Ruth Gilfillan was booted down three ranks over Rangers 'banter' claim

There is no doubt that since the advent of monotheism many wars, serious wars have been fought because of or in the name of religion. While it not yet started with Echnaton and his Aton cult, the roots were laid by him discriminating other religions and cults to the point of rebellion once "he sailed to Orion". The Jews were similarly dogmatic, but at least got to some sort of agreement with the polytheistic Romans, bar some hardliners who were quickly dispatched*. The main driving force though became the Christians, because of their quickly developing utter intolerance to any but their own faith. In a nigh complete turnaround to their all-openess early on, from the 300s CE onwards every other religion was discriminated and it believers vilified, hunted down and slain. Once that was accomplished, they turned on their own, as any non-mainstream (some may say Papal) Christian sects and cults were persecuted like their was no tomorrow, prime example being the Albigensians in early-medieval France. Crusading knights went on to pacify and convert the pagans (Baltic region) or slaughter the Moslems in the Near East. All in the name of their faith, but more often than not with a politic interest in tow. Irish Catholicism was chased away by the Roman version, later on we enter the Protestants and various conflicts fought out over religion, such as the Thirty-Years War or all that surrounded Cromwell. That conflict brews on till today in Ireland. Elsewhere, radical Moslems went the same route as the crusaders did in the Middle Ages, be it the Taliban in the Far East, Hamas et al in Lebanon, Al-Kaida & Boko Haram (Sp?) all over the place and the IS in Syria and Iraq. Death wreaked all over the place in the name of a monotheistic belief. I'm not saying that it is the root of all evils, but over the last 1.500 years, it has become and now forms a major branch of that root. And that is no condemnation of either faith as such, BTW. Just how it has been violated and is being used by human beings.

*Do note that while the Romans went in hard on local cults/sects/rebels in ancient Judea, the faith as such was not the target. AFAIK, at the time when the temple in Jerusalem was flattened by the Romans due to continuous uprisings by the local Jews, the governor of Egypt in nearby Alexandria was a Jew too.

Edited by der Berliner

Did I really "take you to task"? I guess I must have done if you've been waiting all this time for an opportunity to point it out ? Apologies if I seem callous but I really don't care.

Aye, I've been the vulture waiting on the branch, waiting to pounce!

Just remember it and it registered when you generalized against Muslims. Not asking you to care at all.

So how many of the last 10 Lord Provosts have been Protestant?

Interesting article by VB first ..

Same City Council, Same Old Story

Written by: General Schomberg

Thursday, 9th January 2014

"Celtic, though, as a football institution, quite rightly remains a symbol of Catholicism. The Celtic strip, as famed and proudly known around the world as it is, still cannot be divorced from one of its cultural parents, which is the Catholic faith." - Graham Spiers

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/same-city-council-same-old-story.html

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/how-many-roman-catholic-lord-provosts-of-glasgow-have-there-been-since-a-protestant-held-the-post-and-in-what-year-was-that/3333772

After Sir Donald Liddell's term, there were 15 Lord Provosts who succeeded him, all members of the Scottish Labour Party (Catholics are among Labour's strongest supporters).

Glasgow had its first Catholic Lord Provost in 1938 by the name of Sir Patrick Joseph Dollan. Since the 1940s, many of Glasgow's Lord Provosts have been Catholic Labour Party councillors. Between 1975 and 2003, 10 Lord and Lady Provosts were elected. All of them were Roman Catholics.

Glasgow.gov.uk have listed the names of Provosts of Glasgow from the medieval time, to the appointment of Sir Patrick Joseph Dollan in 1938, and up to the latest election of Sadie Docherty in 2012. See the list here.

https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=16556

1952-1955 Thomas A Kerr

1955-1958 Andrew Hood

1958-1960 Sir Myer Galpern

1960-1963 Dame Jean Roberts

1963-1965 Sir Peter Meldrum

1965-1969 John Johnston

1969-1972 Sir Donald R Liddle - Prot.

1972 (May/July) John Mains - RC

1972-1975 Sir William Gray - RC

1975-1977 Peter T McCann - RC

1977-1980 David Hodge - RC

1980-1984 Michael Kelly - RC

1984-1988 Robert Gray - RC

1988-1992 Susan Baird - RC

1992-1994 Robert Innes - RC

1994-1995 James Shields - RC

1995-1996 Tommy Dingwall (10.2.95 - 31.3.96) - RC

1996-1999 Pat Lally - RC

1999-2003 Alex Mosson - RC

2003-2007 Liz Cameron - A Jew who attended RC Notre Dame school. Safe bet.

2007 - 2012 Robert Winter - Supposedly a protestant but him and his four sons went to Seville to see the final with the team they loved. Safe bet.

2012 - 2017 Sadie Docherty - RC

2017 Eva Bolander

Interesting article by VB first ..

