Are We Improving?

The form of the top 3 is exactly the same for the last five games. Three wins a draw and a loss. Just in a slightly different order for each. 

As far as season by season improvement goes, as long as we keep progressing, I don't care about the rest

Apparently, our away form is the best in the league'

Our home form is truly appalling. Taking responsibility for the game at Ibrox does not suit us, more space in behind for the opposition to exploit.

Overall, I am encouraged we are six points better off, and scoring more goals. 

There is no questions we have a better first eleven, and a better squad.  It's therefore no surprise that we are scoring more.  However, we are not playing with any identifiable or repeatable style.  I never know which Rangers team is going to show up and that's a concern.  Under MW we knew how we would play and that was somehow predictable for the opposition yet strangely comforting since we could be consistent.  Under PC we knew we'd be playing a very direct style but equally knew we'd be likely to concede goals due to poor defensive organisation.  It's perhaps too early for Murty but I can't see what our style of play is.  I couldn't even describe what our style is based on.  It seems to haphazard which suggests a lack of clarity in the players' understanding.

So, in answer to the question, we are improving for some people that will base it on more goals, or more points, but for us to win the league we really need to be able to turn up most (if not every) weeks and dominate, and have teams know that they are for a tough game against a domineering team.  We don't do that as far I can see.  As you know, I am one of the most optimistic members of the forum, but I can't see how we can win the league without a clear direction and then commitment to a particular style of play.  I'd really like someone (preferably the manager or DoF) to help define what it is.  Then we can watch for progress.  What I liked with PC and MW was that they were clear about their styles.  The problem was that they just couldn't implement them well enough to win games.  MW's was all about retaining the ball, probing for gaps, but being patient.  PC's was about taking advantage of our opponents during transitions by being direct with our strikers who anticipated the transition.  What is Murty's style?  Anyone?

It is an improvement and is not to be scoffed at,if the team can get the mental side of things right at home it will get better.

As for set up of team,style of play,formation etc.there is too much emphasis on following paper led systems.Oh for the old days when we had wingers,Henderson,Wilson,Scott and so on who would send in crosses to Millar,Brand,Forrest and so on no fancy number formations then.

Wait we have wingers Candeias,Murphy,we have centre forwards Cummings,Morelos,so things should not be much different but the psychological and diagram based stuff seems to be stifling abilities.

12 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

It is an improvement and is not to be scoffed at,if the team can get the mental side of things right at home it will get better.

As for set up of team,style of play,formation etc.there is too much emphasis on following paper led systems.Oh for the old days when we had wingers,Henderson,Wilson,Scott and so on who would send in crosses to Millar,Brand,Forrest and so on no fancy number formations then.

Wait we have wingers Candeias,Murphy,we have centre forwards Cummings,Morelos,so things should not be much different but the psychological and diagram based stuff seems to be stifling abilities.

Gone are the days when you said, 'you're playing here; go and play'. Teams are far too organised for that now.