Pedro, a man with dignity. Rangers v Dundee preview.

No prejudices on my part but I can't speak for you. If you think this tempo was good enough to beat one of the top teams then I am afraid you will be totally disappointed. Candeias and Moreless were excellent. Kranjcar should have been released he is just slowing down play. Pena looks as fit as me and he and Dorrans at the Dundee goal looked like spectators. Dundee pressed us for 10 minutes and we were all over the place. I am now dreading playing Celtic after performances like this. Thankfully it is different circumstances and different application(I hope)
Everyone has prejudices

How do you increase the tempo against a team playing with 10 behind the ball ? When their play breaks down there is little point in playing at high tempo because they already have all bodies behind the ball. You cannot simply play high tempo all the time because it isn't effective against certain teams.

In fact, I would say that Pedro got it absolutely spot on today - didn't need to play high tempo because the game was in front of Dundee all game. However, what DID happen was that Candeias was making crosses very early, which prevented Dundee from properly setting themselves up in the middle of the back 4.

Disagree on Kranjcar, still a worthwhile player to have when defences need unlocked. Pena has had less than an hour of competitive football and needs time to get match sharp. He doesn't look overweight at all, so your comment about not being fit is arrived at how ? When he came on he made some wayward passes, but he also looks to pass and move, and do so forwards.

Dundee didn't press us for 10 minutes at all pete, we simply came out very, very slowly at the start of the second half. It wasn't as a result of any pressing from Dundee that this happened, we simply weren't sharp and were wayward with passes.

"Dreading playing Cetic after performances like this" - away with ye pete. That will be the most comfortable 90 minutes we will have this season. The 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half aside we completely dominated the ball and created a few decent chances. Sure, Celtic may very well beat us in every game we play them this season - but THIS particular performance doesn't fill me with dread at all.

About the only thing I can agree with you on this post is that Candeias & Morelos were excellent.

I have no idea how you come about not being able to play high tempo because a team has ten men behind the ball. Eh! Maybe they have ten men behind the ball because of our slug like pace. I will add on the right hand side the tempo was better. Time and again: Alves to Wallace. Wallace to Kranjkar and first time back to Alves. Then the same but to miller and Miller back to Alves or the ball lost. The Dundee OAP club could get 10 men behind the ball.

For the rest it is your and my opinion which doesn't make mine wrong. I have yet to see Kranjkar breaking many defences down this season. He has just as often put our defence in problems by losing the ball and being too slow in tracking back.

Okay maybe they didn't press us for 10 minutes it may have been 9 minutes 48 seconds.:)

I have no idea how you come about not being able to play high tempo because a team has ten men behind the ball. Eh! Maybe they have ten men behind the ball because of our slug like pace. I will add on the right hand side the tempo was better. Time and again: Alves to Wallace. Wallace to Kranjkar and first time back to Alves. Then the same but to miller and Miller back to Alves or the ball lost. The Dundee OAP club could get 10 men behind the ball.

For the rest it is your and my opinion which doesn't make mine wrong. I have yet to see Kranjkar breaking many defences down this season. He has just as often put our defence in problems by losing the ball and being too slow in tracking back.

Okay maybe they didn't press us for 10 minutes it may have been 9 minutes 48 seconds.:)

Of course pete. In no way am I saying your opinion is wrong, I am just saying mine is right :roflmao:

Seriously though... everyone is entitled to their opinion of course - I just don't agree with you. I will give you an example of where high tempo doesn't work.... that guy you love to hate, Dick Advocaat, when coaching Zenit against us in the Europe League final was finding that his team's high tempo wasn't working against us playing 10 behind the ball - so he allowed his team to slow play down and, indeed, give possession away, in order to draw us out of defence. This then allowed them more space as we were having more of the ball.

It's all about opinions - but playing at high tempo isn't always the answer.

I do, however, agree with what you say above about the right hand side and the left. Clearly Candeias and Kranjcar are two very different players. Kranjcar, for me, if he is to play needs to play centrally - being stuck on the left side wont allow him to be the creative force he can be. You saw that when Windass came on. When Windass came on we actually got in behind them a few times, something which didn't happen when Kranjcar was on because he and Windass are very different players. On the other side, Candeias was a threat to Dundee all game and was MOTM by a considerable distance IMHO. He and Tav look like they will make a good partnership and it looks as if Tav trusts him already. Candeias really put in a shift today !

I think we're starting to look comfortably better than anything out there aside from maybe one and in addition to that I also feel we still haven't reached peak yet but we're getting there game by game.

They beat Accies 4-1 and it's just standard and easy but when we do the same to Dundee it's unimpressive? As I said, I fell we're getting better all the time and still not peaked.

Of course pete. In no way am I saying your opinion is wrong, I am just saying mine is right :roflmao:

Seriously though... everyone is entitled to their opinion of course - I just don't agree with you. I will give you an example of where high tempo doesn't work.... that guy you love to hate, Dick Advocaat, when coaching Zenit against us in the Europe League final was finding that his team's high tempo wasn't working against us playing 10 behind the ball - so he allowed his team to slow play down and, indeed, give possession away, in order to draw us out of defence. This then allowed them more space as we were having more of the ball.

It's all about opinions - but playing at high tempo isn't always the answer.

I do, however, agree with what you say above about the right hand side and the left. Clearly Candeias and Kranjcar are two very different players. Kranjcar, for me, if he is to play needs to play centrally - being stuck on the left side wont allow him to be the creative force he can be. You saw that when Windass came on. When Windass came on we actually got in behind them a few times, something which didn't happen when Kranjcar was on because he and Windass are very different players. On the other side, Candeias was a threat to Dundee all game and was MOTM by a considerable distance IMHO. He and Tav look like they will make a good partnership and it looks as if Tav trusts him already. Candeias really put in a shift today !

Which allowed them to play high tempo when they got the ball.:thup: The only way through a packed defence is high tempo mostly one touch passes. That is what makes Candeias so dangerous with his early crosses and that one touch flick today was sublime.

We played better against Hearts and Hivs but never got the results, then we weren't at our best today although we got a good result. First half wasn't brilliant as we toiled in front of their goal, second half i thought Dundee opened up more and came at us allowing room for our forwards to get in behind them, ,Morelos is showing some good form and he'll score many more if the service he's getting keeps up. For me Miller need not start, same with Kranjcar, give Pena his start and try a pairing of him and Morelos, i would like to see the new guy Nemane start to see what he's about. Overall today i enjoyed the goals but the play was slow at times, there is a good team here we just need to get it settled and playing at full throttle and we'll beat most of them and compete with the best of them.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Morelos has already hit almost half as many league goals as our top league scorer did all season last year and almost a third as many in just 5 games as the 100 squillion pound rated Dembele did all season.