Steven Davis on a return to Ibrox Rumour!

It really depresses me when I see fading players like Davis or Miller getting handed new contracts.

They did us a turn and for that I thank them.

But they have no sell on value. We'd be paying top dollar for "experience" and nothing else . Neither of them at their current age will win us a league title or make a difference in Europe.

When they finally hang up their boots a space is perceived to be left.

When we went to the bottom division we should have signed 30 youths aged 16 and stuck with them. One or two diamonds would have been turned up with the correct coaching.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Davis would improve the team. If he's available on a free then it seems like a no brainer. 

Agreed, can't understand the fans who don't want him! he is an established EPL midfielder, he isn't too old, if money isn't an issue and we can't keep Goss then it's an easy one for me, I'd take him as long as he wouldn't be costing us too much.

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Rather we tried to sign Sean Goss on a permanent deal than Steve Davis

The one does not exclude the other. The problem with Goss is that we'd probably have to fork up hard cash to get him from QPR ... and I harbour my doubts that we can afford that unless we sell someone for serious money, or indeed make it into the CL.

Davis is a good player but we need to build the team for an assault on the league and he is only likely to have a year left in him.  He was a really good player for us and I think we'd be better leaving it at that.

6 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Davis is a good player but we need to build the team for an assault on the league and he is only likely to have a year left in him.  He was a really good player for us and I think we'd be better leaving it at that.

It could be argued he is a better player now than when he was with us!

25 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

It could be argued he is a better player now than when he was with us!

That's quite possible Ian but how much longer will he last?  I think we've just been burned too many times by signing older players, which is why I'd rather take the option of a younger player who can be part of the team over the next 3-4 years at least.  Davis may make us better next season but it's not necessarily next season that's important.  I'd like us to develop a team next season that's then able to grow together and make a real attempt at the league the following season.  Playing Davis might just take valuable game time away from players that can contribute when it really matters in the following seasons.

If you think we can win the league next season then maybe he's worth the risk, but I'm not sure that's realistic.  What do you think?

I'd take Davis. He may not be what he was, and he has fallen out of first-team choice in the EPL -- although he still plays a lot -- but he's still a quality midfielder that can play anywhere in the middle (DM, No.8, No.10, he's played them all recently). And, his experience is top-class. 

I can understand why Murty wouldn't want him, though: getting on a bit (33), no sell-on value, and you'd need to build a team around him -- or he plays a bit-part role, coming in for certain games, but I'm not sure the cost would be worth that, nor do I think Davis would want that either.

I'm staggered that anyone wouldn't want Steven Davis to sign. Not only should we sign him we should make him captain and offer him a coaching role with the youths. Davis captained a country of 1.8 million people (40% of who won't play for them) to the second round of the Euros, he's got 100 caps and has played his entire career in the Scottish or English top flight. He's 33, not 103, he's easily got another 3 years at our level in him. I read people saying we've got too many 'old' players! Miller, Kranjcar and Alves are veterans, but I suspect at least two of them will leave in the summer, Wallace and Dorrans are 30, Martin is 32 but only on loan. Everyone else in our squad is in their teens or 20s, we've got a need to add some experience. 

Davis is one of these players fans rarely appreciate. He's the quiet, thoughtful, worker building moves, offering angles, making space and covering others, he's essential to every good side. It's telling that the only manager who didn't want Davis was Martin O'Neill, a manager for who a midfield was something to kick the ball over and to take set-pieces.

Davis would be a wonderful signing, a guy who knows what it takes to win leagues and cups and pull on the light blue jersey.