Anybody familiar with this twitter account?

https://twitter.com/TheSPFLRadar

I've noticed it a few times now but never really looked in any detail.

I saw this post that surprised me though.

His team of the season so far includes Tavernier, Candeias and Morelos.

I was really surprised to see Tavernier included. I'm always criticising him.

What do you all think? Is his analysis any good or just a load of rubbish?

His analysis is very professionally done but a lot of mumbo jumbo nonsense at the same time!

If you like that kind of thing, the FIFA game-playing nonsense, then you will really enjoy his stuff. If you prefer to judge players by what they do as you see it live at the games, you probably wont agree with much of what this comes up with.

Marmite!

It's your 'Moneyball' effect on football, innit. That works for baseball and with cricket too but I'm not sure it works as well with football, they're very different sports. I could be convinced Candeias is a more effective player than he sometimes looks, but anyone who watches Tav knows he goes to sleep at crosses when at the back post, no amount of pass completion/final third assists or whatever can measure that rather large defensive frailty he has.

He's a balanced observer on the Scottish game.

I've linked to his radar's a few times on here. Tavernier's there because he contributes the most of any other full-back in the stats that he has used -- I think he's one of the best assist-ers (?) in the league. Clearly these stats don't include everything, but they provide a nice overview of a player's contribution.

I'd agree it's marmite: if you're open-minded and acknowledge the benefits stats can and do provide, and their limitations, then you'll like it; in contrast, if you're a dinosaur that is too blinded to acknowledge the limitations of one's own views, changes in the game and can't understand even the simplest technical terms, then you'll not like it -- but that's mostly through ignorance and a lack of understanding IMO. :D

Edited by Rousseau

It's your 'Moneyball' effect on football, innit. That works for baseball and with cricket too but I'm not sure it works as well with football, they're very different sports. I could be convinced Candeias is a more effective player than he sometimes looks, but anyone who watches Tav knows he goes to sleep at crosses when at the back post, no amount of pass completion/final third assists or whatever can measure that rather large defensive frailty he has.

I agree, but with Tavernier the stats used illustrate the offensive contribution mostly, which we can't deny he's been very good going forward, and this radar highlights that. There is a limit to the number of defensive stats that can be measured, unfortunately. We must be aware of that context when looking at defenders especially; stats don't claim to be the be-all and end-all, merely a new way of looking at the game that goes beyond the limitations of our eyes.

I think football is over-analysed these days. Stats are useful for managers and coaches but they bore me. But I'm probably just a dinosaur.

If you can be enlightened enough to concede there are benefits, then I wouldn't say you are a dinosaur. Whether they bore you or not is irrelevant.

I think football is over-analysed these days. Stats are useful for managers and coaches but they bore me. But I'm probably just a dinosaur.

That's the American influence....they have stats for EVERYTHING!!!

It can be very useful, but as is always the case, stats can be "manipulated" to show a certain view point ie is a player playing well or not - some figures will say "yes, had an outstanding game", others will say "no, terrible game".