[FT] Hibernian 1 - 2 Rangers (Windass 42; Morelos 45)

[tweet]940850563566141440[/tweet]

Being brought up in Edinburgh meant the first places I saw Rangers were at Tynecastle and Easter Road. The predominate result seemed to be 1-1 but on the plus side, I saw Parlane score four goals against Hearts in '74 and Colin Stein score the goal that won us the League Championship the following year. Even the negative (a Hibs win) had a plus, seeing George Best play.

There was the embarrassing moments, when still very wee, my Dad couldn't make it one time and my Mother took me to the Dunbar End of Easter Road, where there were loads of guys pissing at the side of the path and me hoping mother wouldn't take it badly !! One early season encounter had the unusual but topical song of 'Two Popes in a row' ....and an end of season match that was surreal with next to empty terracing. I think this was down to there having been two cup final replays before Rangers had lifted the trophy against Hibs or/and we had lost the league decider against Celtic.

It was usually a very tough game in the capital and that'll be no different this Wednesday against Hibs. We've been generally inconsistent ever since returning to the top tier and have put four wins together only once during those 55 games (in December 2016), we can repeat that with a win on Wednesday but it's a big ask for a team that tends to blow hot and cold.

On the bright side, our away record is excellent and the three games Hibs have lost in the league have all been at Easter Road (Hamilton, Aberdeen and St Johnstone). They've also a day less to recover after a tough fixture on Sunday and, like us, might have some injury doubts.

The negative is that we have a lack of decent battling midfielders from which to choose, more especially if McCrorie is unavailable. The midfield is where Lennon will try and win the battle to dominate the game. Another is the recent record between the teams, which has seen three straight defeats, strangely, all by the odd goal in five.

Going back further, the Head to Head is also negative:

• Since the two teams coincided in the 2014/15 Championship, we've played them 14 times.
  • In the 11 league fixtures (including play-offs) we've only won four matches and lost seven (only one win at Easter Road and no draws at all).
  • We also lost the Scottish Cup Final but beat them twice in the Challenge Cup.
  • Lennon has only been in charge of Hibs for one of those matches.

For those who consider a wager on the goals scored, the last seven fixtures between the teams have produced 33 goals, an average of 4.7 might be an interesting statistic, especially when you think about how the two teams are likely to set-up and play.

As for tactics and formations, I'll leave that to you and only ask that the attitude and determination is there from the very first minute. If it is, then we give ourselves a chance, otherwise it'll be a long night with likely nothing to show for it. It should be a relatively open 90 minutes which may work in our favour, but only if we defend well - as we did in the recent wins over Aberdeen.

Personnel are being whittled down to the point that there are very few alternative options in the middle of the park, it being particularly difficult to put together players who are equipped for a physical battle. A centre half (e.g. Wilson) may have to move forward (as McCrorie previously did). Two of our high earners perhaps aren't suited for this game and only highlight two bad summer transfer windows. As a midfielder, Pena would be bypassed and won't be up for a battle, whilst Kranjcar hasn't the legs and again, would be bypassed.

On the positive side, Morelos is back, should start and his goal on Saturday is a real positive going into this match. As much as Pena won't do any hard yards, Morelos is a tireless team player with an end product. As well as the Columbian, Miller and Windass will both probably start.

In the middle, you've got Holt, McCrorie ('doubtful'), Candeias, Barjonas and not a lot else to consider for a start and it's unlikely much will change at the back.

In conclusion, this is a real test of mettle for the players and the interim manager. Come back along the M8 with three points and I'd start to consider that we may have turned the first corner...but if we are empty-handed, then it's pretty much as we were.

Let's hope it's the former.

Many thanks for that Buster... :thup:

Depending on the fitness of McCrorie, I reckon we'll see a more orthodox midfield 4/5 tonight. The diamond worked very well for large periods of the game against Aberdeen but was less effective against Ross County given Candeias didn't seem to know how to play within that formation.

It wasn't until we went back to the 4-4-1-1 we've used for much of this season that we were able to utilise him better. Unfortunately, the offset of that was Windass wasn't quite as effective and we were far too eager to go down the right side - making us predictable and easy to defend against.

