I thought he was an absolute donkey and so completely out of his depth at Rangers he was going to be the ginger Scott Nisbet. I was being harsh on Nisbet there. 

I may have been a trifle hasty in that judgement. He definitely looked like a proper defender recently. That might be because we now have a manager who has some understanding of defending of course. On balance he's earned his spot and if he can keep it in the next few weeks then aye, he's earned a new contract offer. 

Having seen most of his games for Under 20's (although he was an overage player) I was very surprised that he made the break through to the first team. He has proved me and a lot of others wrong, but to be where we want to be I think we need better.

I see parallels with Stephen McManus, having seen a lot of him at youth level I was shocked he broke in to Celtic's first team. Ultimately he turned into a competent defender, captaining Celtic and playing for Scotland.

I never thought David Bates would be at Rangers beyond his current contract, but I think he has done well enough to justify a new contract within reason.

I am going to put the cat amongst the pigeons and say, I don't think he is near good enough to play in Europe or take us on to the next level. Unless he will accept a 1 year contract, I would release him. We really need better players.