Mark Allen on his role ar Rangers

So where is the funding going to come from to get all these players to take us to the next level?

I have no idea and I never said I knew the answer I just said that I believe that to be the only 2 who could possibly be with us at the next level. To do it we will probably need a rich investor or a very imaginative scouting team.

I have no idea and I never said I knew the answer I just said that I believe that to be the only 2 who could possibly be with us at the next level. To do it we will probably need a rich investor or a very imaginative scouting team.

I don't agree with your view on DJ. I think he is still a young player who could develop into a top class player for us. I also think Windass & Foderingham are also assets we have got as well as McCrorie

I do not share all the doom'n'gloom on here. We now have got young players whom we have developed & can sell on. Perhaps not as many as we'd like and not for as much in fees as we'd like but we are now slowly but surely moving in with the right direction.

And at long last we're beginning to see some sort of scouting system & youth development structure being put into place. Whether it's as successful as we need it to be remains to be seen.

Overall I think we are progressing but perhaps not as quickly as some would like

Let me explain what I mean by progress.

When the transfer window closes at the end of next month, I hope the likes of McCrorie, Morelos, Foderingham & Windass are still Rangers players. Young players we've developed who have the potential to move onto a bigger & better league than the SPFL. Unfortunately it wouldn't take massive transfer fees to get these players but it shows (to me anyway) we're heading in the right direction.

Of course we will need more than these players, I don't dispute that but hopefully we'll soon see an end to signing players in their 30's who are past their best.

When the transfer window closes at the end of next month, I hope the likes of McCrorie, Morelos, Foderingham & Windass are still Rangers players. Young players we've developed who have the potential to move onto a bigger & better league than the SPFL. Unfortunately it wouldn't take massive transfer fees to get these players but it shows (to me anyway) we're heading in the right direction.

Of course we will need more than these players, I don't dispute that but hopefully we'll soon see an end to signing players in their 30's who are past their best.

I agree with that and it is really virtually my view. if we want to climb the tree then we have to use money we can get for the players we have and need improved on. If the scouting system is working well then there must be a few Dembele's out there as well. We have to build our way to the top and not just throw cash everywhere.

A lot of sense here but two points I would make: firstly, we should have the infrastructure in place that losing any of our decent younger players isn't a big deal. I remember a while ago Sevilla being cited as the ideal example of a club who were always prepared to sell a decent player for large profit, but had the scouting infrastructure in place to readily place them. Secondly, we shouldn't be adverse to signing the odd player in their 30's. Claudio Caniggia for example, was well in his 30's when we signed him and he did a good turn for us. The Cannigia's of the world won't be back in a hurry, but there's still positive contributions to be gained from older players if they have sufficient skill. And given the league we play in, we're only going to get players of a certain quality when they're winding own in their careers.

A lot of sense here but two points I would make: firstly, we should have the infrastructure in place that losing any of our decent younger players isn't a big deal. I remember a while ago Sevilla being cited as the ideal example of a club who were always prepared to sell a decent player for large profit, but had the scouting infrastructure in place to readily place them. Secondly, we shouldn't be adverse to signing the odd player in their 30's. Claudio Caniggia for example, was well in his 30's when we signed him and he did a good turn for us. The Cannigia's of the world won't be back in a hurry, but there's still positive contributions to be gained from older players if they have sufficient skill. And given the league we play in, we're only going to get players of a certain quality when they're winding own in their careers.

I agree we can afford an older player but i think we have to also look at their fitness history and how long they have not been playing or playing at a low level. Kranjcar was an example that fitness for a player out of touch is too far down the retirement road. There is no way I would take a chance with Naismith he has had far too many injury problems. Scottish football is far too hard for glass legged players.

Im more with Pete on this when it comes to basic fitness, hard work is what gets you to a level. Where sports science may come in is using monitoriing methods to see if you can improve or have dropped a fitness level. Some players are going to be fitter thn others, thats just humans for you taking age and lung capacity into it.

In the recent el classico , messi walked or jogged for 93%of the game , our understanding of fitness and what specific positions require is squewed.

I used to be really friendly with John Spencer , when Gullit arrived at Chelsea the first thing he did was take John aside and tell him to stop running around like a mad man , he was to train for 5 yards sprints at the most , and this was 20 years ago.

Football in Scotland is prehistoric , we demand players give 100% but the majority have no understanding of how the modern game is played , its no wonder we are continually humiliated in europe .

In the recent el classico , messi walked or jogged for 93%of the game , our understanding of fitness and what specific positions require is squewed.

I used to be really friendly with John Spencer , when Gullit arrived at Chelsea the first thing he did was take John aside and tell him to stop running around like a mad man , he was to train for 5 yards sprints at the most , and this was 20 years ago.

Football in Scotland is prehistoric , we demand players give 100% but the majority have no understanding of how the modern game is played , its no wonder we are continually humiliated in europe .

Watch Messi in ANY game and he is the exact same. He is EXPECTED to conserve energy. He looks lazy but that's what Barca want. He just wanders around the pitch finding space. However, he will spring if he sees he can prevent danger from the opponent. It's not being lazy it's being smart. You are, of course, spot on.

Last night Morelos did a power of work.... but much of it was in areas that belied his position in the team. Running around means nothing if there is no end product !!