If McCrorie does make it, then Barjonas may play on the right side of the diamond instead of Candeias. That may help us control the midfield but it would also mean the manager having to drop Miller in attack as surely both Morelos and Windass have to start? All in all, this makes a 4-4-1-1 more likely as with that formation we can fit Candeias, Morelos, Miller and Windass in the team whilst maintaining a fairly solid look in the centre.

rfc_hibs_b.jpg

rfc_hibs_b.jpg

Without McCrorie that team looks pretty much as good as it gets.

It would be a good test for Barjonas and an indication as to where he is as a player.

----------------

Looked back further and the last league draw between the sides was more than 8 years ago in October 2009. Four players who played in that match are likely to start tonight (if fit), Miller, Whittaker, Stevenson and Stokes.

Edited by buster.

Nice wee write-up. I'm pretty tense and nervous about tonight's game.

I'm in Edinburgh but don't have Sky, so will have to go out and find a pub to watch it in....trying to avoid Hibs fans is adding the the tension.

'Mon The Rangers!

We left gaping holes on the left flank and TLB will have spotted that. Jack and McCrorie matched that in games before, and Holt will not be able to chase everyone alone. So it is important that we pack the MF but leave us some options to hit them on the break. Thus, Candeias and Windass are a given, as is Morelos. Miller will play, no matter what. Perhaps in a more withdrawn, central role, while Windass will help out John a bit more. Unless Murty decides to give Hodson the right-back slot and moves Tav into right-sided DM - to add some physical presence and pace into that area - we are left with a bit of a conundrum. At times, people rise to the challenge and both Bates and McCrorie have done so. Whether Barjonas is ready to be thrown in at the deep end against the Hibs hammer-throwers is anyone's guess. Pena is a tough lad, but probably too attack-minded and prone to the odd rash tackle. And we won't want to hand the ref (who hopefully is strong today) another option to Jack when it comes to flopping cards about. Then there is Kranjcar, of whom the myth has seemed to spread that he can't tackle and is as slow as it gets. Neither really holds true, unless you want to see Niko compete with Holt, Candeias or Tav. Which never has been and never will be his job. But he can sure put a tackle in, has a great positional sense and can actually pass a ball to our players with perfection. AND ... he shoots from the distance, which we rarely do. So putting Niko into the central slot in midfield to distribute the balls (instead of relying on our CHs to lump the ball forward) might not be too unwise a thing to do. And then there's the option that Wallace may indeed return to the field, with John moving into left midfield ... but can also double up in defence. We shall see ...

I think the first goal will be important. If Hibs get it, their tales will be up and we'll be under pressure. Lennon will have them fired up, that's for sure, so totally agree that we really need to match them up physically.

Over 2.5 goals has been added to my coupon!

I would like to see the Board issue a statement today, passing comment on expected Referee performance - NOT slagging them off or questioning their abilities, but simply being positive about their expected performance. Let the Ref know in an indirect manner that he is being watched closely. Worded in such a way that the ultimate message is clear, but doesn't open us to potential action from SPFL/SFA....

As for McCrorie's replacement, could they not stick someone like Bates in??? RMcC was always a CB until getting slotted in, so maybe Bates could do the same. However, I think it will probably be Barjonnas that will start, which I've no probs with - he has shown up well whenever he's played.

I would like to see the Board issue a statement today, passing comment on expected Referee performance - NOT slagging them off or questioning their abilities, but simply being positive about their expected performance. Let the Ref know in an indirect manner that he is being watched closely. Worded in such a way that the ultimate message is clear, but doesn't open us to potential action from SPFL/SFA....

As for McCrorie's replacement, could they not stick someone like Bates in??? RMcC was always a CB until getting slotted in, so maybe Bates could do the same. However, I think it will probably be Barjonnas that will start, which I've no probs with - he has shown up well whenever he's played.

McCrorie is a far far better footballer. Bates is an out and out defender and his distribution is poor. Barjonas is promising so would rather he is given the opportunity rather than someone out of position.

Bates is a different style of player compared to McCrorie. The latter is quick, physical, mobile and pretty good on the ball. The latter is decent in the air and fairly quick but doesn't have the other characteristics that could see him moved into midfield.

I'm confident enough with Barjonas who did well towards the end of last season.

Another option would be Cardoso in DM, who is quick and has a good distribution. If we go three at the back and have Tav and John, the defence looks to be packed enough though, with Holt in front of them. IMHO, we should not try to pass them out of play tonight, but soak up their pressure and hit them on the counter, as their defence ain't that great.