The winter shutdown

There was probably too much Premier League games over the Christmas period. 6 games in about 3 weeks is too much, you cant keep up. I like having games over the period though and not a fan of the break.

That said, like Gav Id be up for summer football with the SPL.

Lets face it the whole SPFL premier league is crap. It looks like when the top 6 break comes one or two teams will have played rangers 3 times at Ibrox. Unfortunately that may be a good thing for them.

30 minutes ago, pete said:

Lets face it the whole SPFL premier league is crap. It looks like when the top 6 break comes one or two teams will have played rangers 3 times at Ibrox. Unfortunately that may be a good thing for them.

Agreed and an 18 team league should be in place with 2 or 3 divisions max. Although the 18 team league can wait for now to keep Dundee Utd out of the top tier :-)

I wish the winter shutdown lasted from November to February. going to the football in the freezing cold and/or pishing rain, slipping and sliding on the streets outside, sitting beside guys who sneeze all over you all afternoon, watching football of a poor quality because the weather is making it harder for the players to play to their best.

Now move those fixtures from November - February and put them in June-August, where it is warmer, drier, the pitches are better, you dont need to go with 10 layers of thermals on, (visits to Aberdeen aside!), and watch better quality football as well.

It's a no-brainer. If football was starting from scratch today, I am certain our season would be March-October.

Sadly, I dont think we will ever embrace this in our backward wee country.

5 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I wish the winter shutdown lasted from November to February. going to the football in the freezing cold and/or pishing rain, slipping and sliding on the streets outside, sitting beside guys who sneeze all over you all afternoon, watching football of a poor quality because the weather is making it harder for the players to play to their best.

Now move those fixtures from November - February and put them in June-August, where it is warmer, drier, the pitches are better, you dont need to go with 10 layers of thermals on, (visits to Aberdeen aside!), and watch better quality football as well.

It's a no-brainer. If football was starting from scratch today, I am certain our season would be March-October.

I agree with TB. I've missed a few evening games over the past few months due to the weather. I can't handle the really cold nights, and I'm not the only one. There's quite a few around me that have missed a few games.

It's crap sitting in the cold stands getting frozen. 

If you want to improve the football on show and increase attendances then move it to the summer.

5 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I don't know about you Tannoch but the last bit of sun I saw was around April. It has pished constantly since then.

Summer football won't improve attendances.  Most people go away for a week or two between May and September, meaning they won't get to games.  I suspect this is a reason why Summer football is less likely.  

28 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Summer football won't improve attendances.  Most people go away for a week or two between May and September, meaning they won't get to games.  I suspect this is a reason why Summer football is less likely.  

People may plan their holidays around away games.

Is the summer stuff not more about avoiding international summer tournaments?

European championships and world cups, (no laughing at the back) certainly used to impact a lot. Ok ok I know we are not exactly lush with internationalists in the spl but I'm sure that's where it came from originally