Same City Council, Same Old Story

Written by: General Schomberg

Thursday, 9th January 2014

"Celtic, though, as a football institution, quite rightly remains a symbol of Catholicism. The Celtic strip, as famed and proudly known around the world as it is, still cannot be divorced from one of its cultural parents, which is the Catholic faith." - Graham Spiers

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/same-city-council-same-old-story.html

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/how-many-roman-catholic-lord-provosts-of-glasgow-have-there-been-since-a-protestant-held-the-post-and-in-what-year-was-that/3333772

After Sir Donald Liddell's term, there were 15 Lord Provosts who succeeded him, all members of the Scottish Labour Party (Catholics are among Labour's strongest supporters).

Glasgow had its first Catholic Lord Provost in 1938 by the name of Sir Patrick Joseph Dollan. Since the 1940s, many of Glasgow's Lord Provosts have been Catholic Labour Party councillors. Between 1975 and 2003, 10 Lord and Lady Provosts were elected. All of them were Roman Catholics.

Glasgow.gov.uk have listed the names of Provosts of Glasgow from the medieval time, to the appointment of Sir Patrick Joseph Dollan in 1938, and up to the latest election of Sadie Docherty in 2012. See the list here.

https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=16556

1952-1955 Thomas A Kerr

1955-1958 Andrew Hood

1958-1960 Sir Myer Galpern

1960-1963 Dame Jean Roberts

1963-1965 Sir Peter Meldrum

1965-1969 John Johnston

1969-1972 Sir Donald R Liddle - Prot.

1972 (May/July) John Mains - RC

1972-1975 Sir William Gray - RC

1975-1977 Peter T McCann - RC

1977-1980 David Hodge - RC

1980-1984 Michael Kelly - RC

1984-1988 Robert Gray - RC

1988-1992 Susan Baird - RC

1992-1994 Robert Innes - RC

1994-1995 James Shields - RC

1995-1996 Tommy Dingwall (10.2.95 - 31.3.96) - RC

1996-1999 Pat Lally - RC

1999-2003 Alex Mosson - RC

2003-2007 Liz Cameron - A Jew who attended RC Notre Dame school. Safe bet.

2007 - 2012 Robert Winter - Supposedly a protestant but him and his four sons went to Seville to see the final with the team they loved. Safe bet.

2012 - 2017 Sadie Docherty - RC

2017 Eva Bolander

Looking at that incredible of 13 RCs in a row.

Going by Scottish census info, today, around 1/3 of Scots identify as Protestant - I am assuming that Glasgow confirms, or roughly conforms to this. So there is a 66% chance of the Provost being a non-Protestant (in reality that is lower as it is generally harder for those of a smaller religious minority to gain office. So on one occasion, you can understand that it is likely that there will be a non-Protestant as Lord Provost. But 13 in a row? The chances of that are 0.45% or under 1 in 200.

Now that is the chance that it is a non-Protestant (ignoring the spurious information regarding the backgrounds of 2003-2012 - that information can’t be confirmed but it does seem true to form that they will be gracing Celtic Park’s hospitality suite.

What is even more interesting is looking at the chance of 13 in a row being Catholic. On today’s information, 15% of Scots identify as Catholic and I would assume that this number was actually smaller on the past so this calculation is conservative. Again, assuming Glasgow is roughly similar demographic to Scotland, this results in a chance of 0.000000002%, or 1 in billions.

So is that just a very long shot coincidence? I think it is very strange that this is never mentioned.

Looking at that incredible of 13 RCs in a row.

Going by Scottish census info, today, around 1/3 of Scots identify as Protestant - I am assuming that Glasgow confirms, or roughly conforms to this. So there is a 66% chance of the Provost being a non-Protestant (in reality that is lower as it is generally harder for those of a smaller religious minority to gain office. So on one occasion, you can understand that it is likely that there will be a non-Protestant as Lord Provost. But 13 in a row? The chances of that are 0.45% or under 1 in 200.

Now that is the chance that it is a non-Protestant (ignoring the spurious information regarding the backgrounds of 2003-2012 - that information can’t be confirmed but it does seem true to form that they will be gracing Celtic Park’s hospitality suite.

What is even more interesting is looking at the chance of 13 in a row being Catholic. On today’s information, 15% of Scots identify as Catholic and I would assume that this number was actually smaller on the past so this calculation is conservative. Again, assuming Glasgow is roughly similar demographic to Scotland, this results in a chance of 0.000000002%, or 1 in billions.

So is that just a very long shot coincidence? I think it is very strange that this is never mentioned.

Cameron was not a RC. Also the present LP is she an RC? The RC population of Glasgow is far higher than 15% more likely nearer 30%.

Cameron was not a RC. Also the present LP is she an RC? The RC population of Glasgow is far higher than 15% more likely nearer 30%.

Ok, if I take the run to 12 then, and change 15% to 30%, the results are as follows:

Chance if there not being a Protestant (if you are saying there are more Catholics than quoted, I’ll have to reduce the Protestant quote from 35% to say 30% - I’m not sure about this as there is always the great chat about Catholics being the minority - chance increases to 1.4% or a 1 in 70 chance.

Chance of their being 12 Catholic Lord Provosts in a row - 0.00005% or a 1 in 1.8 million chance.

Do you think those odds are more credible to be a quirk in statistics?...

Edited by StuGers