Candeias interview in Portuguese paper

Rangers midfielder Daniel Candeias has explained why he thinks Pedro Caixinha was sacked as the club’s manager, and how the Portuguese coach reacted when the axe fell.

Caixinha was given his marching orders at Ibrox last month, after lasting less than nine months and 30 league games in the Scottish Premiership.

Candeias was one of his recruits during the transfer window last summer, and the 29-year-old has been one of Rangers’ more successful acquisitions so far.

“As far as I can tell, there is still no song for me, but when I do something in the games, they move a lot. It’s always good to feel this support.

During the international break, Candeias has been speaking to the Portuguese media about his spell in Glasgow, how he is being treated by supporters, and why he thinks an embarrassing Europa League elimination played a big part in Caixinha’s dismissal.

Speaking via Portuguese newspaper Record, via Sport Witness, he said: “Everything has gone very well.

“I adapted easily even for having a Portuguese manager at the start of the season and I played a lot so far.

“The atmosphere in the games is fantastic, the stadiums are always full and the motivation is not lacking. I’m happy at Rangers.

“Feedback is good. The people like me and I feel cherished by our fans in every game.

“As far as I can tell, there is still no song for me, but when I do something in the games, they move a lot. It’s always good to feel this support.

“The (Europe) elimination marked the season for Caixinha. Left him at work in a certain way, conditioned. The club wanted to play in Europe and it wasn’t possible.

“But the manager always gave everything for the club and protected the group.

“It’s already known that in football, a whole squad is never dismissed and the coach is the one who ends up paying.

“It was in that (Motherwell) game that everything changed. We were clearly the best team, but there were strange things in that game. For example, they broke the nose of Fábio Cardoso and the opponent didn’t even get a yellow. It was difficult to manage.”

And on the day Caixinha was given his marching orders, Caixnha added: “No. He didn’t say anything. But I also believe that everything went very quickly.

“We now have to focus on the future and continue the work so that we can smile at the end.”

Edited by BEARGER

I saw this on Twitter but couldn't access it -- ads! -- so thanks for posting.

I like Candeias: works really hard, great crosser, sets-up most of our goals. Good signing.

He needs a song -- if Garner got one... ?

Edited by Rousseau

Well, second hand translations will usually have a few errors and written stuff won't carry any tongue-in-cheek feelings like - possibly - the thing about no song about him. Rest assured, we'll have one now within weeks.

That said, a pretty straight forward interview. It is hardly likely that we would have seen him without Caixinha and Candeias handled himself and the description about what happened to Pedro in that interview (if correctly translated) quite well. If he goes on performing at his current level, he has still a bright future ahead of him at this club. There is no doubt that we appreciate his application, talent and 100%-every-match attitude.

Edited by der Berliner

Candelas is exactly the sort of player we should be signing. Maybe not world class, but a stand out in the SPFL. The type of player Aberdeen & Hibs could never afford. Reminds me a bit of Pieter Huistra, but on the other side. Him & Tavernier are the best right wing partnership in the league. That’s probably the only position where we are currently better than any other team, however his signing was a step in the right direction by Caixinha.

Candelas is exactly the sort of player we should be signing. Maybe not world class, but a stand out in the SPFL. The type of player Aberdeen & Hibs could never afford. Reminds me a bit of Pieter Huistra, but on the other side. Him & Tavernier are the best right wing partnership in the league. That’s probably the only position where we are currently better than any other team, however his signing was a step in the right direction by Caixinha.

Ideally, we now need to replicate that on the left side.

I think one thing that appears to separate Candeias from other wingers is that he's pretty consistent. If we could get someone on the other side with Candeias' crossing ability, it would give us a double threat.

One of my favourite songs is Daniel by Bat for lashes

Here are the words of the 1st verse

Daniel when I first saw you

I knew that you had a flame in your heart

And under our blue skies

Marble movie skies

I found a home in your eyes

We'll never be apart

It wont catch on as its a bit slow but the words kinda fit, just change movie to staircase.

Edited by robstewart79

One of my favourite songs is Daniel by Bat for lashes

Here are the words of the 1st verse

Daniel when I first saw you

I knew that you had a flame in your heart

And under our blue skies

Marble movie skies

I found a home in your eyes

We'll never be apart

It wont catch on as its a bit slow but the words kinda fit, just change movie to staircase.

I found a home in your eyes? Are we encouraging him to score or asking him on a date?