Louis Moult 'back on Rangers radar'...?

51 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Ally McCoist was a "flop" at Sunderland.

Brian Laudrup was a "flop" at Fiorentina.

Steve Davis was a "flop" at Aston Villa and Fulham.

James Tavernier was a "flop" at both Newcastle and Wigan. 

Sone Aluko was a "flop" at Birmingham City. 

Some careers go backwards before they go forwards again. 

He was not really a flop.

He was player of the year for Villa, then moved to Fulham to work under Lawrie Sanchez.

When Sanchez left we snapped him up.

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

1 hour ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

He was not really a flop.

He was player of the year for Villa, then moved to Fulham to work under Lawrie Sanchez.

When Sanchez left we snapped him up.

He was discarded by Matin O'Neill after initially doing well under David O'Leary prior to O'Neill taking over. Likewise he was discarded by Roy Hodgson when he took over after being bought by his predecessor Sanchez. 

My point in this is that a player can do poorly under one manager but very well under another. Many, many players who enjoy successful careers were at one time described as "flops". People forget that Gareth Bale was dropped in favour of Assou-Ekotto something that was warmly greeted by the Spurs support at the time. Describing Moult as a "flop" is as accurate as describing Davis as one. 

12 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

He was discarded by Matin O'Neill after initially doing well under David O'Leary prior to O'Neill taking over. Likewise he was discarded by Roy Hodgson when he took over after being bought by his predecessor Sanchez. 

My point in this is that a player can do poorly under one manager but very well under another. Many, many players who enjoy successful careers were at one time described as "flops". People forget that Gareth Bale was dropped in favour of Assou-Ekotto something that was warmly greeted by the Spurs support at the time. Describing Moult as a "flop" is as accurate as describing Davis as one. 

Surely his record at Preston suggests he is a 'flop' there?

You're correct that it doesn't work out for some players at certain clubs, and that we can't rule anyone out from one spell. 

I was ambivalent about signing him when he played for Motherwell, but I'd certainly take him if we can get him for a decent price; there is probably more chance of that now he's left Scotland.  

I haven't followed him down there so I can't comment on whether Moult is a flop or not.  However, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Mark Allen will be a flop if Moult is the best target we have.

Edited by Gaffer

42 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Yes and I agree, but I would still argue out of all the players mentioned I would not regard his pre Rangers career as a flop. He was only 23 and was previously Aston Villas player of the year.

In terms of Moult is hard to say whether he would be a success, I mean Waghorn and Garner are doing very well at Ipswich at the moment but fell way short of the standard required here.

23 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Yes and I agree, but I would still argue out of all the players mentioned I would not regard his pre Rangers career as a flop. He was only 23 and was previously Aston Villas player of the year.

In terms of Moult is hard to say whether he would be a success, I mean Waghorn and Garner are doing very well at Ipswich at the moment but fell way short of the standard required here.

Apples and pears spring to mind.

35 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I haven't followed him down there so I can't comment on whether Moult is a flop or not.  However, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Mark Allen will be a flop if Moult is the best target we have.

I don't think he is a target and will either adapt to his new club or move on to another English team. AFAIK, he went back to England for family reasons (too), which is largely ignored.

Intriguing is the state of both Miller and Hardie. The former might be offered a coaching role, but may probably look for another season or two as player, which IMHO will only happen elsewhere. Hardie has scored wherever he plays and I would assume that we will offer him a deal, just to be on the safe side. I take it that Cummings and Murphy will sign up permanently, but who knows what will happen with Morelos. If he keeps scoring and is having a good game or two this summer, someone with deeper pockets than us will sure come calling.

And, something which we should keep in mind, the Colombian (unless unpicked) may be away while we prepare for Europe ... with as of now only Herrera and him on a permanent deal.

2009–2012 Stoke City 1 (0)
2010  Bradford City (loan) 11 (1)
2011  Mansfield Town (loan) 3 (2)
2011  Accrington Stanley (loan) 4 (0)
2011  Mansfield Town (loan) 1 (0)
2012  Alfreton Town (loan) 1 (0)
2012–2013 Northampton Town 13 (1)
2013  Nuneaton Town (loan) 17 (1)
2013–2014 Nuneaton Town 43 (17)
2014–2015 Wrexham 39 (16)
2015–2018 Motherwell 84 (38)
2018– Preston North End 6 (0)

No thanks.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

One player regularly plays in the EPL, where he has spent most of his career. The other has languished around the lower divisions, Motherwell and is failing at Preston. Moult is not what we need. All he has achieved is scoring some goals for 2 and a bit seasons in a diddy league - and he is about to turn 26.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy