Spot the difference..

Almost three years to the day since Mike Ashley tried to do the exact same thing, the board have applied to take out mortgages over Edmonton House and the Albion car park. Back then there were riots outside the stadium when we played Hearts, but not this time. Can anyone explain to me how it’s different this time?

The statement from the club was certainly well timed, stifling panic before the story came into the public domain. But it’s not really true - a secured lending facility is not the same as an overdraft; other clubs do not have their assets used as a guarantee against their debts; and you do not grant a security just so you can “dip in and out” of debt, you would only provide a standard security if you are getting cash up front. Why was it worse when Ashley did it? 

Also, how does it make sense to knock back a £8million offer for a player we’ve already replaced, if we need this cash?? Fair play to Jim Traynor though, he pre-empted any protests with a well timed statement this week. Anybody who doubts his value to the club should consider how well he has sold this to the fans. However for me, this news is no cause for celebration at all. 

9 hours ago, 917 said:

Almost three years to the day since Mike Ashley tried to do the exact same thing, the board have applied to take out mortgages over Edmonton House and the Albion car park. Back then there were riots outside the stadium when we played Hearts, but not this time. Can anyone explain to me how it’s different this time?

The statement from the club was certainly well timed, stifling panic before the story came into the public domain. But it’s not really true - a secured lending facility is not the same as an overdraft; other clubs do not have their assets used as a guarantee against their debts; and you do not grant a security just so you can “dip in and out” of debt, you would only provide a standard security if you are getting cash up front. Why was it worse when Ashley did it? 

Also, how does it make sense to knock back a £8million offer for a player we’ve already replaced, if we need this cash?? Fair play to Jim Traynor though, he pre-empted any protests with a well timed statement this week. Anybody who doubts his value to the club should consider how well he has sold this to the fans. However for me, this news is no cause for celebration at all. 

I just want to correct you on your point about a security.  It is very common to have a standard security in place for an overdraft (in fact it's unusual not to have it if the business isn't banked with the lender) so I don't know where you get your info from.

Also, we obviously decided we need the player more than the cash, so if you want to know the difference between now and back 'then', there's your answer.