Warburton's teams

Not sure how many of you read Football 365, but they often have some cheeky banter. I was reading through the mailbox today and came across an article written by a Forest Fan. Sound familiar? The more things change, the more they stay the same! I have cut and pasted a few of the sentences, so it may be a bit erratic, but was trying to focus on the relevant bits of his observations.

The teams went into the match placed fourth and fifth, but this was more accurate for the away side. The Tricky Trees have made an excellent start to the season, but unlike the visitors, do not expect to be in the promotion picture in May. Forest set up to dominate possession, while United sat back and waited for an opportunity.

*Forest’s full-backs, on the other hand, were dreadful. The whole team was incredibly ponderous, but Traore and Tendayi Darikwa were particularly bad. The Trees would work the ball up the right from their own end, approach halfway and attempt to switch play to the left. This almost worked because United were very compact, as the right-winger (Ezgjan Alioski) had moved towards the middle. However, it didn’t work because Traore didn’t ever get his skates on, so by the time he’d got going he was closed down again.

*Kemar Roofe opened the scoring, winning a second ball and burying a header. Forest responded with a complete lack of urgency, returning again to passing the ball across the back four. Further ahead, the forwards were getting frustrated because of a lack of service. Countless times, Darikwa would receive the ball either standing still, or where his first step was back towards his own goal.

*Andreas Bouchalakis looks like one of those players you describe as “maverick” because his occasional moments of genius are spread out among all manner of poor play. He was in central midfield, but his passing was poor and he ducked out of a couple of tackles. He was withdrawn after 51 minutes, for Ben Brereton, who moved out on to the right wing.

*Brereton looked lively when he came on, but only got a few moments to show what he could do. A lot of the time, the defence/midfield were getting the ball to the likes of Brereton and Barrie McKay with a pass of 5 yards, having failed to dribble round an opponent. This meant they had to take on two defenders and often failed. It happened so frequently that it must have been a genuine tactic, but there was no realisation it wasn’t going to work.

*I singled out Ayling for United, but a word also for Pontus Jansson and Liam Cooper in central defence. As a pair they were immense and instrumental in restricting Forest to one shot on target (actually a tame header from Matt Mills). They posed a real problem for the home side – Forest seemingly didn’t want to put crosses in, because of Jansson’s reputation for fearless heading (even if you throw a brick at him), but when they played the ball to Daryl Murphy’s feet, he was crowded out immediately. Murphy was eventually replaced by Jason Cummings, a more willing runner, but by then it was too late, United were comfortable and sitting too deep for him to run in behind.

Not sure what to make of Forest this season, they got off to a good start.

I always had a soft spot for Forest but must admit to not having one this season. Interesting to know if other Bears want to see them struggling??

I always had a soft spot for Forest but must admit to not having one this season. Interesting to know if other Bears want to see them struggling??

Never cared for them one way or the other and still don't. I bear Warburton no ill will either. He gave us a good season to get us back in the SPL then it didn't work out anymore. We can't expect him to have the same feelings about the club we all do.

Never cared for them one way or the other and still don't. I bear Warburton no ill will either. He gave us a good season to get us back in the SPL then it didn't work out anymore. We can't expect him to have the same feelings about the club we all do.

Yes but there has to be some thought into the way he engineered his way out. Not to mention Weir who IS a rangers man and should have the same feelings we do.

Yes but there has to be some thought into the way he engineered his way out. Not to mention Weir who IS a rangers man and should have the same feelings we do.

The way I see it is he's no different from the description he once gave of his players. At the end of the day this is a job for them, the way make their living and that has to be their first consideration both for them and their families. It may also be taken into account that I feel the board had already decided they wanted a change and he would have known that so with this in mind in the end up it worked in our favour. He left with no buy out of his contract.

As you say we might have expected something different from Davie Weir but he appears to have hitched his wagon to Warburton and he too has to think of himself and his family first.

The thing is we do not know what came first. His fall out with King or his engineering a way out. Was Warburton promised the money Pedro got? I don't think it was all Warburton's fault, there has obviously something happened between him and the board. I liked Warburtons ideology on football but he just did not have the players to play his way in the top division.