Mark Allen on his role ar Rangers

We have had sports science people at our club for a while but I heard from a couple of players that they were not as fit under the Pedro fitness training than at other times. Clearly the coaches implementing the training and fitness have a much bigger role than the scientists, and the end result of how fit the players are comes more from the trainers / coaches than the analysts. Therefore good training implementations, routines, fitness and gym work are all far more important. There is a role for the analysis that comes from sports science, but it's a much less important role than a lot like to make out.

Because everyone else is using it. If you don't move with the times, you get left behind.

I really don't watch them enough to comment on their fitness. I do know "Delilah" was known for his fitness; it's unfortunate -- or fortunate! -- that he was tactically mince, in so many ways.

Remember how Brown and co were blowing out their rectums when we put them out of the cup,

Remember how Brown and co were blowing out their rectums when we put them out of the cup,

I don't think they were. There were spells where they were running about daft chasing the ball as we passed it around, but I wouldn't equate that with "blowing out their rectums". They were battering our goals for 120 minutes.

I am a great adversary of doing everything with a ball. No running round a track except a cooper test every so often and just to warm up at the beginning of the training with the normal stretching. I would also have a sprint coach come in for a training a week. I think many players could run a lot faster if they learned how to.

We have had sports science people at our club for a while but I heard from a couple of players that they were not as fit under the Pedro fitness training than at other times. Clearly the coaches implementing the training and fitness have a much bigger role than the scientists, and the end result of how fit the players are comes more from the trainers / coaches than the analysts. Therefore good training implementations, routines, fitness and gym work are all far more important. There is a role for the analysis that comes from sports science, but it's a much less important role than a lot like to make out.

That does suggest to me like we're not giving enough independence to our Sports Science department. The manager has to make the final decisions of course, and to use the data correctly, but a change in manager shouldn't be able able to decrease our fitness so significantly.

I disagree it's "less important [...] than a lot like to make out". For me, it just means that Caixinha was not using it correctly or efficiently. I'm not saying it's the most important thing, but it is very important. It's all about making better decisions.

This article describes the success that Clubs can achieve: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4544900/How-world-s-best-football-clubs-use-data.html

I am a great adversary of doing everything with a ball. No running round a track except a cooper test every so often and just to warm up at the beginning of the training with the normal stretching. I would also have a sprint coach come in for a training a week. I think many players could run a lot faster if they learned how to.

You mean "advocate"? :D

That's a very old, and very new idea when combined with Sports Science. Mourinho had great success with that at Chelsea -- John Terry spoke of how they seemed to do so much more work, because it felt like less than jogging around a track for half an hour! -- but we see even that is not enough as teams move forward, adapting new idea etc.; it's now a rather normal practice. Caixinha thought that way too; everything with the ball.

Jock Wallace got them fitter than all other teams. Our fitness has been questionable since that sport science crap begun. It should not be that they are told to rest, they should be so knackered they only want to rest.
Fitter than teams who ate steak and chips and thought it was good for them. Well done