Pacific Quay Musings?

21 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Suspiciously, a story regarding Gordon Neely has made it to number three on the most watched videos on the BBC news website. A story from May no less!

An orchestrated campaign by dhims in denial who have nothing better to do on their holidays? Or facilitation by techs in PQ, Media City or Network?

Celtic’s online propaganda machine in full flow.

Or one compliant BBC employee up to their old tricks.

Or both.

Deflection(i).

These last fifteen years, BBC Scotland has led two angles of attack on Rangers. The first was songs being sung by Rangers supporters. An opening league fixture in Inverness saw the Bears notch a 0-3 victory and Beeb Scotland commentator, John Barnes reassured the listening audience that sectarian chanting was unacceptable. A further reassurance was supplied with the promise that track side reporter, Chic Young had been sent to find the official SPL Observer, to ensure the chanting was included in his report. We have all endured Scottish Government intervention, resultant charges of aggravated breach of the peace, and calamitous court cases. The collated stats proved supporters of ra Sellik were disproportionately responsible, almost a fifth of the population accrued over a third of convictions. The ongoing lack of service provided to license fee paying Rangers supporters emanates from Chris McLaughlin beginning a match report at Easter Road with, "four Rangers supporters have been arrested for alleged sectarian chanting". Further, a BBC Alba colleague of McLaughlin, was the FARE representative that reported Rangers to UEFA after a Champions League fixture in Villarreal.

James Kelly MSP led the charge to repeal the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act and inadvertently removed a stick from BBC Scotland's armory. Sportscene is PQ's flag ship football show. It has secured highlights packages these last several years. Mostly, it's five minutes of goals and incidents. When the O'Hara brothers were Beeb staffers, it was weaponised to attack referees and linesmen. Ra Sellik were constant vicTIMS of outrageous, unexplainable decisions. The clips were repeatedly broadcast over both sports and news, it was leading debate. The officials took exception and embarked on industrial action, we experienced a referee strike. Amazingly, no one references that period, accepted now that ra Sellik overplayed a hand. The officials were the victims, and well, Sellik wanted to move on to being above that type of thing. It's been quietly put to bed, no one wants to talk about it.

The more recent angle of attack is an adjustment to the highlights packages. Added to a reinforced, coordinated element ie incidents first flagged up by live radio commentary; in short, get after ra Sellik's opponents. The scrutiny is mostly on Rangers. This season, it's Morelos and to a lesser extent, McGregor. Last season, it was Ryan Jack. Big Dick has a mantra, 'the Compliance Officer might well be interested'. It's well practised, live radio commentary asks the question, 'will Hearts be aggrieved'? Big Dick picks up that cue at half/full time, checks with that day's nominated VAR correspondent inside PQ, and if it has legs, then Big Dick confirms, 'Michael Stewart has seen the incident and it should have been red'. They have created an awareness and appetite; further, a demand is ready and waiting for Sportscene's five minute highlights package, to deliver. The debate has been created and led, further discussions reinforce.

Clare Whyte is the SFA's fourth Compliance Officer, all Sellik supporters. Increasingly, Beeb Scotland name her, as opposed to referral by designation. They expect her to deliver on evidence selected and provided by them. It's a neat strategy by proxy, Sellik turned officials into victims, it's the complaining actions by Rangers and Rangers supporters that ensure they remain victims. PQ regularly taunt the club by sneering, 'we await another statement from the club'.

Deflection(ii).

Half time on Saturday had commentator in the PQ studio, Liam McLeod bemoaning Rangers good fortune, "Ryan Jack got lucky, his strike deflected off Brown". Pat Bonner found it easy to live with that, "yes, yes, very lucky". Big Dick, mindful of symbiotic matters agreed, "Craig Gordon had that covered, a fortunate deflection took it into the net". Well done Thommo, he lowered his EBT on to the naughty step for a second and spat back, "the level of Rangers dominance meant they created their own luck, it's the least Rangers deserved". A heavy silence

ensued.

Deflection(iii).

Before Saturday's game, Tom English launched into a three-four minute rant on the effectiveness of Steven Gerrard. He got the awkward caveats of Europa Cup football out of the way right from the off, "they've played a few extra European games, they didn't have that last season". Actually, fourteen European games, and you forgot to mention the nearly £9 million revenue banked; we didn't have that last season either. Tom's main thrust was, "domestically". Apparently, we are a point better off, we've only won four away league games, and the recent defeat to Aberdeen and draw with Hibs has tarnished our decent home record. Further, we have not defeated any of the main challengers, have not won a game that mattered. Here's me thinking winning handsomely against Hearts at Ibrox when they were top of the league, counted as defeating a challenger. Further, again defeating the Jambos at Tynecastle(first win there since returning to the Premiership) with ten men, to go top of the league for the first time in seven- eight years, also counted? The thing is, all the other contributors to the live broadcast agreed with BBC Scotland's Chief Sports Writer's rant, unequivocally.

After the game, Tom sang both Gerrard's and Rangers' praises. Obviously, he had forgotten the venomous rant, and none of the contributors saw fit to remind him; thus confronting him with a quite ridiculous volte-face. 

I noticed the Sportscene commentator* said that Brendan Rodgers has never lost a "big marquee match" during his time at Celtc, during the weekend's highlights.  

