit over Pena's contribution so far but for our top summer signing to not be contributing two months after he signed is disappointing.

I'm not sure if we spent £2-3m on the guy or not but, if we're doing that at any point, then the risk has to be absolutely minimal and the gains obvious. It's far too early to say if Pena will be a success or a failure and there are no guarantees with any signing. However, his unavailability so far points to the kind of gamble we can ill-afford to take.

Hopefully he'll feature on Sunday and give the fans a much needed lift. With Windass likely to be out, I think the manager may need to change the shape of the team anyway which may help Pena who is perhaps not perfectly suited to a 4-4-2.

PC sees Pena on a daily basis, so he will know him much better than we do. There seems to be a "fixation on something" needed when things don't go "according to plan" results-wise and right now Pena is high on that list. While it sure is a touch dissapointing that he ain't playing just yet, we are but 3 games into a 38-game season, so plenty of time for him to show his worth.

I'm starting to be slightly concerned about Caixinha. I've always believed managers need to be given time to build a team and he's no different but there's a hint emerging of too many words, too few results. Hopefully he'll dispel these worries soon enough.

It's still early I suppose at just 3 games in but i'm definitely concerned about this since we appear to have shelled out around 3 million on him. He's hardly some lost boy far from home which could have been a valid excuse for young Morelos who appears to be just fine.

He's a 27 year old adult and allegedly a professional footballer. This isn't a life sentence it's a few years earning good money doing what he presumably enjoys, playing football at a professional level then he can go home. Just start doing it already.

Really ? That's exactly what he appears to be, a lost boy far from home.....

Why does your analogy give more flexibility to Morelos ? The reality is that, age aside, Morelos actually has been playing in Europe whilst Pena has not

Edited by craig

Nah, I'd much see their quality tested - both mentally and physically.

Saturday was an opportunity for Pena to be brought on and win us the game. He'd have been an instant hero if he'd created or scored a goal.

Why the manager thought it was fine to bring him on with ten men against Hibs in a game that was already pretty much done but not against Hearts is just another example of dubious judgement for me.

What if bringing him on meant we lost ?

As for the comparison tot he Hibs game... do I really need to explain the differences ? We were down 3-1 against Hibs, game lost, bring him on with little pressure.... vs game on a knife edge against Hearts, bring him on... pressure is infinitely greater.

He'd have been an instant villain if he had given the ball away that led to us losing the game. See, all about moments.....

Edited by craig

Far too early to make that assertion

we don't have the luxury of allowing players a few weeks or months to settle.

We needed players who could go straight into the team & make an immediate impact. If not they shouldn't have been signed