Rossiter has not showed that he is far better.

I think that Jack has.

Jack is one of the best players in the team this season alongside Alves and Morelos.

Rossiter obviously has a good pedigree and I think he'll still become a top player. The problem is, more often than not, we shouldn't need him and Jack in the same midfield.

Rossiter obviously has a good pedigree and I think he'll still become a top player. The problem is, more often than not, we shouldn't need him and Jack in the same midfield.

Agreed. If we were playing against a better quality of opposition each week then having Jack and Rossiter as sitting midfielders would be ideal.

I'm not sure our current personnel are suited to a 4-2-3-1. Candeias, for example suits playing the right side of a 4-4-2 and playing on the right of a 3 wouldn't work as well.

Im not stunned by the thread - Jack is Aberdeen level. He needs to keep climbing the ladder for me. He is a poor mans Stuart McCall.

Exactly what I was thinking. He has done fine so far but is no Stuart McColl, who done the same work as Jack on the negative side of the game, but always looked to pass it forward whereas Jack just looks to pass it square/back. This is an improvement on the last few seasons where we (Halliday/Black/Law etc) would give possession away far too often but I am not overly excited by Jack to date. He's doing fine. If he could lift his head and find some more forward passes or look to carry the ball forward himself when the occasion allows then he would be a far more valuable player for us.

I'm all for not getting carried away but comparing Ryan Jack with Stuart McCall (who had the likes of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Steven and Durrant available for passes) is a bit unfair on a new player who's contribution has been first class so far.

I've not got the most recent stats to hand but in the Motherwell game Jack made 35 passes. 100% of them were successful - 17 of them either forward passes into the final third or between lines. For a player still settling into playing for a club like Rangers, that's not bad going and his contribution so far has been better than Dorrans who has played at the kind of level McCall had by the time he'd joined us.

Jack's job is to hold the midfield via recycling our possession and helping stifle the opposition's forward play. So far, he's done that very well and has showed up well in every match so far. It's up to Dorrans, Candeias, Windass/AN Other and the forwards to do the more creative work.

The "water-carrier" role is always going to be best when unnoticed and he is doing just fine. He breaks up a decent amount, and ensures we keep possession. Job done. I certainly didnt notice too many forward passes yesterday from him, but I dont recall him ever giving the ball away. Job done.

I dont see much to get excited about, certainly wouldnt call it first class or our best player to date, but I certainly am not criticising his efforts to date either. Good solid pro.