[FT] Celtic 0 - 0 Rangers

Murty seems to have negative tactics sorted out no problem. That is trips to Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and celtic, plus Dolly at home in this spell as temp manager and got 13 points out of 15. His problem is in the "easy" games where we have 0 out of 12 from Dundee, Hamilton, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.

He can clearly set us up well when the emphasis is not to lose, and try to sneak something on the break or with the few chances that come our way. But a Rangers manager must be able to set us up to break down teams that do the same to us, and his record in those games is pretty shocking. Given we play more of those type games than the backs to the wall type games, it goes without saying he has to find a way to win those games or he wont last the season.

Our keeper had his easiest game of the season, and Wilson and Bates (and Alves for 20 mins) all put in great performances. The surprise for me was how well John and Tav defended. Very professional, very focused. I kept hearing how Sinclair and Forrest are superstars and are tearing defences to pieces every week. Well neither of our full backs are very good defensively, but they had the two super-wingers in their pockets, save one lovely run from Sinclair where I thought Candieas and Tav got in each others road.

In midfield it was all about stifling them. McCrorie and Holt gave us a solid base, while Nico struggled with the pace of the game but still worked hard, kept the shape, and linked up well with our wingers and Morelos in the few occasions we had possession in forward areas.

Our two wide players were excellent defensively, but contributed very little as an attacking threat. Candieas put in a couple of good crosses, but neither player got in beside Morelos to help at any time.

And as for our star striker, well he had a bit of a stinker, on the biggest stage of all. Could have walked off with the match ball on another day. He works really hard, but he is there to score goals and take chances, and today was not a good day for him.

I would have bitten your hand off for a goalless draw before the game, so I am delighted with the result. But every time I see them, the tims look a really poor side. I have no idea why they are lauded so much.

I read online that there is nobody in the Rangers team that would get into the celtic team, and that may be so for celtic supporters, but there is nobody in their side I would want to spend big money on to bring to us either. I like Griffiths but wouldnt want him at Rangers, Gordon is definitely an improvement on Wes but isnt worth £20Kpw, Sinclair didnt look anything special to me, Dembele looks like a player they bought for £500K (will never understand how they have managed to manipulate the press into talking him into a £20M player) and I would prefer Morelos to him. Armstrong, Brown, Forrest & McGregor are all average players that wouldnt get into any celtic side of the 90's or 00's, never mind our side. If only we had a decent manager, this season could have been so so so much different.

Good post mate.

On your point about Murty setting us up as a hard to beat counter attacking team, that is a good observation. I reckon if we had a fully fit Kranjcar or Laudrup instead of Windass, the attacking system would work against the bus parkers. I think it only needs to have that one player with a bit of magic, oh and Ally McCoist to knock it in from five yards out.