New Manager requirements....

I think , regardless of who the next manager is going to be, the most important thing for the board to do is:

- identify the main issues affecting the team. Why are the not winning more games etc

- How best to progress the team, and get them challenging consistently for the title

Basically, identify the ROOT cause of any current issues.

Only then can they identify any potential manager. They can have meaningful discussions about the current fix & how they are going to improve/progress the team beyond 2nd place in the Scottish league.

It's all well & good if a potential candidate comes in and talks a good game - I could do that - but without knowing specifically what areas MUST be bettered, how can they pick the right person for the job.

What do folks on hear view as the main root causes for our current issues & how best to move the team forward???

IMHO, man-management has to be key.

Both Warburton and Pedro seemed to struggle with that and it was reflected on and off the pitch. A lack of belief/motivation was apparent on the pitch and in-fighting supposedly rife off it.

The new manager has to have the respect of the players and maintain that via his work with them.

Both Warburton and Pedro seemed to struggle with that and it was reflected on and off the pitch. A lack of belief/motivation was apparent on the pitch and in-fighting supposedly rife off it.

The new manager has to have the respect of the players and maintain that via his work with them.

Man management is a tricky one though....some coaches have none & are not interested in player whinges, yet still get results.....others end up tying themselves in knots trying to please everyone, but end up pleasing no-one. I would say it's up to the board to decide what "style" is best for the Club & what fits best with the Club ethos.

A good manager is one who can look at his squad then come to see who needs an arm round the shoulder , who needs coaching , who needs a kick up the arse the who needs booted out the door , so nothing ventured nothing gained leave Murty to the end of the season I think we may be pleasantly surprised .

I understand we have to get the right man in, and we cannot afford another Pedro if we are to get back on top before their tainted attempt at 10IAR, but is this really such a time-consuming task?

West Ham sacked Bilic on Monday, and had their new manager unveiled on Wednesday.

So, are either we far too slow and cumbersome to make a decision, or are clubs like West Ham, who cannot afford to get relegated and therefore need to appoint the right man for them just as much as we do, much more slick and professional than us in this process?

Or are we (and perhaps Everton who are taking their time too) doing it the right way and West Ham are just being lazy/ unprofessional by appointing their man so quickly?

I haven't done any scientific research in this, so this is just opinion, but it seems to me that most clubs that lose their manager (either sacked, resigned or headhunted) have a new guy appointed within about a week. Usually if there is an interim manager it is for one game, two at most if a midweek fixture is included.

At all times, in my opinion, every professionally run club , and especially those with a DOF, should have a number of candidates on their list, some will be available and some perhaps not, and if a managerial change has to happen, they are in a good place to make the changeover a quick and smooth one. Now Pedro's coat has been on a shoogly peg for a considerable amount of time, which ranges from last April after our worst ever home defeat to them, through June in Lux, to another lacklustre home OF defeat, and finally the LCSF, which was now 18 days ago, and we are now fully two weeks since his official departure. This didnt come as a shock to Rangers fans, so why are our board seemingly so unprepared?

Sack the manager, invite applications over the following 2/3 days, form a shortlist for interview over the next 2/3 days, and get the new guy in asap.

Indications are now that there will be no appointment this week, and Murty is looking like still being in charge for the Accies game which will be 4 weeks after the Motherwell game which we are told is when the board decided enough was enough.

Given that it took 6 weeks to appoint Pedro (even though insiders knew it was a done deal even before MW had left) how long should we expect our board to take to get their man in this time without it looking totally incompetent?

Ultimately, if they get the right guy nobody will care how long it took as long as Murty can keep the team winning in the meantime, but surely we are allowed to be concerned at the time being taken, for the second time this year, in making this crucial appointment?

A major reason we're not winning more games is we're leaking too many goals. Fix that and you're looking at a whole different landscape. The yahoos are seen as handing out regular thrashings yet they have scored only 2 more than we have. The difference is we have conceded more than twice as many as they have.

Just a couple of games that could easily have gone another way would have put us right up there with them. We should have beaten hubz at Ibrox though I can't blame that on the team. It was a classic example of robbery by referee. While the 2-2 draw with Partick came down to losing sloppy goals. That's 5 dropped points which could have been avoided with better defending and would have put us just 1 behind them.

We're not so far away, a couple of players and some tinkering can change things. I just don't know if McInnes is the man to do it. When we win we generally win comfortably. I don't know if that would continue with someone like McInnes or if we would become a sheep replica grinding out dull narrow wins.

Take the two sheep wins in October for example. Hubz 0 sheep 1 away and sheep 2 Ross County 1 at home. Do we really want that to be us?

Edited by JFK-1

As much as I'm pained to say this, I think fitness has to be a factor too. You always get moans when teams are not playing well that they're lacking a bit in terms of fitness. Sometimes this is the case, and at other times I'm sceptical.

However, far too often in the last 2 seasons particularly, we've seen guys coming into the team who are searching for fitness. They end up being passengers for long spells which undermines confidence in their ability due to the inevitable lack of form. Thats not to say that the whole squad is lacking fitness, but it does make me wonder why players that are below par fitness-wise are able to get starts when patently they're not ready. That suggests to me that the gulf between the rest of the squad that is supposedly match-sharp, isn't as wide as it should be.

^This^

I think we can see the difference having good man management skills and the respect of the squad can make just from the last 2 games... Add to that the experience that Murty perhaps doesn't have and we could still see this season being a big step back to the top.