Ross McCrorie started training

If he's back soon, I'm really hoping Murty will use it to put a rocket up Windass in an effort to get him to work harder in games.  If Windass won't do it, I'd use Docherty in the more advanced role with Goss and McCrorie behind him.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd stick Dorrans, McCrorie and Goss in a midfield three.  McCrorie always in front of the defence, Goss and Dorrans ahead of him.  

Again, isn't it funny how differently people see a player?  Docherty would be a first pick in my team for every game, and yet he isn't even in your midfield at all.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

Again, isn't it funny how differently people see a player?  Docherty would be a first pick in my team for every game, and yet he isn't even in your midfield at all.

I actually meant Docherty, not Goss.  I doubt Goss will be here next season and he's not as good as that three anyway.

There's a young Ajax player, de Ligt, that plays provisionally as a CB in their 4-3-3, but then at times pushes into Midfield to create a 3-4-3; he's equally comfortable in both positions. It allows Ajax to switch formation mid-game to suit the circumstances of the moment. This young man is instrumental; he's 18. 

It's a joy to watch how this kid pushes up, usually with the ball at his feet dribbling past a player, then the Full-backs acknowledge it and drop back to create a back-three. 

McCrorie has the potential to do similar. I'm not sure what his best position is?

Although it does require more defensive Full-backs, that can move back to create a back-three when De Ligt moves forward; I'm not sure we have that. Wallace has experience of playing in a back-three, however briefly.

I suppose we could start with a back-three, with McCrorie there, in a 3-4-3, then he can push forward to create a 4-3-3, with our Full-backs creating a normal back-four?

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

There's a young Ajax player, de Ligt, that plays provisionally as a CB in their 4-3-3, but then at times pushes into Midfield to create a 3-4-3; he's equally comfortable in both positions. It allows Ajax to switch formation mid-game to suit the circumstances of the moment. This young man is instrumental; he's 18. 

It's a joy to watch how this kid pushes up, usually with the ball at his feet dribbling past a player, then the Full-backs acknowledge it and drop back to create a back-three. 

McCrorie has the potential to do similar. I'm not sure what his best position is?

Although it does require more defensive Full-backs, that can move back to create a back-three when De Ligt moves forward; I'm not sure we have that. Wallace has experience of playing in a back-three, however briefly.

I suppose we could start with a back-three, with McCrorie there, in a 3-4-3, then he can push forward to create a 4-3-3, with our Full-backs creating a normal back-four?

I understand that, but would you think McCrorie moving into midfield causes more of an attacking threat (or advantage) than our wingbacks?  Tav and John are two of our best attackers so I'd prefer they were moving forward rather than a CB.  I do however accept that in a 3-4-3, the wingbacks are generally not doing the same overlapping runs as they do in our current formation.  It just seems a big change to accommodate McCrorie, albeit he is someone worth building a team around.

Whatever happens, the manager will have a tough challenge in working out how best to set the team up when all players are fit.  Bates, McCrorie, Tav, John, Wallace, Docherty, Dorrans, Goss, Jack, Murphy, Candeias, Morelos are all players that we'd want on the field, and possibly one or two others.  It'll be interesting to see how it all fits.  We have the freedom to speculate without the threat of losing our jobs if it doesn't work.

Mark Allen also has a tough job because to a certain extent he'll want to know the system we are playing to know what players to go after in the summer.  If we change the coach, will he be able to change the system, and therefore require a change of player?