Is he forgetting the absolute humpings they took off Barcelona and PSG?

You would hope it's just sheer incompetence but there's plenty of evidence to verify the definite bias.  These 'journalists' should be bloody ashamed of themselves.

*I don't normally watch but couldn't resist on Sunday

31 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I noticed the Sportscene commentator* said that Brendan Rodgers has never lost a "big marquee match" during his time at Celtc, during the weekend's highlights.  

Is he forgetting the absolute humpings they took off Barcelona and PSG?

You would hope it's just sheer incompetence but there's plenty of evidence to verify the definite bias.  These 'journalists' should be bloody ashamed of themselves.

*I don't normally watch but couldn't resist on Sunday

There's a distinct discomfort with ra Yahoos over constant, humiliating defeats in Europe. Positive spin must be found. Last week, the Herald's Neil Cameron(depressed Yahoo of ra Parish) interviewed Anthony Ralston. The youngster argued that being part of ra Sellik's defence, whilst being trounced 7-1 against PSG, "made me a far better defender".

Watching Anthony playing right back on Saturday for the entire half, I was struck by a few observations :

1. A modern full back is a sinewy, lithe, and wiry specimen. Ralston looks fairly heavy set.

2. Ralston does not possess the height required by modern day central defenders.

3. Next season, Jum Spence will be conducting his welcoming interview to Tannadice. 

55 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

You would hope it's just sheer incompetence but there's plenty of evidence to verify the definite bias

You don’t have to look past the preference to refer to Celtic as “The Champions” by most in the BBC. It’s fair enough sometimes but there’s obviously something wrong when it’s practically the default. 

I didn't hear Tom English talking about our domestic record but despite the caveats I’d probably have agreed with him. Gerard’s record pre-old firm was the exact record that got Warburton sacked, and 1 point off Caixinha/Murty’s record by end of year old firm match. Hopefully we’ve turned the corner now. 

12 hours ago, DMAA said:

You don’t have to look past the preference to refer to Celtic as “The Champions” by most in the BBC. It’s fair enough sometimes but there’s obviously something wrong when it’s practically the default. 

I didn't hear Tom English talking about our domestic record but despite the caveats I’d probably have agreed with him. Gerard’s record pre-old firm was the exact record that got Warburton sacked, and 1 point off Caixinha/Murty’s record by end of year old firm match. Hopefully we’ve turned the corner now. 

Wrt points totals comparsons,................I think they only tell part of the story.

The top flight this year is much more competitive with more teams able to get results against the Old Firm and this is represented by looking at the drop-off in points won by Celtic. We have improved and been able to remain on a similar points total, whilst they have went backwards and lost ground.

The more important measure is the league table and here we are on the same number of points as Celtic, who have a game in hand. Hence, on top of the European group stages and it's associated benefits, we are much closer to the top of the table under SG&Co.

--------------

IIRC one phrase that Rodgers used in his first year accross the city, was that he'd be judged in Europe.

It seems as though PQ don't want to remember that or hold him to it.

Their memory can be more elephant like when it comes to others.

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

The top flight this year is much more competitive with more teams able to get results against the Old Firm

This has been often repeated but it’s not true, Celtic performing far worse is the only difference. 

We’ve dropped 4 points to a much less competitive Hibs side who’s squad was decimated at the end of last season. We’ve dropped 5 to a clearly weakened Aberdeen. 2 to a much weakened Motherwell. 2 to a much weaker Dundee. In the 9 games we’ve dropped points the only teams which are stronger are Kilmarnock (who were also very strong last year) and Livi (who are better than the team they replaced).

Just now, DMAA said:

This has been often repeated but it’s not true, Celtic performing far worse is the only difference. 

We’ve dropped 4 points to a much less competitive Hibs side who’s squad was decimated at the end of last season. We’ve dropped 5 to a clearly weakened Aberdeen. 2 to a much weakened Motherwell. 2 to a much weaker Dundee. In the 9 games we’ve dropped points the only teams which are stronger are Kilmarnock (who were also very strong last year) and Livi (who are better than the team they replaced).

I think it is true but do agree that Celtic have went backwards.

I think the midtable level has improved and is reflected not only in points totals but in the subsequent away records of the teams at the top of the table.

13 hours ago, DMAA said:

Whilst nobody can deny the technical fact that Gerrard’s record was the same as Warburton’s and just a point better than Caixinha it always surprises me how we never seem to consider the qualitative as well as the quantitative.

Yes, same points that got Warburton sacked.  However, Warburton has been there for 18 months and his team/squad was settled.  Gerrard’s has been thrown together in a much shorter space of time.  Add to that the fact that Gerrard’s team has played almost a season’s worth of games in 5 months.

And when comparing to Caixinha you could look at all the above along with the fact that Caixinha’s team never really seemed to have a playing style or philosophy and the players often looked as if they had no idea what was expected of them.

We’ll ignore the points dropped due to “honest mistakes” from officials as all 3/4 managers probably suffered poor officiating, though it does seem more prevalent this year to me (though Beaton’s performance at Ibrox against hibs last year trumps anything I’ve ever seen).

None of the above can dispute the quantitative fact you provided.  But I also find it a bit unfair of us to ignore the qualitative.