Mark Allen on his role ar Rangers

In the recent el classico , messi walked or jogged for 93%of the game , our understanding of fitness and what specific positions require is squewed.

I used to be really friendly with John Spencer , when Gullit arrived at Chelsea the first thing he did was take John aside and tell him to stop running around like a mad man , he was to train for 5 yards sprints at the most , and this was 20 years ago.

Football in Scotland is prehistoric , we demand players give 100% but the majority have no understanding of how the modern game is played , its no wonder we are continually humiliated in europe .

i get what you mean but I don't think we should be using Ruud Guitts management skills as a benchmark.

I wasnt , it was more the thought process of the top players ,i also remember MH talking about being waljed through the runs he was expected to make for Ac Milan , we are miles behind european players and its not just about ability , they are miles ahead about us with their movement also .

i get what you mean but I don't think we should be using Ruud Guitts management skills as a benchmark.

not just that, Messi turns to lightning at any point and looks after himself with the right diet, same as Ryan Giggs who too up yogo in his 30s. Compare that to Kris Boyd.

In the recent el classico , messi walked or jogged for 93%of the game , our understanding of fitness and what specific positions require is squewed.

I used to be really friendly with John Spencer , when Gullit arrived at Chelsea the first thing he did was take John aside and tell him to stop running around like a mad man , he was to train for 5 yards sprints at the most , and this was 20 years ago.

Football in Scotland is prehistoric , we demand players give 100% but the majority have no understanding of how the modern game is played , its no wonder we are continually humiliated in europe .

It's an interesting point you make. When Chris Waddle signed for Marseille in 1989, one of the biggest transfer fees in history at the time, he spoke about how what was expected of him was so different from what Spurs and Newcastle had demanded. He was told not to track back or chase down defenders. He was to wait by the half way line and be ready to explode into life when Marseille broke. Marseille won the league 3 times and reached the European Cup Final (losing to the best side I've ever seen, Red Star). So I suppose they knew what they were doing.

Any player not willing to run all the time, to track back and tackle will get a hard time from the Rangers support, actually pretty much every Scottish side's support. We value endeavour over ability.

I also think there is a mental laziness and a difference between lazy and unfit. Some players can turn it on in the odd game here. I think thats a bigger crime. Nothing worse than a "1 good game out of 6 player". If a player has an off day and its 5 out of 6 good games fans will accept that.

I also dont disagree with the European style of strikers and wingers like Waddle not tracking back (depending on the game and score), there is much to benefit from leaving players high up and reserving their oxygen. But the point being so long as when that ball comes to that area of the pitch that player is as mobile as he can be.

And to back some of what you say up.... Barca beat Real 3-0.... Messi's stats were....

83.1% of the time.... walking

10.8% jogging

4.95% running

1.15% sprinting

It's not how far you run, or how much you run... it's how effective you run and what you do with it !!

And to back some of what you say up.... Barca beat Real 3-0.... Messi's stats were....

10.8% jogging

4.95% running

1.15% sprinting

It's not how far you run, or how much you run... it's how effective you run and what you do with it !!

Lazy bassa, would never get a game for us!

10.8% jogging

4.95% running

1.15% sprinting

Tennis players stats would be interesting also, they have short bursts of high impact plus only move around at say 50% to 75% on average (pure guess) but for 3 hours and in tournaments every second day. These guys are super fit.